Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Asset for affidavit support?

Wikiposts

Asset for affidavit support?

Old Nov 16th 2010, 12:05 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Asset for affidavit support?

Originally Posted by blaze2363
... we want to live together, not falling apart...
If your wife doesn't earn enough to sponsor you, and you can't find a joint sponsor, you can live together in Iran but not in the US.

-she does not have any religious ties in USA...
How is this relevant?

If we want to use asset and cash, we need 5x more than what she would have needed to show in income.
A spouse only needs 3x the amount; everyone else needs 5x.

I have every thing in Iran to show that I have positive income level, also assets of all of my family and her family too...
If your income stops once you move to the US, you can't use it.

thanks for your kind help,all of you people...
If your wife does not earn enough to be your financial sponsor and you can not get a joint sponsor, then your wife will need to return to the US ahead of you, and get a job that will support both of you. That's the bottom line, and there is no getting around it.

Ian
Old Nov 16th 2010, 3:15 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Your wife has checked with all her friends? Any relatives living in the USA? Her mosque or church or religious group she belongs to, if any? Do you have any friends or relatives living in the USA yourself that you can ask?
-she does not have any religious ties in USA..
Originally Posted by ian-mstm
How is this relevant?
Ian,

blaze was responding to one of the ideas I suggested, see quotes above.

Rene
Old Nov 16th 2010, 3:29 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

my wife lives with me in Iran , I work and earn for the living ,she does not work
Thank you for this information, I didn't know your wife was currently living in Iran. What US address did she use on the I-130? She must know someone in the USA in order to have a US address, right?

The family told me that she could stay in US and work for a year so she herself can support me,
I agree with the family, at this point it looks like your only option.

but both of us don't like the idea, we want to live together , not falling apart,
Why would living apart for a while make your marriage fall apart? Of course you want to be together, but sometimes circumstances don't allow it, especially with immigration. My Iranian husband and I still live apart, even in the USA, because he couldn't find work in the city where we live, and my stable work and insurance is here...so we decided to spend time apart and still keep a stable lifestyle.

any suggestion if she could work and we still be together ?
There's no way to do this immediately. Her income needs to be US-based (or have some kind of income that will continue in the USA...not likely to happen from Iran). Since this would mean her coming to the USA ahead of you, there's no way to stay together throughout the whole process.

should she work for a year , or 6 month or less than it to support me herself?
She should work long enough to have a few pay slips in her possession before filing the I-864. Of course you have to factor in how long it will take her to FIND a job in the USA as well.

As a side note, I'm just curious how you are doing an Immigrant Visa process from Iran? I know you can do some things from the internet...but how did she file the I-130 package? Was she living in the USA at that time? Who is checking her mail in the USA, at the US address she used on the I-130 (maybe her sister who lives in the USA)? Doesn't she have to send anything via mail to NVC? When NVC requests civil documents to be sent, how will you send them from Iran?

If we want to use asset and cash, we need 5x more than what she would have needed to show in income.
As others have pointed out, this only needs to be 3x the amount. They give a break to married couples.

I have every thing in Iran to show that I have positive income level, also assets of all of my family and her family too,
Unfortunately, having everything in Iran doesn't count. It has to be in the USA.

The idea of selling the house is my last one, because we surely face so much loss to move the cash out side of the country and also the government does not agree to move the cash to other country easily. !we should pay them a lot to agree with. this is the most hardest way.
I agree with this.

Also I think the cash in bank will be blocked until the support finishes and it may take at least 7 or 5 years (2 year for removing conditional LPR, 5 or 3 years to get citizenship) am I right?
No, you are wrong. The cash will not be blocked at any time.

Also we want to save our situation in Iran, I don't want to ruin all of the bridge we left behind because I am responsible for the family and in every situation ,it is me that must support family for suitable life.
I agree with this.

I guess if I were you, I'd have your wife move to the USA ahead of you, secure a job, get a few paystubs in her possession, and then proceed with the I-864 and the rest of the immigration process.

I do not think your property in Iran will work as an asset, even if you wanted to try, because even if you sell it and have the cash in hand, it's very difficult to transfer it to the USA.

Just curious, are you going to interview in Ankara? We did, and it was a good experience.

Rene
Old Nov 16th 2010, 1:25 pm

EU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud of

Dear blaze2363,
unfortunately, USCIS does only care whether the sponsor has income or not. I know what you feel....my ex was on unemployment before AOS and I was stressed! I thought that I can show my properties and bank accounts to USCIS. Nope, they do not care. However, he got a job by the time of AOS.

I would send your wife to US (if you really can not find a co-sponsor) get any kind of jobs asap just to meet the income guideline and you can join her pretty soon. But first consult with an attorney.

I wish you good luck and happiness.

Last edited by EU_Girl; Nov 16th 2010 at 1:29 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 6:50 pm
C_C
Forum Regular

C_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud ofC_C has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by EU_Girl
Dear blaze2363,
unfortunately, USCIS does only care whether the sponsor has income or not. I know what you feel....my ex was on unemployment before AOS and I was stressed! I thought that I can show my properties and bank accounts to USCIS. Nope, they do not care.
Sorry, but this isn't true. The intending immigrant's liquidable assets (e.g. bank savings) CAN be used for the affidavit of support, as long as the intending immigrant has lived with the sponsor for at least 6 months continuously prior to AOS. And I'm not even sure if the 6-month rule is still in force, as I believe I heard otherwise, but don't quote me on that. The same goes for income coming from the intending immigrant if it continues after the move and there is evidence for that (e.g. if the intending immigrant is being transferred within the same company).
It's all on the I-864 guidelines and it's been accepted by ConOffs time and time before.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by C_C
Sorry, but this isn't true. The intending immigrant's liquidable assets (e.g. bank savings) CAN be used for the affidavit of support, as long as the intending immigrant has lived with the sponsor for at least 6 months continuously prior to AOS. And I'm not even sure if the 6-month rule is still in force, as I believe I heard otherwise, but don't quote me on that. The same goes for income coming from the intending immigrant if it continues after the move and there is evidence for that (e.g. if the intending immigrant is being transferred within the same company).
It's all on the I-864 guidelines and it's been accepted by ConOffs time and time before.
That 6-month rule is no longer in place. In general, it's true that the intending immigrant's assets can be counted on the I-864, but they have to be EASILY and READILY liquidable and the cash has to be EASILY and READILY transferred to the USA. Property in general is not as quickly liquidable as it used to be, and for the OP, the funds will be in Iran, which cannot be easily or readily transferred to the USA.

So although the sale of a home might work for someone living in Canada, who can just drive over the border with the cash...or at least have it in a bank account that can be wired over to the USA....this is not true for the OP of this thread.

Rene