Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Approved ESTA denied at airport - Applying for B2 now

Approved ESTA denied at airport - Applying for B2 now

Old Nov 3rd 2018, 8:19 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Approved ESTA denied at airport - Applying for B2 now

Originally Posted by Muna_93
UK Citizen, British passport, no other passports held. Both parents have British passports. But I do have 2 visas for Pakistan in my passport, my grandmother lives there and we're very close so I visit her every now and then and I also got married there this past summer cause it was convenient for my extended family to gather there and cost-effective too. These visits were consistent when I applied for and used my previous ESTA, so I'm surprised if this is the reason. But you may have a point. I honestly can't think of any other reason.. And I would've been fine with it to be honest if I was just straight up denied and had to get a visa, I get that countries have security concerns, I'm just surprised they can change status after the fact and not even notify. Oh well, c'est la vie I guess.
Not a white person then. You were denied once an official saw you in person?
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Muna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
No, it was already in their system when my passport was scanned at check-in. The lady at the desk showed me the screen. I wasn't questioned or interviewed. In other words, sometime after it was approved, someone went into my case and changed the status (unless the ESTA system can make changes automatically). I just never got notified.
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 8:28 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Even if you can show proof to counter the reason? I can explain my past travels and show strong intent to return. Gosh, if this is true, that's disappointing. But thanks for at least preparing me for denial mentally.
Without knowing the reason it is really hard to know if you can overcome it at the visa interview or not. I doubt it is "immigration intent" as people with visa applications travel to the US without problems regularly. I hope it is something you can overcome and wish you good luck in doing so.

B/S. Which part of the OP saying it was already in the computer when she got to check in didn't you understand. IE it had been decided before anyone saw her.
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Muna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Without knowing the reason it is really hard to know if you can overcome it at the visa interview or not. I doubt it is "immigration intent" as people with visa applications travel to the US without problems regularly. I hope it is something you can overcome and wish you good luck in doing so.
Thank you, I so appreciate it. I really thought I'd be with my husband today, the last 24 hours have been tough. But I know I'm being silly, these things happen, and it's only a matter of months before the CR-1 goes through. Thanks again.
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 8:39 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

B/S. Which part of the OP saying it was already in the computer when she got to check in didn't you understand. IE it had been decided before anyone saw her.
And going by her avatar (which I'm daring to presume is the OP), she's an attractive young woman, and going by her posts she's literate and well educated, both of which are prone to play to one's advantage in person! I agree with lansbury that somewhere there must be an unfortunate cross reference.
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
And going by her avatar (which I'm daring to presume is the OP), she's an attractive young woman, and going by her posts she's literate and well educated, both of which are prone to play to one's advantage in person! I agree with lansbury that somewhere there must be an unfortunate cross reference.
You are kind to say that. I hope they at least give me a chance to clarify whatever misunderstandings they have on Thursday
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 9:46 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

UK Citizen, British passport, no other passports held. Both parents have British passports. But I do have 2 visas for Pakistan in my passport, my grandmother lives there and we're very close so I visit her every now and then and I also got married there this past summer cause it was convenient for my extended family to gather there and cost-effective too. These visits were consistent when I applied for and used my previous ESTA, so I'm surprised if this is the reason. But you may have a point. I honestly can't think of any other reason.. And I would've been fine with it to be honest if I was just straight up denied and had to get a visa, I get that countries have security concerns, I'm just surprised they can change status after the fact and not even notify. Oh well, c'est la vie I guess.

That's not how she felt, I reckon .
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

That's not how she felt, I reckon .
Not sure what you're trying to imply, but just to be clear I *did not* feel any racial bias, and I can say with almost 100% certainty this decision was not made at the airport itself. Perhaps this is a result of the Trump effect behind closed doors due to my ethnic sounding name and South Asia visits, but we shall find out soon enough. I don't want to make any presumptions just yet.

*Edit: In fact, every member of staff I dealt with was extremely sympathetic to my situation as they could see I was visibly upset, and they admitted that they should really have more information for me. It was out of their hands.
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 9:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Why are you so fixated on a person's skin color. Go to the airport and there are multitudes of white, brown, black, etc. people entering the US under the VWP and on legitimate visas.
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 10:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You have not overstayed any visits to the US recently have you? That would account for the cancellation of the ESTA. Also is there a different number to each of the ESTA's that you have. The first one hadn't yet expired when you applied for a new one. Just wondering if it wasn't the first ESTA that was cancelled due to the fact that you had applied for a second ESTA and the cancellation of the first ESTA is what is showing up.
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
You have not overstayed any visits to the US recently have you? That would account for the cancellation of the ESTA. Also is there a different number to each of the ESTA's that you have. The first one hadn't yet expired when you applied for a new one. Just wondering if it wasn't the first ESTA that was cancelled due to the fact that you had applied for a second ESTA and the cancellation of the first ESTA is what is showing up.
Hi Rete,
No, I've never overstayed any visa in any country. My last visit to the US was for a period of 2 weeks from Dec 2016 - Jan 2017. My previous ESTA was due to expire this month (the month I intended to travel), hence the application for a new one. At the airport, I checked my new, approved application number myself and it was now indeed coming up 'denied'.
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 10:58 pm
BE Irregular

Why are you so fixated on a person's skin color. Go to the airport and there are multitudes of white, brown, black, etc. people entering the US under the VWP and on legitimate visas.
It's not me, it is the boss.
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 10:59 pm
Concierge

Honestly, I have never in 20 years heard of a case such as yours. Yes, I've heard of people being denied entry at the US POE but to have a valid ESTA and then have it pulled is something I've not heard of. I'm sorry this happened to you but rather it happened before you boarded the plane then being denied at the POE after the flight. Your length of travel was within the 90 days normally given to VWP travelers. Wishing you luck at the visa interview next week. And no, it did not happen because of the color of skin. Perhaps because of your heritage and past travels to Pakistan. Do you hold two passports?
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

Honestly, I have never in 20 years heard of a case such as yours. Yes, I've heard of people being denied entry at the US POE but to have a valid ESTA and then have it pulled is something I've not heard of. I'm sorry this happened to you but rather it happened before you boarded the plane then being denied at the POE after the flight. Your length of travel was within the 90 days normally given to VWP travelers. Wishing you luck at the visa interview next week. And no, it did not happen because of the color of skin. Perhaps because of your heritage and past travels to Pakistan. Do you hold two passports?
I do not hold any other passport other than my UK one. I used to have a Pakistani one, but that was renounced and officially cancelled several years ago. I was given it at birth, when I was born in Dubai, but have never lived in the country, only visited my grandparents, and now my sole grandmother who lives there. But again, this was all true when I previously travelled to the US on an ESTA successfully. The only thing that has changed since is my CR-1 application, but who really knows what it could be. Thank you for your well wishes.
Old Nov 4th 2018, 1:00 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Unlikely to get a B2 IMO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.