Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Applying for green card (marriage visa sponsorship) during these Covid times

Applying for green card (marriage visa sponsorship) during these Covid times

Old Aug 24th 2020, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

BedfordshireToTennessee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Applying for green card (marriage visa sponsorship) during these Covid times

Originally Posted by civilservant
While I agree we knew what you meant, you will find that we here on BE are sticklers for using the correct terms to avoid confusion for anyone else reading the thread who may not know 'what you mean'

That's not why I asked. The reason I asked is simply because if you have been married for 2 years or more at time of entry to the US with your visa, you will receive an IR1 stamp rather than a CR1 stamp.

The main advantage of that is that you will be issued a 10 year Green Card immediately, and skip the need to remove conditions after 2 years, which will save you some money and a headache. Any dealings with USCIS are invariably painful, after all.
Originally Posted by Pulaski
Up until the end of March 2020 there was a process called "Direct Consular Filing" (DCF), whereby the sponsoring USC spouse could file the intial paperwork directly with the US Consulate in London, and doing that led to the over all time to visa issuance being several months quicker than filing via the Chicago lockbox.

As the DCF route is now confined to history it has no relevance to your application, but is perhaps something you should be aware of if you read other threads that refer to "DCF".

Okay, thank you for clarifying anyway. Shame the quicker option is no longer available. However, I'm glad I hadn't missed something so it is still business as usual
Old Sep 25th 2020, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

JonB 47 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Applying for green card (marriage visa sponsorship) during these Covid times

Originally Posted by BedfordshireToTennessee
That is a fantastic piece of information, of which we had no idea about. We are hoping to be able to move within the year. Therefore, if by waiting a couple of extra months it will help with a future headache, then we will certainly remember this.
moving within the year would be a long shot to say the least, as just the sending the i130 form to USCIS and for them to send it to the NVC will probably take around 12 months then the NVC stage depends on how long it takes you to upload all the correct documents they want etc.. All these timelines were pre covid so who knows what backlog there is etc.

My process started end of Oct 2018 and it took over 12 months for USCIS to send to NVC, then a month or so for the NVC stage to complete. then 23rd Mar 2020 we got interview date for embassy but that was also the day UK went into lockdown. I finally had medical on 21st Sept and have the embassy interview 28th Sept. So my timeline has taken almost 2 years but at least when I do arrive in the US I will have been married 2 years so that will skip some extra paperwork and fees as I won't have to remove conditions
Old Sep 25th 2020, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JonB 47
moving within the year would be a long shot to say the least, as just the sending the i130 form to USCIS and for them to send it to the NVC will probably take around 12 months then the NVC stage depends on how long it takes you to upload all the correct documents they want etc.. All these timelines were pre covid so who knows what backlog there is etc.

My process started end of Oct 2018 and it took over 12 months for USCIS to send to NVC, then a month or so for the NVC stage to complete. then 23rd Mar 2020 we got interview date for embassy but that was also the day UK went into lockdown. I finally had medical on 21st Sept and have the embassy interview 28th Sept. So my timeline has taken almost 2 years but at least when I do arrive in the US I will have been married 2 years so that will skip some extra paperwork and fees as I won't have to remove conditions
Thanks for the reply, JonB. A few questions though if you don’t mind.
Firstly, was there any reason for it taking almost 18 months to get your initial appointment (before it was cancelled due to Covid)?
Secondly, were there any updates between the day you applied and when they had sent it off to NVC?
My only glimmer of hope is that currently I can’t imagine there are *that* many people applying for US visa’s due to Covid. However, I’m probably being too hopeful there!

Good luck with the interview!
Old Sep 25th 2020, 4:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... My only glimmer of hope is that currently I can’t imagine there are *that* many people applying for US visa’s due to Covid. However, I’m probably being too hopeful there! ...
You're assuming that there are the same number of workers porcessing visas as before covid-19 struck. I think a lot of the staff were furloughed for a while, and even if they've been recalled, the nature of the US government is that some of the staff could easily have been transferred to other tasks.

It was widely reported even before covid-19 struck that the finances of the USCIS were precarious, so cutbacks to staffing were likely inevitable anyway, and have probably been greater as the visa applications have dropped sharply, and some visa types suspended entirely.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 25th 2020 at 4:53 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2020, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

1: when we sent the i130 off to the Phoenix drop box it was showing as around 6-8 months processing time then it just got longer and longer I think towards the end it said 12-15 month processing time

2: All we got update wise was that they received the i130 then nothing until the end of the uscis processing when they sent email saying it was being sent to NVC, then once they had it they email and ask you to login on webpage and start doing the process there, pay more fees, the ds260 form and affidavit of support form as well as uploading the supporting docs, etc. Then when all submitted and complete, fee paid etc then they will check it and if everything is correct they will email again and say that all is good and they are sending it to embassy. then wait for appointment.
Old Sep 25th 2020, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

1: when we sent the i130 off to the Phoenix drop box it was showing as around 6-8 months processing time then it just got longer and longer I think towards the end it said 12-15 month processing time

2: All we got update wise was that they received the i130 then nothing until the end of the uscis processing when they sent email saying it was being sent to NVC, then once they had it they email and ask you to login on webpage and start doing the process there, pay more fees, the ds260 form and affidavit of support form as well as uploading the supporting docs, etc. Then when all submitted and complete, fee paid etc then they will check it and if everything is correct they will email again and say that all is good and they are sending it to embassy. then wait for appointment.

Forgot to ask, are you in the US? Or, we’re you in the US when you started your application?
I am currently still in the U.K. so have submitted ours online through the USCIS portal. We submitted on the 14th of September and got our receipt of application on the 16th.

You didn’t receive a single update in over a year?

Thanks for your responses
Old Sep 25th 2020, 5:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

USCIS does not send notices or updates during processing time, unless it's an RFE asking for additional evidence. I believe you can set up an account online to go in and view your case status, but all you will see is that the case was "touched" and you won't know exactly what was done. That that's only if a person actually goes in and updates the case online, which doesn't always happen. It's not reliable.

Rene
Old Sep 25th 2020, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

stuwoolf is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Let me give you my recent and current experience, albeit using the "quick" DCF route.

Sent papers - i-130 Spouse Visa - to US Embassy London on March 5th and receive a "Properly Filed".

Then Covid hit!

June 29 received an email advising the Petition was Approved and the case was passed to Visa Unit US Embassy London.

Waited 2.5 months for a case number.

With the case number its possible to book a medical and a visa interview. Medicals appointments are easy to come by. Interview appointments are rather more difficult to get. Not withstanding possible cancellations, it will be fortunate to get an interview date in November. I understand interviews only take place on Tuesday and Thursday.

So far, the "quick" route has taken 8 months.

Quite what is happening on other filing routes is anyones guess. I am completely unsighted on that.

Having said all that, please dont be put off. It is what it is. The sooner you start then sooner you are on your way. However, gird your loins and be ready for a very frustrating rollercoaster ride!

I wish you good luck.

🙂

Last edited by stuwoolf; Sep 25th 2020 at 7:23 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2020, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
USCIS does not send notices or updates during processing time, unless it's an RFE asking for additional evidence. I believe you can set up an account online to go in and view your case status, but all you will see is that the case was "touched" and you won't know exactly what was done. That that's only if a person actually goes in and updates the case online, which doesn't always happen. It's not reliable.

Rene

Yes, this is the point we are at currently. I know the case has been opened and received, but as you say, who knows that that actually entails.
Old Sep 25th 2020, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by stuwoolf
Hi,

Let me give you my recent and current experience, albeit using the "quick" DCF route.

Sent papers - i-130 Spouse Visa - to US Embassy London on March 5th and receive a "Properly Filed".

Then Covid hit!

June 29 received an email advising the Petition was Approved and the case was passed to Visa Unit US Embassy London.

Watied 2.5 months for a case number.

With the case number its possible to book a medical and a visa interview. Medicals appointments are easy to come by. Interview appointments are rather more difficult to get. Not withstanding possible cancellations, it will be fortunate to get an interview date in November. I understand interviews only take place on Tuesday and Thursday.

So far, the "quick" route has taken 8 months.

Quite what is happening on other filing routes is anyones guess. I am completely unsighted on that.

Having said all that, please dont be put off. It is what it is. The sooner you start then sooner you are on your way. However, gird your loins and be ready for a very frustrating rollercoaster ride!

I wish you good luck.

🙂

Thanks for this. Unfortunately, they have suspended the expedited service due to Covid, otherwise I would have gone down this route.
We had hoped that a year was a fair estimate, allowing for frustration. However, it may seem as though a year would be lucky

We’ll buckle in and enjoy the ride I guess, albeit a boring one by the sounds of it! At least we’ll reap the rewards at the end. As for now we have the issue of trying to book an appointment for a consular report for a birth abroad, which they are only taking bookings a week in advance currently and they are nigh on impossible to get.
Old Sep 25th 2020, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

Forgot to ask, are you in the US? Or, we’re you in the US when you started your application?
I am currently still in the U.K. so have submitted ours online through the USCIS portal. We submitted on the 14th of September and got our receipt of application on the 16th.

I am in UK and wife is in US. we filled in paperwork when I was there after we married then the day after I returned to UK she took copies of the whole package then once got the marriage certificate back with certified copies she sent the original off to the drop box then mailed me a full copy of everything. That was actually last time I saw her in person as we couldn't plan a visit as we had no idea what was going on with no updates on case, it's just been lots of skype and texts
Old Sep 25th 2020, 6:40 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this. Unfortunately, they have suspended the expedited service due to Covid, otherwise I would have gone down this route.
We had hoped that a year was a fair estimate, allowing for frustration. However, it may seem as though a year would be lucky

We’ll buckle in and enjoy the ride I guess, albeit a boring one by the sounds of it! At least we’ll reap the rewards at the end. As for now we have the issue of trying to book an appointment for a consular report for a birth abroad, which they are only taking bookings a week in advance currently and they are nigh on impossible to get.
The "expedited service" you refer to is the old DCF process, which is gone forever. It's not suspended due to COVID. USCIS ended that service completely.

Rene
Old Sep 26th 2020, 8:25 am
Just Joined

blessed345 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am in UK and wife is in US. we filled in paperwork when I was there after we married then the day after I returned to UK she took copies of the whole package then once got the marriage certificate back with certified copies she sent the original off to the drop box then mailed me a full copy of everything. That was actually last time I saw her in person as we couldn't plan a visit as we had no idea what was going on with no updates on case, it's just been lots of skype and texts
I dont know how the process works...but couldnt you have stayed there while the paperwork was being processed over there ?

Old Sep 26th 2020, 9:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by blessed345
I dont know how the process works...but couldnt you have stayed there while the paperwork was being processed over there ?
Yes if I wanted to take the risk of going over on a vwp with the purpose of getting married and staying then running the risk of it getting rejected and banned from the US. We wanted to do it the proper way and when we did it it was only showing as 6-8 month processing time. My cousin who put paperwork in around same time or just a little later than we did, had theirs completed even after nvc rejected it firstly and they were together in the US earlier this year. Though technically if it wasn't for Covid then I would be there now as original interview was for 24th April
Old Sep 26th 2020, 10:35 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blessed345
1st post and you're proposing something that is total illegal, visa fraud, and can get you a permanent ban from the US.

Good job!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.