Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Applying for green card (marriage visa sponsorship) during these Covid times

Applying for green card (marriage visa sponsorship) during these Covid times

Old Sep 26th 2020, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

stuwoolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Applying for green card (marriage visa sponsorship) during these Covid times

Dont forget VWP or not, if you are not a USC or immediate family of a USC (ie spouse or child) you will be lucky to get past the Immigration/Passport Check Officer. As far as I know, right now, as I am sure you already know, the Presidential Proclamation states only USC and immediate family can enter USA.

Not sure about whether Fiance Visas are even getting processed right now. The US Embassy in London dont appear to be? Maybe mainland USA is processing?

I really do feel your pain😔

Last edited by stuwoolf; Sep 26th 2020 at 12:34 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2020, 12:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for green card (marriage visa sponsorship) during these Covid times

Originally Posted by blessed345
I dont know how the process works...but couldnt you have stayed there while the paperwork was being processed over there ?
Originally Posted by civilservant
1st post and you're proposing something that is total illegal, visa fraud, and can get you a permanent ban from the US.

Good job!
Blessed345 asked a question and acknowledged that they are unfamiliar with how it works. Don't believe they were advocating doing something illegal. Asking questions (there was a ? at the end of their sentence) is how one learns.
Old Oct 16th 2020, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

Bruiser is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JonB 47
I am in UK and wife is in US. we filled in paperwork when I was there after we married then the day after I returned to UK she took copies of the whole package then once got the marriage certificate back with certified copies she sent the original off to the drop box then mailed me a full copy of everything. That was actually last time I saw her in person as we couldn't plan a visit as we had no idea what was going on with no updates on case, it's just been lots of skype and texts
Are you saying that you can't visit (Proclamation aside) whilst the process is on-going? Is this correct? I read that once I130 is submitted and you selected "consular processing" it is clear to CBP that you are applying for immigrant status outside of the country so reassures them that any VWP visits will remain non-immigrant (i.e. you will leave and not try to apply in country, which is against the VWP rules).

Re the Proclamation, as a spouse of a USC you can travel despite of the ban.
Old Oct 16th 2020, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

JonB 47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bruiser
Are you saying that you can't visit (Proclamation aside) whilst the process is on-going? Is this correct? I read that once I130 is submitted and you selected "consular processing" it is clear to CBP that you are applying for immigrant status outside of the country so reassures them that any VWP visits will remain non-immigrant (i.e. you will leave and not try to apply in country, which is against the VWP rules).

Re the Proclamation, as a spouse of a USC you can travel despite of the ban.
This was well before covid, only reason didn't visit was due to the fact when the i130 was filed it was showing as only 6-8 month processing time, which we decided was ok to wait but that time grew and I think at 1 point it was showing as 12-15 month and this was still before covid. As we didn't know where the case was up to and you don't get any updates as to what's happening it was hard to plan a visit in case had to do medical etc. When I finally got my interview date 23rd March for 24th April this year it was also the day the UK went into lockdown so all that was cancelled. Now it is all good though as had the medical and interview end of Sept but even though it was refused on the day as they needed more info, it went into admin processing a week later and visa was issued 15th Oct and I picked it up the 16th from the courier. Flight is booked for 20th Nov, I will miss our 2nd wedding anniversary which is 20th Oct (visa was issued 5 days before it so only is a CR1, hopefully at POE they put it down as an IR1)
Old Oct 16th 2020, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

stuwoolf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JonB 47
This was well before covid, only reason didn't visit was due to the fact when the i130 was filed it was showing as only 6-8 month processing time, which we decided was ok to wait but that time grew and I think at 1 point it was showing as 12-15 month and this was still before covid. As we didn't know where the case was up to and you don't get any updates as to what's happening it was hard to plan a visit in case had to do medical etc. When I finally got my interview date 23rd March for 24th April this year it was also the day the UK went into lockdown so all that was cancelled. Now it is all good though as had the medical and interview end of Sept but even though it was refused on the day as they needed more info, it went into admin processing a week later and visa was issued 15th Oct and I picked it up the 16th from the courier. Flight is booked for 20th Nov, I will miss our 2nd wedding anniversary which is 20th Oct (visa was issued 5 days before it so only is a CR1, hopefully at POE they put it down as an IR1)
Congratulations.🙂

Good luck👍