Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Approved for removal of conditional basis of my Permanent Resident status

Approved for removal of conditional basis of my Permanent Resident status

Old May 16th 2006, 6:43 pm
U.K/U.S.A.

Joanne Knight will become famous soon enoughJoanne Knight will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Approved for removal of conditional basis of my Permanent Resident status

Hi all,

I have just been approved for removal of conditional basis of my Permanent Resident status.

It states that I must obtain a new alien registration receipt card (I - 551). I can get this at my local Service office. Then a new alien registration receipt card will be mailed to me within 6 months.

Not sure if anyone remembers me, but I am confused as to what I have to do next, like file more papers, what is the next stage, please? Is it citizenship? I came over to the USA in September of 2002 on a Fiance Visa and have lived in the USA ever since. My Adjustment of Status was approved and I am confused as what to do next?

Would greatly appreciate any help, as always, it is VERY much appreciated
Old May 16th 2006, 6:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Approved for removal of conditional basis of my Permanent Resident status

Congratulations on the approval.

Next you have to go online to the USCIS website and make an Infopass appointment. Once you have the appointment, you take the appointment printout, the approval notice, your passport, old green card and your photos to the local DISTRICT office on the day of the appointment, complete a new I-89 and the card will be sent to you in the mail. Have your passport stamped with the I-551 so that you have paper proof of your status until the card comes.

Originally Posted by Joanne Knight
Hi all,

I have just been approved for removal of conditional basis of my Permanent Resident status.

It states that I must obtain a new alien registration receipt card (I - 551). I can get this at my local Service office. Then a new alien registration receipt card will be mailed to me within 6 months.

Not sure if anyone remembers me, but I am confused as to what I have to do next, like file more papers, what is the next stage, please? Is it citizenship? I came over to the USA in September of 2002 on a Fiance Visa and have lived in the USA ever since. My Adjustment of Status was approved and I am confused as what to do next?

Old May 16th 2006, 6:54 pm
U.K/U.S.A.

Joanne Knight will become famous soon enoughJoanne Knight will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Approved for removal of conditional basis of my Permanent Resident status

Originally Posted by Rete

Next you have to go online to the USCIS website and make an Infopass appointment. Once you have the appointment, you take the appointment printout, the approval notice, your passport, old green card and your photos to the local DISTRICT office on the day of the appointment, complete a new I-89 and the card will be sent to you in the mail. Have your passport stamped with the I-551 so that you have paper proof of your status until the card comes.
Thanks Rete

What happens after I get the card in the mail though? Do I apply for citizenship or file something else?

Thanks!!
Old May 16th 2006, 6:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!

After you do what Rete says, then yes, your next major step is filing the N-400 for citizenship when you are eligible. Go to www.uscis.gov, and read up on the citizenship and N-400 requirements.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old May 16th 2006, 7:06 pm
U.K/U.S.A.

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Congratulations!

After you do what Rete says, then yes, your next major step is filing the N-400 for citizenship when you are eligible. Go to www.uscis.gov, and read up on the citizenship and N-400 requirements.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Thank you Noorah and Rete
Old May 16th 2006, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

You need to decide if you WANT US citizenship before you file anything else. Its a big decisions, make sure you want it.

Thank you Noorah and Rete
Old May 16th 2006, 7:22 pm
U.K/U.S.A.

Originally Posted by DCMark
You need to decide if you WANT US citizenship before you file anything else. Its a big decisions, make sure you want it.
Thanks for your reply, DCMark

Yes, I am positive about the citizenship because they told me I can obtain dual citizenship: British/American. They said that this is allowed.

Oh yes, one thing I have just checked on is my Resident Card states that it expired 11th May 2006. Should I panic now? Am I in trouble with this? Just I went by the correct dates posted by someone here on this website to file the Adjustment of Status at the correct time of February 14th this year, which I correctly done. I only got the approval letter yesterday, so it is not entirely my fault?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Joanne Knight; May 16th 2006 at 7:25 pm.
Old May 16th 2006, 7:33 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply, DCMark

Yes, I am positive about the citizenship because they told me I can obtain dual citizenship: British/American. They said that this is allowed.

Oh yes, one thing I have just checked on is my Resident Card states that it expired 11th May 2006. Should I panic now? Am I in trouble with this? Just I went by the correct dates posted by someone here on this website to file the Adjustment of Status at the correct time of February 14th this year, which I correctly done. I only got the approval letter yesterday, so it is not entirely my fault?

Thanks in advance

Absolutely nothing to worry about Joanne. For instance our I-751 took over 18 months for approval which meant that for the 6 months without paper proof of status, Jim went to the NYC DO and got the stamp in his passport. Note, even when the conditional green card is expired and the I-797C is expired you are still a conditional permanent residency until the I-751 is adjudicated. If approved you are then a Legal Permanent Resident.

As for naturalization, you are eligible to apply if you are married and still married to the same USC for a full three years and have had some type of residency (conditional or legal/unconditional) for 2 years and 9 months and have fulfilled the other requirements listed on the USCIS' Guide to Naturalization.
Old May 16th 2006, 7:39 pm
U.K/U.S.A.

Absolutely nothing to worry about Joanne. For instance our I-751 took over 18 months for approval which meant that for the 6 months without paper proof of status, Jim went to the NYC DO and got the stamp in his passport. Note, even when the conditional green card is expired and the I-797C is expired you are still a conditional permanent residency until the I-751 is adjudicated. If approved you are then a Legal Permanent Resident.

As for naturalization, you are eligible to apply if you are married and still married to the same USC for a full three years and have had some type of residency (conditional or legal/unconditional) for 2 years and 9 months and have fulfilled the other requirements listed on the USCIS' Guide to Naturalization.
Thank you once again, Rete, for your reply. I understand it now, well, here is what I understand: I am still legal Permanent Resident as I have the approval letter which came yesterday, just need to make the appointment with the local office for a stamp in my passport, and then the card will be mailed to me. So, it looks like there is nothing to worry about after all!!!

Thanks a million, Rete!!
Old May 16th 2006, 7:48 pm
U.K/U.S.A.

Thank you once again, Rete, for your reply. I understand it now, well, here is what I understand: I am still legal Permanent Resident as I have the approval letter which came yesterday, just need to make the appointment with the local office for a stamp in my passport, and then the card will be mailed to me. So, it looks like there is nothing to worry about after all!!!

Thanks a million, Rete!!
Also just read about the citizenship and with particular interest on the area about US Military personnel. My husband is in the US Army He may be deployed this year or next year, no one knows as of yet.
Old May 16th 2006, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

curiousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud ofcuriousmelon has much to be proud of

Congratulations, Joanne Knight! you are almost there
Old May 16th 2006, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

dutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Congratulations....
Old May 16th 2006, 8:21 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Also just read about the citizenship and with particular interest on the area about US Military personnel. My husband is in the US Army He may be deployed this year or next year, no one knows as of yet.
Joanne Knight,
Congratulations!

This thread might be helpful to you; it's got all the essential links about naturalization:
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/in...?showtopic=311
Old May 16th 2006, 8:26 pm
U.K/U.S.A.

Thumbs up Re: Approved for removal of conditional basis of my Permanent Resident status

Originally Posted by meauxna
Joanne Knight,
Congratulations!

This thread might be helpful to you; it's got all the essential links about naturalization:
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/in...?showtopic=311
Thank you, thank you, meauxna, dutchman2001nl, curiousmelon, Rete, DCMark, and Noorah101
Old Jul 18th 2006, 5:17 pm
U.K/U.S.A.

Hi Rete & everyone,

Just re-reading about everything that was said, for which I am extremely grateful.

A quick question: I have yet to go to the local office for my stamp in the passport and have fingerprints done. Does this have to be done asap? Curious, cause of hubby being in the Army, not had much time to go there as I cant drive etc..... The approval was back in May, I hope I am not in any trouble?

Thanks again in advance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.