Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Approved ESTA denied at airport - Applying for B2 now

Wikiposts

Approved ESTA denied at airport - Applying for B2 now

Old Nov 3rd 2018, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

Muna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Approved ESTA denied at airport - Applying for B2 now

Hi guys,

I feel just about okay enough today to type this out, but I want to get this out in the off-chance that it may help someone else. So, as some of you may know, I currently have a CR-1 application in progress (we're about 3 months in after NOA1). I was planning to spend the holiday season with my husband, who is in Phoenix, AZ. So I applied for an ESTA (the one I already had and had successfully travelled on before was due to expire soon), and was told that it was approved. I then printed this out and kept it for my records as advised. I then booked my flights for Nov 2nd to Jan 17th, well under the 90 days limit.

Yesterday, I went to the airport and was told at check-in that my ESTA was 'denied' in the system. I showed them the print out of the exact same application that said 'approved' but it didn't make any difference, my print out wasn't going to trump what their system said. So it seems like my ESTA's status was changed at some point and I was never notified of this. I waited 3 hours at the airport to meet with someone from DHS who gave me no further information as to why I had been denied and just said I'd need a visa now. I have no clue why I've been denied. My record is completely clean, I've travelled to the US in the past on an ESTA and always returned when I said I would, never broken any immigration law of any country, etc.

I know ESTA is not a guarantee to get entry into the US, but I had no clue that you get approved and then the status could change without notification..

I was an emotional mess yesterday, it was tough being turned away from the airport especially since I haven't seen my husband in 4 months.. but I've gotten myself together now and have applied for a B2 visa. My appointment with the embassy is on Thursday and I've gathered all required paperwork.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why I've been denied? Could it be the CR-1 application making them think I have intentions to overstay? Has this happened to anyone else before, ESTA being approved, then denied without notification?

Twas a very unreal experience, but I'm moving on with lessons learnt and around £700 poorer.
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 6:38 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Approved ESTA denied at airport - Applying for B2 now

Where are you coming from and what color are you?
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 6:41 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

How are you intending to overcome the presumption of immigrant intent?
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 6:46 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It could have been the I-130 in the system, no way of knowing for sure.

I would expect the B-2 to also get denied, so don't get your hopes up. And if it does get denied, you will most likely have to have your husband come visit you in the meantime, until the CR-1 is in your passport.

Rene
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 6:47 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Can you check online to see the current status of your ESTA? Just curious.

Rene
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

Muna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
Where are you coming from and what color are you?
UK Citizen, British passport, no other passports held. Both parents have British passports. But I do have 2 visas for Pakistan in my passport, my grandmother lives there and we're very close so I visit her every now and then and I also got married there this past summer cause it was convenient for my extended family to gather there and cost-effective too. These visits were consistent when I applied for and used my previous ESTA, so I'm surprised if this is the reason. But you may have a point. I honestly can't think of any other reason.. And I would've been fine with it to be honest if I was just straight up denied and had to get a visa, I get that countries have security concerns, I'm just surprised they can change status after the fact and not even notify. Oh well, c'est la vie I guess.
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
How are you intending to overcome the presumption of immigrant intent?
Letter from work saying I'm expected back, pay slips to show current employment, lease for my flat that's ongoing until September 2019, and communications with my cat sitter asking her to cover the original period of 2nd Nov to 17th Jan. Can't think of anything else, but please do advise if you have any suggestions?
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Muna_93
UK Citizen, British passport, no other passports held. Both parents have British passports. But I do have 2 visas for Pakistan in my passport, my grandmother lives there and we're very close so I visit her every now and then and I also got married there this past summer cause it was convenient for my extended family to gather there and cost-effective too. These visits were consistent when I applied for and used my previous ESTA, so I'm surprised if this is the reason. But you may have a point. I honestly can't think of any other reason.. And I would've been fine with it to be honest if I was just straight up denied and had to get a visa, I get that countries have security concerns, I'm just surprised they can change status after the fact and not even notify. Oh well, c'est la vie I guess.
ESTA is valid for 2 years, right? A lot can change with USCIS in 2 years, so doesn't surprise me that it could now be denied. I am also surprised, though, that you didn't get notified of the denial.

Rene
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It could have been the I-130 in the system, no way of knowing for sure.

I would expect the B-2 to also get denied, so don't get your hopes up. And if it does get denied, you will most likely have to have your husband come visit you in the meantime, until the CR-1 is in your passport.

Rene
Oh no, Rene, why do you say this? I think if I show them my intent to return (as I've always done so in the past) with a letter from work, payslips, and my lease, it should be okay? But you're right about not getting hopes up. My husband hardly has any days off from work, but might be able to squeeze in a week or so if I do indeed get denied a B2.
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Can you check online to see the current status of your ESTA? Just curious.

Rene
Yes, I checked at the airport when I was waiting for the DHS representative for 3 hours. It now said denied. I tried applying again on the spot as a last ditch attempt, denied again as expected. I don't know when or why they changed my status. I applied for this ESTA in July of this year when it was approved. So something changed in the 3 months since. It is either my past travels to South Asia or the CR-1 which began in August.
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 6:58 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Rene if the ESTA was cancelled the reason that caused that will stop the visa being issued. Having worked with the DHS guys, at Heathrow, when they first came to UK airports, they have found something which caused the ESTA to be cancelled. Could be as simple as a possible match on their no-fly list which needs checking, but in reality I doubt you will ever know the real reason.

Yes it has happened before quite a few times when I was working. One of the reasons the DHS/CBP guys are at the airports is because my office got sick and tired of trying to fathom out the mess that passed for their no-fly lists.
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lansbury
I agree with Rene if the ESTA was cancelled the reason that caused that will stop the visa being issued.
Even if you can show proof to counter the reason? I can explain my past travels and show strong intent to return. Gosh, if this is true, that's disappointing. But thanks for at least preparing me for denial mentally.
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Muna_93
Even if you can show proof to counter the reason?
Yes. Quite often you won't even be given a chance to show such proof.

I can explain my past travels and show strong intent to return.
Quite often, you won't even be given a chance to explain.

Gosh, if this is true, that's disappointing. But thanks for at least preparing me for denial mentally.
Please do come back and let us know the outcome.

Rene
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 7:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Never completed an ESTA..... Does the questionnaire ask if you have any current visa application being processed?
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Never completed an ESTA..... Does the questionnaire ask if you have any current visa application being processed?
No, and even if it did, when I applied for it in July 2018, the answer would have been 'No' since we only submitted the I-130 in August.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.