Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Approval - Interview date 8th December

Wikiposts

Approval - Interview date 8th December

Old Dec 16th 2008, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

Toonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to all
Default Approval - Interview date 8th December

Hi

I had my interview last Monday, 8th December, just wanted to provide an update as everyone has been so helpful with all of my questions over the last few months.

My interview time was at 930 am so I got to the Embassy at around 9 am.

NOTE: no mobiles, iPods, blackberries or car keys with electronic locking devices are allowed into the Embassy in London. There are 2 options, either go check in the item at a pharmacy up the road, for around £5 fee I think, or throw it away (as the policeman suggested to another person in the queue)!

I waited in line and then needed to show my interview confirmation letter and passport. Entered the Embassy and took a number and I waited approx. 1 hour before handing all of my documents to the lady at the first counter. She asked where I had my photo taken - I told her at Costco and she said it was very good (£2.85). I paid the $400 fee (£272) and then waited again for my number to be called. This wait was a lot longer - 3 and a half hours so make sure you take something to read to keep you occupied. There are facilities to buy sandwiches and drinks but no pay phones so you are out of contact with the outside world during the waiting time.

Next I was called up for my consular interview which lasted approx 10 minutes. He asked general questions like how long I had been married, why we were moving to the States, who was the co-sponsor (my MIL) and then said everything seemed to be in order (but he did not give me a definite yes answer which I guess was because I had not yet had my medical). My medical appointment was immediately after the interview so I left in a hurry as I had less than an hour to get there. I did fill out a form before leaving the Embassy and paid £14 to have my passport couriered back to me once the visa was approved.

Next stop was the medical where I had a chest x-ray, HIV test, blood pressure check, general examination, listening to chest, examining abdomen. The doctor took my vaccination records and the summary from my doctor. She did have one question that I needed to have followed up with my GP (when I got back home) and that was for very mild asthma. So I made an appointment 2 days later to see the GP and have my asthma tested and have the prescription rechecked as the doctor in London thought my prescription was too high. 3 days later and at a cost of £20, my GP faxed a follow up letter to the doctor in London. I called today and the doctor's office told me everything was in order and my file had been packaged up and was waiting for a courier to pick it up and take to the embassy this afternoon.

If you do have any medical conditions, it might be worth while getting a letter from your GP beforehand?? But I am not an expert on that topic. Just from my personal experience with the asthma.

So looks like I will be approved in the next few days and my passport will be making its' way back to me!! We plan to move from end of March to end of May so we should be in good shape now. Nice Christmas present.

Thanks again for everyone's help. If anyone is going for an interview soon, and has any questions, let me know.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 4:29 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Approval - Interview date 8th December

Congratulations!
Old Dec 16th 2008, 4:32 am
EJ3
Forum Regular

EJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations and good luck for your move next year! Have a wonderful Christmas
Old Dec 16th 2008, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

newenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of lightnewenglander is a glorious beacon of light

Congratulations. My fiance had his the day after you did and had to courier extra information to them so we're still waiting. I hope you can relax now and enjoy the holidays.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

mrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant future

Congrats L.

A & C

Last edited by mrs Bucket; Dec 16th 2008 at 5:16 am. Reason: wrong info got added
Old Dec 16th 2008, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

gstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond repute

Great. Congratulations!
Old Dec 16th 2008, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

Toonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to allToonyank is a name known to all

Thanks all, it is a great Christmas present knowing that all of the paperwork is behind us, just the future to look forward to.

Have a lovely Christmas
Old Dec 16th 2008, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

jbrierley82 is just really nicejbrierley82 is just really nicejbrierley82 is just really nicejbrierley82 is just really nicejbrierley82 is just really nicejbrierley82 is just really nicejbrierley82 is just really nicejbrierley82 is just really nice

Congratulations!

I was there on the 8th December. I am sure it was worth the wait but oh my goodness what a long wait we had that day!

James
Old Dec 18th 2008, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jbrierley82
Congratulations!

I was there on the 8th December. I am sure it was worth the wait but oh my goodness what a long wait we had that day!

James
Yes, it was a very long day! As I said in your thread just a few minutes ago - I got the approval today! Package was delivered today by courier.

Once the doctor's had all the paperwork, the embassy only took a day to approve my paperwork and next day it was delivered to us. I am very impressed.

We have up to 16th June to make the move which should not be a problem as our house is sold, husband has just taken voluntary redundancy and had his last day at work Friday past and the kids are chomping at the bit and ready to go!!
Old Dec 18th 2008, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

mrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant futuremrs Bucket has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Toonyank
Yes, it was a very long day! As I said in your thread just a few minutes ago - I got the approval today! Package was delivered today by courier.

Once the doctor's had all the paperwork, the embassy only took a day to approve my paperwork and next day it was delivered to us. I am very impressed.

We have up to 16th June to make the move which should not be a problem as our house is sold, husband has just taken voluntary redundancy and had his last day at work Friday past and the kids are chomping at the bit and ready to go!!
Fantastic news. All set and ready to go.

Excellent news about hubby's voluntary redundancy. AZ here you come.

Love

Amanda
Old Dec 18th 2008, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mrs Bucket
Fantastic news. All set and ready to go.

Excellent news about hubby's voluntary redundancy. AZ here you come.

Love

Amanda
Hi Amanda

Yep, it is great news. I am sure we will both be over in AZ before the summer starts so will be lovely to meet up.

Give me a ring this weekend if you want any help with the I-864

love Lesley
Old Dec 18th 2008, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Toonyank
Hi Amanda

Yep, it is great news. I am sure we will both be over in AZ before the summer starts so will be lovely to meet up.

Give me a ring this weekend if you want any help with the I-864

love Lesley
Hi Lesley

I will definitely give you ca call.

Love

Amanda