Reload this Page >

Applying for US Citizenship

Applying for US Citizenship

Old Nov 15th 2007, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

stephon113 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for US Citizenship

Hello all,
My spouse came to US via K1 Visa on Dec. 1, 2003 and got her conditional greencard on Dec. 1, 2004. On December 1, 2006 she got her 10 yrs greencard. When can she start to apply for US Citizenship? Please advise. Thank you.

Stephon
Old Nov 15th 2007, 2:52 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for US Citizenship

If she has been a Permanent Resident since 12/1/04, she may be able to start as early as now.
Please consult the Guide To Naturalization for details of the other considerations besides time as a PR.

(read the linked page plus the links on the right of that page)
Old Nov 15th 2007, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks to Meauxna for answering my question.
Just for clarification because I don't want to loose the application fee as I am afraid my spouse is not met the qualifications.

1) I am a US Citizen for 15 yrs
2) My spouse got her conditional greencard in Dec. 1, 2004
3) My spouse got her 10 yrs greencard in Dec. 1, 2006.

She has lived with me the entire time. I just need to confirm that she has met the qualifications? Thank you so much.

Stephon
Old Nov 15th 2007, 3:36 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stephon113
Just for clarification because I don't want to loose the application fee as I am afraid my spouse is not met the qualifications.

She has lived with me the entire time. I just need to confirm that she has met the qualifications? Thank you so much.

Stephon
Hi Stephon,

It sounds like she meets the qualifications for being able to apply now based on 3 years as a PR.

Read the guidelines for OTHER requirements that she needs to meet.

Rene
Old Nov 15th 2007, 3:47 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Stephon

Stephon, since you are a US citizen, your wife needs to be a Permanent Resident for 3 years instead of 5, to apply for her citizenship. She is just meeting that ONE qualification now.

She needs to review the Guide and make sure she qualifies in all the other areas as well (time out of the US etc) before she applies.

She has been a Permanent Resident since 12/1/2004 (the front of her Green Card should confirm this for you).
Old Nov 15th 2007, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you very much guys....I am going to get started on the application.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

bal537 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can someone confirm that you can apply for US Citizenship 3 months prior to the 3rd anniversary of getting your conditional greencard?
Old Nov 15th 2007, 10:46 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bal537
Can someone confirm that you can apply for US Citizenship 3 months prior to the 3rd anniversary of getting your conditional greencard?
90 days prior
Old Nov 15th 2007, 10:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are applying based on marriage to a USC, and meet all the other qualifications, then beginning 90 days prior to the 3rd anniversary of gaining your PR status (including time as a conditional PR). Otherwise, 90 days prior to your 5th year as a PR.

Rene
Old Nov 16th 2007, 12:34 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

Depends upon the facts.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 1:00 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to get started on the application.
Just to clarify... your wife, not you, should be the one to complete the application form.

Ian