Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Article of Consulate Enhanced Security Check

Article of Consulate Enhanced Security Check

Old Sep 7th 2002, 7:55 pm
Amelia Chang

Default Article of Consulate Enhanced Security Check

I post here very informative article regarding Consulate Security Check. I don't know
where the article originally came from. But I would think this would explain more
what has happened in Moscow, China, ....

Fact Sheet Bureau of Consular Affairs Washington, DC September 5, 2002

Initiatives by the Bureau of Consular Affairs To Enhance National Security

Since September 11, 2001, the Bureau of Consular Affairs has taken a number of
initiatives to improve and enhance border security. Following is a list of CA’s
recent accomplishments in the War on Terrorism:

Incorporated over 7 million records from the FBI’s National Crime Information
Center (NCIC) into our Consular Lookout and Support System (CLASS) namecheck
database, which will more than double the records on file to 15 million and
significantly enhance border security by giving consular officers overseas access to
critical information for visa adjudication. Received into CLASS a threefold increase
in namecheck records from the intelligence community (through TIPOFF) and will
incorporate records from the U.S. Marshals Service into the passport database portion
of CLASS. Implemented a training program for Consular Officers to better understand
the CLASS system, especially linguistically based namecheck returns. Successfully
rolled out the new Lincoln Nonimmigrant Visa, which contains major enhancements to
prevent alteration and duplication, in pilot posts overseas, with plans to complete
worldwide deployment by early 2003. Added more security checks for certain groups of
visa applicants from certain countries. Broadened definition of "terrorism" for visa
denial purposes. Implemented a supplemental visa application form for all men aged 16
to 45 from every country in the world. Provided access to the Consular Consolidated
Database (CCD) to adjudication officers worldwide, as well as to INS ports of entry.
Expanded distribution of electronic Intelligence Alerts on lost/stolen blank
documents, making them available to federal, state, and local agencies and to foreign
governments. Commenced a pilot program with the Virginia DMV to share information on
fraudulent foreign documents submitted in support of drivers license applications.
Undertook a program with SSA to introduce SSA investigators to training on detecting
fraudulent foreign documents, and to increase information sharing between SSA
investigators and passport agencies. Expanded intranet resources for consular
adjudicators to assist them in reading and verifying entry/exit cachets in Arabic or
Persian script. Developed a more secure way of canceling machine-readable visas to
deter "visa washing." Advanced action on establishing a standard for U.S. birth
certificates through the INS standing committee. Deployed the Consular Lost and
Stolen Passport (CLASP) lookout system to all overseas posts, serving as the central
repository for information regarding lost or stolen U.S. passports. Established
automated links to the FBI to check names for Security Advisory Opinions requested
from the field on potential visa issuances. Engaged in ongoing discussions with
Mexico and Canada about greater cooperation on immigration, security, and visa
issues. Closed loophole that allowed certain non-immigrant aliens to reenter the U.S.
with an expired visa. Approved an Entry-Exit Project Charter, drafted jointly with
INS, Customs, and DOT, which sets the parameters for an automated system to record
the arrivals, departures, and stay activities of individuals coming to and leaving
the U.S. Converted all domestic passport agencies to issue the new, more secure
photodigitized U.S. passport. Shifted production of all "non-emergency" overseas
passports from posts abroad to the U.S. to take advantage of the photodigitization
technology. Created a network connection for electronic access to digital images of
passport records to all passport agencies, consular posts, and authorized CA
Headquarters personnel. Implemented the Passport Lookout Tracking System (PLOTS),
containing roughly 100,000 fraud files and designed to virtually replicate fraud
files in real-time to any authorized CA user. Piloted the newest release of the
non-immigrant visa system (NIV), which incorporates imaging of serious visa refusals
into CA’s Consular Consolidated Database and are in the process of deploying it
worldwide. Undertook research on facial recognition, which includes excellent results
in spotting duplicates in our Diversity Visa program.

Old Sep 7th 2002, 8:43 pm

Default Re: Article of Consulate Enhanced Security Check

I also saw an article regarding a backlog of 700,000 change of address cards
(AR-11?)... The number received per day has increased to a point where they can't
process them.

Old Sep 8th 2002, 6:03 am
Mrs_blackross

Which is why i was very surprised to receive an I-797 NOA confirmation of sponsor's
change of address within three weeks of sending off the change of address form.
Thought they don't send those for address changes?? No receipt or anything for my own
change of address though....just for my husband the sponsor. weird..

<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I also saw an article regarding a backlog of 700,000 change of address cards
    > (AR-11?)... The number received per day has increased to a point where they can't
    > process them.

Old Sep 9th 2002, 3:36 am
L D Jones

Mrs_Blackross wrote:
    > Which is why i was very surprised to receive an I-797 NOA confirmation of sponsor's
    > change of address within three weeks of sending off the change of address form.
    > Thought they don't send those for address changes?? No receipt or anything for my
    > own change of address though....just for my husband the sponsor. weird..

I think you received the same thing I did which was an NOA for sponsor's change of
address (I-865). The big difference here, I think, is that this came from the service
center. All the AR-11 forms go to an address in Washington, DC (my wife and I have
added to the pile of unprocessed forms by sending 2 there, one with return recepit
requested which I doubt we will ever receive).

If the INS wants every move documented by an AR-11 they should be prepared to deal
with the blizzard of forms

Old Sep 9th 2002, 2:21 pm
Chris Parker

> All the AR-11 forms go to an address in Washington, DC (my wife and I have added to
    > the pile of unprocessed forms by sending 2 there, one with return recepit requested
    > which I doubt we will ever receive).

It is interesting, I too have found that the return receipt for mail sent to INS HQ
never gets returned. Luckily, USPS now offers electronic delivery confirmation
service free with certified mail, so you check that it got there at least.

I did file a form at the post office for a duplicate return receipt since I didn't
get one back. I haven't gotten anything back on that yet, but I'll keep refiling if
I have to, and write to the Postmaster eventually if they somehow refuse to provide a
return receipt for a delivery which is confirmed electronically.

CP

Old Sep 10th 2002, 1:47 pm
Mrs_blackross

I actually DID get the return receipt back from filing the AR11 form, however, from
the dates stamped on it, it took 7 days via certified mail to get from Germantown
Maryland to Washington DC (I could drive to DC in 25 minutes if I wanted to), then an
additional 14+ days for the return receipt to get from Washington DC back here to
Germantown. I am guessing that the post office doesn't put those little green
postcards at the top of their delivery lists.

"Chris Parker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
gle.com
    > > All the AR-11 forms go to an address in Washington, DC (my wife and I have added
    > > to the pile of unprocessed forms by sending 2 there, one with return recepit
    > > requested which I doubt we will ever receive).
    > It is interesting, I too have found that the return receipt for mail sent to INS HQ
    > never gets returned. Luckily, USPS now offers electronic delivery confirmation
    > service free with certified mail, so you check that it got there at least.
    > I did file a form at the post office for a duplicate return receipt since I didn't
    > get one back. I haven't gotten anything back on that yet, but I'll keep refiling
    > if I have to, and write to the Postmaster eventually if they somehow refuse to
    > provide a return receipt for a delivery which is confirmed electronically.
    > CP

Old Sep 11th 2002, 2:29 am
L D Jones

Mrs_Blackross wrote:
    > I actually DID get the return receipt back from filing the AR11 form, however, from
    > the dates stamped on it, it took 7 days via certified mail to get from Germantown
    > Maryland to Washington DC (I could drive to DC in 25 minutes if I wanted to), then
    > an additional 14+ days for the return receipt to get from Washington DC back here
    > to Germantown. I am guessing that the post office doesn't put those little green
    > postcards at the top of their delivery lists.

Based on that timeline it should take several years for our AR-11 return receipt to
arrive and we live on the east coast

Old Sep 11th 2002, 9:07 am
Chris Parker

> > I actually DID get the return receipt back from filing the AR11 form, however,
    > > from the dates stamped on it, it took 7 days via certified mail to get from
    > > Germantown Maryland to Washington DC (I could drive to DC in 25 minutes if I
    > > wanted to), then an additional 14+ days for the return receipt to get from
    > > Washington DC back here to Germantown. I am guessing that the post office
    > > doesn't put those little green postcards at the top of their delivery lists.

> Based on that timeline it should take several years for our AR-11 return receipt to
    > arrive and we live on the east coast

His timeline is what I would expect from the USPS. INS HQ does take 14-21 days to
receive normal mail (because of the Anthrax radiation process maybe?). Return
receipts are low-priority mail and do take 10-14 days to receive in general. After
14 days, you can file for a duplicate return receipt.

Luckily, since they just file AR-11 in a closet, it won't interrupt or interfere or
have any effect whatsoever on the processing of pending applications for immigration
benefits at a local office. Filing it, however, eliminates deportability of the
alien on such grounds.

CP