Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Applying for Citizenship

Wikiposts

Applying for Citizenship

Old Sep 13th 2008, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

uncle hammy is just really niceuncle hammy is just really niceuncle hammy is just really niceuncle hammy is just really niceuncle hammy is just really niceuncle hammy is just really niceuncle hammy is just really niceuncle hammy is just really nice
Default Applying for Citizenship

Hi all,

It's been almost 3 years now since I arrive din the US with my green card, thanks in large part to the great help fro several people in here.

I am now ready to apply for US citizenship, and have a couple questions....

1. I am under the understanding that as the spouse of an usc, I am able to apply for us citizenship after 3 years less 90 days of permanent residency, correct?

2. To get the ball rolling on this, is it for N-400 I complete?

3. Any other tidbits anyone would like to pass along as I start down this road?

Thanks,
Scott
Old Sep 13th 2008, 6:37 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for Citizenship

Originally Posted by uncle hammy
Hi all,

It's been almost 3 years now since I arrive din the US with my green card, thanks in large part to the great help fro several people in here.

I am now ready to apply for US citizenship, and have a couple questions....

1. I am under the understanding that as the spouse of an usc, I am able to apply for us citizenship after 3 years less 90 days of permanent residency, correct?

2. To get the ball rolling on this, is it for N-400 I complete?

3. Any other tidbits anyone would like to pass along as I start down this road?

Thanks,
Scott
Scott, sounds like you have the basics right. There are some other requrirements (time spent in the US etc) that you'll want to review. I put all the links in the wiki here:
Naturalization US Citizenship Resources

and this is handy too: Pros and Cons to Getting US Citizenship
Old Sep 13th 2008, 9:41 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

One thing to note is while you can file 90 days before the 3 year mark your marriage has to have passed its third wedding anniversary.

Also if you entered the US before the age of 26 you were to sign up for selective service. If you did not then you will have to wait until age 31 to apply.
Old Sep 13th 2008, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

uncle hammy is just really niceuncle hammy is just really niceuncle hammy is just really niceuncle hammy is just really niceuncle hammy is just really niceuncle hammy is just really niceuncle hammy is just really niceuncle hammy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rete
One thing to note is while you can file 90 days before the 3 year mark your marriage has to have passed its third wedding anniversary.

Also if you entered the US before the age of 26 you were to sign up for selective service. If you did not then you will have to wait until age 31 to apply.
Thanks for the replies. My wife and I have been married for 9 years, I was 33 when I entered the US, and am now 36, so I think I'm all set with those issues. THough I'm glad you pointed them out, because I was not aware of them.

Thanks for the links too, I am sure they'll be quite helpful. What's the usual time frame on this, does anyone have ballparks?
Old Sep 14th 2008, 12:34 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Usually 12 months on average nationwide. Results vary from district office to district office.

Since you are applying based on marriage to a USC be sure to include the required documents to prove the marriage and it ongoing viability. After 9 years, I'm sure you have more than enough evidence of that.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Usually 12 months on average nationwide. Results vary from district office to district office.

Since you are applying based on marriage to a USC be sure to include the required documents to prove the marriage and it ongoing viability. After 9 years, I'm sure you have more than enough evidence of that.
I am assuming you are referring to bank accounts, property, children (though I suspect if I include our kids, USCIS might just send 'em back ), that sort of thing?