Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

arriving back on CPR card

Wikiposts

arriving back on CPR card

Old Mar 18th 2013, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Mint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to all
Default arriving back on CPR card

hi folks , just a quick one.. my cgc is expiring on the date I intend to travel back to the states. Imay have a scanned and e mailed copy of my extension letter but if not will I be allowed in on my not quite but almost expired gc ..lots of thanks as always for your esteemed advice ;-)
Old Mar 18th 2013, 8:21 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: arriving back on CPR card

Originally Posted by Mint Julep
hi folks , just a quick one.. my cgc is expiring on the date I intend to travel back to the states. Imay have a scanned and e mailed copy of my extension letter but if not will I be allowed in on my not quite but almost expired gc ..lots of thanks as always for your esteemed advice ;-)
As long as your green card is valid on the day you are entering the USA (even if it expires the following day), you should be OK.

If your green card is expiring ON the same day you are arriving back in the USA, I don't know. I don't know if the date on the green card is "valid until" or "valid through".

Make sure you have your 1-year extension letter with you, just in case.

Rene
Old Mar 18th 2013, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Mint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to allMint Julep is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Noorah101
As long as your green card is valid on the day you are entering the USA (even if it expires the following day), you should be OK.

If your green card is expiring ON the same day you are arriving back in the USA, I don't know. I don't know if the date on the green card is "valid until" or "valid through".

Make sure you have your 1-year extension letter with you, just in case.

Rene
thank you for replying rene, do you know if they will accept a scanned and emailed copy of the extension letter ;-)
Old Mar 18th 2013, 8:38 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

thank you for replying rene, do you know if they will accept a scanned and emailed copy of the extension letter ;-)
I can't say for sure, but probably.

Rene
Old Mar 18th 2013, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

thanks again, maybe somebody on here might've gotten through with one
Old Mar 18th 2013, 9:38 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

my cgc is expiring on the date I intend to travel back to the states.
Why don't you return the day before... and save yourself all that anxiety?

Imay have a scanned and e mailed copy of my extension letter...
Good... bring it with you.

... but if not will I be allowed in on my not quite but almost expired gc
If your GC is valid the day you return, you'll be fine. If it expires the day before you return... that's not so good... and that's when you'll need the 1 year extension letter.

Ian
Old Mar 18th 2013, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Why don't you return the day before... and save yourself all that anxiety?

Good... bring it with you.

If your GC is valid the day you return, you'll be fine. If it expires the day before you return... that's not so good... and that's when you'll need the 1 year extension letter.

Ian
thank you mr nice.. I'm just hoping the scanned copy will be acceptable to them then I have no problem, it is a little difficult to go the day before , so do you think the expiry date is up until or through the date ? I know im obsessing on this, maybe I just need some sleep ..lol
Old Mar 18th 2013, 10:10 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... so do you think the expiry date is up until or through the date ?
If your card expires on May 5, 2013 and you arrive in the US anytime up to 11:59pm on May 5, 2013, the card is still valid. If you arrive two minutes later - at 12:01am on May 6, 2013 - then the card will be expired.

Ian
Old Mar 18th 2013, 12:51 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I would not want to be the one to test this theory, but, if the extension letter has been issued then the extension is in force. The POE inspector should have access to that info, and you should have no problem, whether you have a copy, original or nothing.

What is the worst that can happen? sent away, to return with the original extension letter a couple of weeks later?
Old Mar 18th 2013, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by RICH
I would not want to be the one to test this theory, but, if the extension letter has been issued then the extension is in force. The POE inspector should have access to that info, and you should have no problem, whether you have a copy, original or nothing.

What is the worst that can happen? sent away, to return with the original extension letter a couple of weeks later?
Actually, anyone who has a claim to be a US PR is supposed to be allowed to enter the USA, even if just to see an Immigration Judge who will make the final determination on whether PR status is abandoned (or exists) or not.

Rene
Old Mar 18th 2013, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Actually, anyone who has a claim to be a US PR is supposed to be allowed to enter the USA, even if just to see an Immigration Judge who will make the final determination on whether PR status is abandoned (or exists) or not.
Yes - the card is evidence of your status but your status does not depend on the card.

The fact that the card has expired does not mean that your status has.

If your status has been extended then you are still a permanent resident regardless of whether the card itself has expired or whether you have a copy of the extension letter. Of course, verifying all of that at the POE could be time consuming.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 3:59 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I would never carry around an original USCIS notice, only a photocopy. My original notices are left in a safe place where they can't be lost, damaged, or stolen. (Although, the safe place itself has been known to be forgotten, to be eventually rediscovered.)

Regards, JEff

... I'm just hoping the scanned copy will be acceptable to them then I have no problem, ...
Old Mar 18th 2013, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

thank you all once again, your replies have cleared up and put my muddled mind to rest, and may I say how honoured I am to receive BE's much admired elite faction's valuable and trusted advice I couldn't have done any of this without you guys and God Bless anyone who takes on this gruelling journey..lol
Old Mar 19th 2013, 4:22 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

In dealing with the Dark Forces at the PORT OF ENTRY, I see no problem. However, do note that system imposes obligations on the carrier to make sure that bring over only people with documents -- we've had clients who were, as a matter of law, free to come and had proper documents, client checks with airline via phone, no problem and then is denied boarding.

BTW, Rene is a tad wrong -- the entry document or visa needs to be unexpired when one BEGINS the uninterrupted travel to the US. Do note that her mistake is one I've seen made by the airport people.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
BTW, Rene is a tad wrong -- the entry document or visa needs to be unexpired when one BEGINS the uninterrupted travel to the US. Do note that her mistake is one I've seen made by the airport people.
Thanks for the correction.

Rene