Applying for an interim EAD?

Wikiposts

Applying for an interim EAD?

Old Dec 15th 2003, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

speedyvespa is on a distinguished road
Default Applying for an interim EAD?

Hi,

Has anyone on here applyed for an interim EAD as a result of not receiving a decision on the I-765 application after 90 days?

I'm hoping someone can fill me in on the procedures, what do you need to take, and so on... in particular, if anyone has any information regarding Bloomington, MN I would be most grateful.

Thanks,

Mark
Old Dec 15th 2003, 10:59 pm
Jg

Default Re: Applying for an interim EAD?

Hi Mark,
I didn't receive mine in the 90 day period so on day 91 I went to the
Charlotte office and showed them my receipt and passport and a few hours
later I had my picture taken for the interim EAD and handed the card.
It was very smooth and painless, at least here in NC.

JG

"speedyvespa" <member6884@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    > Has anyone on here applyed for an interim EAD as a result of not
    > receiving a decision on the I-765 application after 90 days?
    > I'm hoping someone can fill me in on the procedures, what do you need
    > to take, and so on... in particular, if anyone has any information
    > regarding Bloomington, MN I would be most grateful.
    > Thanks,
    > Mark
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Dec 16th 2003, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Jg
Hi Mark,
I didn't receive mine in the 90 day period so on day 91 I went to the
Charlotte office and showed them my receipt and passport and a few hours
later I had my picture taken for the interim EAD and handed the card.
It was very smooth and painless, at least here in NC.

JG
Ah! There you have an advantage over me Jg... I have never received my receipt....
Old Dec 16th 2003, 3:30 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Speedy,

My ex-wife never received a receipt for her I-765 either. About 8 months after submitting it she decided she was ready to look for a job, so we went to visit the local Sub office with our copy of her application.

A half-hour later we walked out with the EAD.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by speedyvespa
Ah! There you have an advantage over me Jg... I have never received my receipt....
Old Dec 16th 2003, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
Speedy,

My ex-wife never received a receipt for her I-765 either. About 8 months after submitting it she decided she was ready to look for a job, so we went to visit the local Sub office with our copy of her application.

Regards, JEff
Thanks Jeff, makes me feel a little more assured. However, I'm going to write to my field office just to clarify their procedure - so much has changed regarding K visa EAD apps, and there isn't a uniform policy regarding the issuance of the interim EADs.

As a side note, what's the score now on the NYC office issuing them? I read that they were simply (more or less) refusing to issue them due to their lack of human resources, which seems mighty rough to me.

- Mark
Old Dec 16th 2003, 4:40 am
Jg

How about a copy of the check that they cashed for the EAD? You can start
counting from that date.

"speedyvespa" <member6884@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by Jg
    > > Hi Mark,
    > > I didn't receive mine in the 90 day period so on day 91 I went to the
    > > Charlotte office and showed them my receipt and passport and a
    > > few hours
    > > later I had my picture taken for the interim EAD and handed the card.
    > > It was very smooth and painless, at least here in NC.
    > >
    > > JG
    > >
    > Ah! There you have an advantage over me Jg... I have never received my
    > receipt....
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Dec 16th 2003, 4:55 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Mark,

What is the "so much" that has changed regarding K-status EAD applicants? The only thing that I'm aware of is that applications from K3 people are now going to the NBC for initial processing.

Also, I'm interested in this term "interim EAD" that I see many people using. There was nothing 'interim' about the EAD that my ex-wife got. It was the same 1-year ID card that she would have been given had her application been processed in a timely fashion.

Regards, JEff

Thanks Jeff, makes me feel a little more assured. However, I'm going to write to my field office just to clarify their procedure - so much has changed regarding K visa EAD apps, and there isn't a uniform policy regarding the issuance of the interim EADs.

As a side note, what's the score now on the NYC office issuing them? I read that they were simply (more or less) refusing to issue them due to their lack of human resources, which seems mighty rough to me.

- Mark
Old Dec 16th 2003, 5:16 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

- Mark
Really? Just this month a NYC user walked into NYC's 26 Federal Plaza and got his one year EAD without a hassle even though they were schedule for biometrics for an EAD a week later.

Rete
Old Dec 16th 2003, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Rete
Really? Just this month a NYC user walked into NYC's 26 Federal Plaza and got his one year EAD without a hassle even though they were schedule for biometrics for an EAD a week later.

Rete
http://www.immigration.com/newslette...dhandling.html

Hopefully, it sounds as if this situation is now resolved. That sounded beyond my belief...
Old Dec 16th 2003, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

Mark,

What is the "so much" that has changed regarding K-status EAD applicants? The only thing that I'm aware of is that applications from K3 people are now going to the NBC for initial processing.
"so much" in that my local office had ceased to issue them same day about 2 weeks before my wife and I queued up outside in the freezing weather for 3 hours. That was a big change, to us anyhow...
Old Dec 16th 2003, 5:58 am
I love my sailor.

Marjeta is an unknown quantity at this point

Also, I'm interested in this term "interim EAD" that I see many people using. There was nothing 'interim' about the EAD that my ex-wife got. It was the same 1-year ID card that she would have been given had her application been processed in a timely fashion.
It says on the I-765 application on page 8:

"Interim EAD.
If you have not received a decision within 90 days of receipt by the INS of a properly filed EAD application..., you may obtain interim work authorization by appearing in person at your local INS district office"

I believe (from reding other users' posts) that this EAD is normally only valid for 6 or 7 months, and not for a full year. It seems that the processing times for EADs are getting longer, maybe that is why they introduced this option.
Old Dec 16th 2003, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Speedy,

Regards, JEff
Hi JEff,

So your wife filed for AOS and EAD, attended a biometrics exam for her AOS, and then didn't hear anything regarding her EAD again?

Sounds like the position I myself may be in...

- Mark
Old Dec 16th 2003, 9:35 am

Marjeta,

Thanks for calling me on that, and for providing the reference.

In my ex-wife's case, however, there was nothing "interim" about the EAD card she was given. It was a 'standard' card, valid for a full year. They had apparently laid her EAD file aside and forgotten about it until we went in to make the inquiry. They found the file, processed the application on the spot, and issued the card.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by Marjeta
It says on the I-765 application on page 8:

"Interim EAD.
If you have not received a decision within 90 days of receipt by the INS of a properly filed EAD application..., you may obtain interim work authorization by appearing in person at your local INS district office"

I believe (from reding other users' posts) that this EAD is normally only valid for 6 or 7 months, and not for a full year. It seems that the processing times for EADs are getting longer, maybe that is why they introduced this option.

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Dec 16th 2003 at 9:45 am.
Old Dec 16th 2003, 9:41 am

Mark,

No. She wasn't fingerprinted for her AOS until months after we went in to inquire about the EAD. She filed for AOS and EAD in November, went in to inquire about the EAD the following May, had her fingerprint appointment in September, and her AOS interview in October.

Regards, JEff

Hi JEff,

So your wife filed for AOS and EAD, attended a biometrics exam for her AOS, and then didn't hear anything regarding her EAD again?

Sounds like the position I myself may be in...

- Mark
Old Dec 16th 2003, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Mark,

No. She wasn't fingerprinted for her AOS until months after we went in to inquire about the EAD. She filed for AOS and EAD in November, went in to inquire about the EAD the following May, had her fingerprint appointment in September, and her AOS interview in October.

Regards, JEff
JEff,

That's a very odd timeline! So would you say that her EAD application was 'lost'?

- Mark

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.