Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Applying for an interim EAD?

Wikiposts

Applying for an interim EAD?

Old Dec 16th 2003, 11:12 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for an interim EAD?

Mark,

Misplaced or overlooked might be better words than lost, although I do note that you surrounded the word with apostrophies. Anyway, it was found when we showed up with a copy of it and they went looking.

What's odd about the timeline?

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by speedyvespa
JEff,

That's a very odd timeline! So would you say that her EAD application was 'lost'?

- Mark
Old Dec 16th 2003, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

speedyvespa is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
Mark,

Misplaced or overlooked might be better words than lost, although I do note that you surrounded the word with apostrophies. Anyway, it was found when we showed up with a copy of it and they went looking.

What's odd about the timeline?

Regards, JEff
It took ages.
Old Dec 16th 2003, 11:52 am
Grahame And Laura

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 00:43:44 +0000, speedyvespa
<member6884@british_expats.com> wrote:

>Hi,
    >Has anyone on here applyed for an interim EAD as a result of not
    >receiving a decision on the I-765 application after 90 days?

I got one at Buffalo, NY. I brought everything, but I only had to show
them my receipt/NOA from the VSC.

Grahame and Laura

K-1 app. mailed 1/24/2002.
First NOA received 2/4/2002 (dated 1/28).
Approval via automated phone line 2/13.
Sydney consulate cabled 2/14.

Old Dec 16th 2003, 2:12 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Mark,

What took ages?

The AOS? It took 11 months - not bad at all. Less than we were expecting. Not as quick as some place, a lot quicker than others.

The EAD? Yes. But we didn't bother to follow up on it until she decided that she was ready to find a job and needed it.

Regards, JEff

It took ages.
Old Dec 16th 2003, 3:55 pm

maximus76 is on a distinguished road

at the same time we have to remember that rules changed since that.
By the way, what does it mean "one-step marriage"?
Old Dec 16th 2003, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by maximus76
at the same time we have to remember that rules changed since that.
By the way, what does it mean "one-step marriage"?
Good point, Maximus.

Does the "one-step marriage" mean the same thing as the "one-step family", relating to interim applications? I'm very curious about that myself, but no-one seems to know. I've written to the Bloomington field office today to ask them to clarify their policy for issuing interim EADs, I'll let you know what I find out the moment I hear back.

By the way, did you say you're applying from Wisconsin? My wife is from there - I'm just curious whereabouts you are.

Keep on keepin' on!

- Mark
Old Dec 16th 2003, 4:42 pm

Good point, Maximus.

Does the "one-step marriage" mean the same thing as the "one-step family", relating to interim applications? I'm very curious about that myself, but no-one seems to know. I've written to the Bloomington field office today to ask them to clarify their policy for issuing interim EADs, I'll let you know what I find out the moment I hear back.

By the way, did you say you're applying from Wisconsin? My wife is from there - I'm just curious whereabouts you are.

Keep on keepin' on!

- Mark
Yeah, I am curious too about that "one step marriage/family"...
Let us know, when you receive responce from USCIS.
We live in Milwaukee, WI, I was in Lake Geneva first, then got married and moved to Milwaukee, WI, so we filed AOS here, cause we both are residents of WI.
Where is your wife from in WI?
Old Dec 17th 2003, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

Yeah, I am curious too about that "one step marriage/family"...
Let us know, when you receive responce from USCIS.
We live in Milwaukee, WI, I was in Lake Geneva first, then got married and moved to Milwaukee, WI, so we filed AOS here, cause we both are residents of WI.
Where is your wife from in WI?
She's from the other side, near somewhere called Stillwater. Luckily she moved across the St. Croix river, otherwise we'd have been taking a 4 hour journey to Milwaukee to go to the USCIS centre...!

- Mark
Old Dec 17th 2003, 6:23 am

She's from the other side, near somewhere called Stillwater. Luckily she moved across the St. Croix river, otherwise we'd have been taking a 4 hour journey to Milwaukee to go to the USCIS centre...!

- Mark
About that "one-step marriage/family based case" i think it is when you file all cases at once, right?
If it's so, I guess I also filed one-step marriage based case, cause I sent all papers at once, though without Advance Parole.
I didn't know that it's better to send one by one, is it?
Old Dec 17th 2003, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

About that "one-step marriage/family based case" i think it is when you file all cases at once, right?
If it's so, I guess I also filed one-step marriage based case, cause I sent all papers at once, though without Advance Parole.
I didn't know that it's better to send one by one, is it?
I don't think it makes any difference either way, to be honest. As far as I remember, they go to different lockboxes in Chicago/Missouri.

By the way, are you K3? I've been lead to believe AP isn't necessary for a K3 - am I wrong?

- Mark
Old Dec 17th 2003, 9:05 am

I don't think it makes any difference either way, to be honest. As far as I remember, they go to different lockboxes in Chicago/Missouri.

By the way, are you K3? I've been lead to believe AP isn't necessary for a K3 - am I wrong?

- Mark
That's what I thought too, that it doesn't make any difference. But then after your post about interrim EAD, I noticed that, and I wonder if it really makes any difference-to send all AOS at once, or one after another.
I am not K3, I was here on J1 visa, then I applied for F1, and my F1 student case was pending when I got married, so I guess I'll need AP to travel.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 10:10 am
Together at last!

Simon&Vik will become famous soon enoughSimon&Vik will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Marjeta
It says on the I-765 application on page 8:

"Interim EAD.
If you have not received a decision within 90 days of receipt by the INS of a properly filed EAD application..., you may obtain interim work authorization by appearing in person at your local INS district office"
IIRC, it also says that if it's your first EAD, you only have to wait 30 days before you can appear in person to get your interim work auth...
Old Dec 17th 2003, 10:53 am

Originally posted by Simon&Vik
IIRC, it also says that if it's your first EAD, you only have to wait 30 days before you can appear in person to get your interim work auth...
Simon&Vik,

where did you get this information? Is there a link, it would be very helpful for us here, waiting for our first EAD.
thank you.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Simon&Vik
On the I-765 form I'm looking at now, it says....

Interim EAD: an EAD issued to an eligible applicant when the INS has failed to adjudicate an application within 90 days of receipt of a properly filed EAD application or within 30 days of a properly filed initial EAD application based on an asylum application filed on or after January 4, 1995. The interim EAD will be granted for a period not to exceed 240 days and is subject to the conditions noted on the document.

...which will prove to be good news for those on the forum who are asylees, but alas, the remainder of us will have to wait a little longer.

A refugee wouldn't be likely to have sponsors I guess, so it seems fair that they have priority. Though I wish we were all dealt with a little (lot?) more quickly.

- Mark
Old Dec 17th 2003, 11:54 am

On the I-765 form I'm looking at now, it says....

Interim EAD: an EAD issued to an eligible applicant when the INS has failed to adjudicate an application within 90 days of receipt of a properly filed EAD application or within 30 days of a properly filed initial EAD application based on an asylum application filed on or after January 4, 1995. The interim EAD will be granted for a period not to exceed 240 days and is subject to the conditions noted on the document.

...which will prove to be good news for those on the forum who are asylees, but alas, the remainder of us will have to wait a little longer.

A refugee wouldn't be likely to have sponsors I guess, so it seems fair that they have priority. Though I wish we were all dealt with a little (lot?) more quickly.

- Mark
ahh, I guess I started to get excited too early...
thanks, Mark. for the info, I hope we also get approval from USCIS as a gift for Christmas, hopefully!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.