Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Arrest records for N-400

Wikiposts

Arrest records for N-400

Old Nov 15th 2007, 3:08 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Arrest records for N-400

Does anyone know if the arrest records come from the subject access office of the local police force? If not, any suggestions where else I should be looking?

Nettie
Old Nov 15th 2007, 12:32 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Arrest records for N-400

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Does anyone know if the arrest records come from the subject access office of the local police force? If not, any suggestions where else I should be looking?

Nettie
Hi:

It depends. Usually they want the COURT records. If there was an arrest that resulted in a non-file [called a "DA reject" here in LA], then a Certified letter from the Court stating no record will often suffice. If you have to obtain an "arrest report" from the police, that can be problematical -- it depends upon where you are.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 12:40 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

It depends. Usually they want the COURT records. If there was an arrest that resulted in a non-file [called a "DA reject" here in LA], then a Certified letter from the Court stating no record will often suffice.
How is a court going to get involved with the significant number of arrests that never get pursued with a court case?
Old Nov 15th 2007, 1:51 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Hi:

It depends. Usually they want the COURT records. If there was an arrest that resulted in a non-file [called a "DA reject" here in LA], then a Certified letter from the Court stating no record will often suffice. If you have to obtain an "arrest report" from the police, that can be problematical -- it depends upon where you are.
I was looking at the M-477 document checklist (part of the "Guide to Naturalization" booklet, and it specifically asks for arrest records, as well as a Memorandum of Conviction.

Also, am I misreading something in this checklist? It asks for extra details on a sheet of paper if you answer "Yes" to any of Questions 1-15 in Part 7, and also if you answer "No" to any of Questions 1-5 in Part 8 of the N-400, but that doesn't correspond to the reality of the form N-400 as far as I can see.

Bemused...
Old Nov 15th 2007, 2:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JAJ
How is a court going to get involved with the significant number of arrests that never get pursued with a court case?
Hi:

What?
Old Nov 15th 2007, 2:13 pm
Account Closed

I was looking at the M-477 document checklist (part of the "Guide to Naturalization" booklet, and it specifically asks for arrest records, as well as a Memorandum of Conviction.

Also, am I misreading something in this checklist? It asks for extra details on a sheet of paper if you answer "Yes" to any of Questions 1-15 in Part 7, and also if you answer "No" to any of Questions 1-5 in Part 8 of the N-400, but that doesn't correspond to the reality of the form N-400 as far as I can see.

Bemused...
Hi:

Curious. They happen to be irrelevant -- so I happen to have no idea why they are asked for.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 3:13 pm
Shocked of Redmond

Hi:

Curious. They happen to be irrelevant -- so I happen to have no idea why they are asked for.
Are you saying that the arrest records are irrelevant? I have the MoCs to hand, so I wouldn't need to delay filing if the arrest records are not required.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 3:38 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi:

What?
In other words if someone was arrested but the case was dropped before the police ever taking it to court. So no court records are available to begin with ...

People do get arrested by mistake.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 3:56 pm
Shocked of Redmond

Originally Posted by JAJ
In other words if someone was arrested but the case was dropped before the police ever taking it to court. So no court records are available to begin with ...

People do get arrested by mistake.
In such a case, the N-400 guide states that the applicant should submit arrest records, and records documenting the final disposition of the case.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 4:31 pm
JAJ
Retired

In such a case, the N-400 guide states that the applicant should submit arrest records, and records documenting the final disposition of the case.
Maybe easier said than done if the arrest was some time ago as no record may have been kept (or may have been destroyed). Although in some instances a police check from the country concerned would show a blank under "convictions."
Old Nov 16th 2007, 2:02 am
Shocked of Redmond

Originally Posted by JAJ
Maybe easier said than done if the arrest was some time ago as no record may have been kept (or may have been destroyed). Although in some instances a police check from the country concerned would show a blank under "convictions."
I'll let you know. Kent County Constabulary have a specific form for this sort of request. My arrests were in 1978, so we'll see what comes back.

Of course, if nothing comes back then it's off to my favourite attorney for a consultation as to what to do about the N-400 requirements...
Old Nov 16th 2007, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

Heipa hei! Why the Finnish language?
Old Nov 16th 2007, 5:32 am
Shocked of Redmond

Originally Posted by AlanR
Heipa hei! Why the Finnish language?
Google it: you'll find a piece of prime poop.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

I did! Obviously an interest in prime numbers not Finnish. I knew the Finnish but it didn't make sense until I visited the site - and then it made less sense!
Kiipis.