Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Applying for EAD and leaving country

Applying for EAD and leaving country

Old Feb 3rd 2004, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice
Default Applying for EAD and leaving country

It seems like some of the EAD waiting pressure might be relievable if it were possible to enter the country on say a two-week vacation and activate the K3, and then return to the home country (and continue working) and wait out the 90ish days for the EAD to come through from there.

Provided there is an address you can use in the US, is there anything legally problematic with this?
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 1:05 am
csf
BE Enthusiast

csf will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Applying for EAD and leaving country

Originally posted by CalgaryAMC
It seems like some of the EAD waiting pressure might be relievable if it were possible to enter the country on say a two-week vacation and activate the K3, and then return to the home country (and continue working) and wait out the 90ish days for the EAD to come through from there.

Provided there is an address you can use in the US, is there anything legally problematic with this?
Calgary, I am quite certain that with the H1-B visa, it is possible to leave the country and return, as long as the H1-B is still valid. At least I think this is the case.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 1:22 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by CalgaryAMC

Personally don't see the problem (but then I'm not an attorney) with this as the K-3 is a multiple entry visa. I'm assuming the USC spouse will be remaining in the US unless they are free to travel for up to three months or so. However, bear in mind that you have to be in the US for biometrics for the EAD which can come a month or perhaps a few weeks after submission of the I-765.

Rete
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally posted by Rete
Personally don't see the problem (but then I'm not an attorney) with this as the K-3 is a multiple entry visa. I'm assuming the USC spouse will be remaining in the US unless they are free to travel for up to three months or so. However, bear in mind that you have to be in the US for biometrics for the EAD which can come a month or perhaps a few weeks after submission of the I-765.

Rete
My wife lives with me in Canada, so the status quo would continue (I know I am very lucky in this sense).

Thanks for the information about biometrics. I didn't realise that could be done so soon. Another short vacation then.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

Zenas is a jewel in the roughZenas is a jewel in the roughZenas is a jewel in the roughZenas is a jewel in the roughZenas is a jewel in the rough

That is what we will be doing. As soon as I get my K3, I will cross the border for the day to get my I-94, come back the same day and send everything in. Once I have my bio appt. I'll make the plane trip to visit at the same time.