Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Applying for Social Security Card

Applying for Social Security Card

Old Dec 23rd 2018, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

Jenforsonlee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for Social Security Card

My son has just entered usa on a K1 fiance visa. Should he apply for the Social Security Number asap from his local office. He will be married within the 90 day limit and a Spousal Work Visa will be applied for then.
Old Dec 23rd 2018, 8:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for Social Security Card

There is no such animal as a Spousal Work Visa. Visas are only available through the US Consulates/Embassies overseas. As a K-1 recipient he needs to go to his local social security office, complete the form, present the form and his passport with the K-1 visa in it to the agent, and if his name is on the SAVE system, he will be sent a social security card.

Your son will apply for a conditional permanent residency once he marries the US Citizen who petitioned for him. He will not have to leave the US to get a visa. When he applies for the PR status via form I-485, he will also file other forms, i.e. I-765 for an employment authorization document (EAD) (he cannot work until this is obtained which at the current moment is up to 5 months from date of filing), and I-131 for advance parole so that he can leave and return to the US while the I-485 is pending without losing his pending status.

Unless your son does not have access to a computer, it is preferable for him to post himself rather than for him to rely on mommy who is posting for him, maybe from a foreign country. Please have him join us as there are many ins and outs to the process and he should become familiar with it now, before they are even married, as documentation is needed, as are other things.

He will benefit from reading our wiki .,... link below

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Adjus...-3_Spouse_Visa

Last edited by Rete; Dec 23rd 2018 at 9:03 pm.
Old Dec 23rd 2018, 9:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I have asked that this be transferred to the proper forum as he is a K-1 recipient ... US marriage-based visa forum.
Old Dec 24th 2018, 9:13 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Spousal Work Visa
I assume you mean an EAD? I would suggest that your son register for BE himself - you don't appear to have any idea what you are talking about.
Old Dec 24th 2018, 10:00 am
Just Joined

Jenforsonlee is an unknown quantity at this point

I joined this forum for help and advice as I am disabled and just wanted to try and get some info 're ssn. Yes I got the words wrong but his lawyer is dealing with that. I just put it to show that bit is in hand. I did not expect derision and sarcasm. Wow.
Old Dec 24th 2018, 11:03 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

So... why isn'y his lawyer advising him on the subject?
Old Dec 24th 2018, 1:15 pm
Concierge

Jen

This should have been discussed by his attorney. SSN is part of the 'need to be done' almost immediately upon entry to the US on a K-1. If left towards the end of the 90 days, he will no longer be able to get it.

Having a SSN will impact his life in the US. He needs it for banking, credit building, driver's license, etc. He should have been told that depending on the state he is residing in, he will be unable to get a driver's license until he has the EAD in hand along with his social security number. He cannot work nor volunteer for any job that someone else is being paid for as it is considered work. He is stuck at home virtually twiddling his thumbs for many months both before and after marriage until he files the I-485 and I-765 and gets his EAD. K-1 is the hardest visa to work with for people since it is so limiting.

We have found that when a parent signs up for information for a child, then the child is just that, a child, and not an adult. Also when people ask for advice for someone else, the advice gets muddied on the second telling. An adult would have scoped out all this information long before entering the US on a K-1 and would have researched the two different visas available to someone marrying a US citizen, i.e. Fiancee Visa or the Immediate Relative Visa. Both are the same length of time to obtain but with the IR-1/CR-1 the person enters the US and gets their green card stamp in their passport and is a Permanent Resident from day one with all the rights and privileges accorded that status. Again, your son, Lee, is welcome to join us for full disclosure of the process and its many ins and outs. Or he needs to rely on their immigration attorney. But word of caution. May here who have used one in the past have found they have made multiple errors on completing the forms and are of no help if something goes awry.