Application Cancelled

Old May 5th 2018, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

RainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Application Cancelled

So, my USC husband petitioned for me (I-130) two years ago, but we put our application on hold as we needed to delay for family reasons. He petitioned DCF in London. April 2017 I received a letter from the US Embassy advising me that if I didn't apply for my visa within twelve months, my application would be cancelled.
In December 2017 I filed my DS-260. I thought I'd read that provided you took the next step in the visa application process, your application remained active for a year. I was wrong.
This month I booked my medical (scheduled for 22 May) and my visa interview (scheduled for 29th May), but this morning I received a letter from the Embassy informing me that my application for a visa has been cancelled due to inactivity. The letter was dated 25th April. I must have left it about a week too late. I have nonrefundable tickets to London booked and paid for, but that's nothing compared to the time and cost of starting over again.
A warning for others.
Old May 5th 2018, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

leema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Application Cancelled

I am sure others with knowledge will advise you at some point today.I did the same thing as you by slowing down my DCF process and asked a few questions on here to clarify different things. I was given sound advice from mods and other posters.

My understanding is that if you filled out the DS-260 within a year, you would be ‘good’ for another 12 months. I filled out the DS-260 in April 2017 and booked an interview about two months later. I changed my interview date twice in the coming months and eventually interviewed in October 2017 so 11 months after we started the process. Although we didn’t leave gaps as long as yours, we did spread it out until we were ready. I would hope that as you filed your DS-260 less than a year ago that you can sort this out. It might even be a clerical error caused by the embassy move but I am merely speculating that suggestion.

There will be a few well informed people able to advise you further/better on this at some point today I’m sure.
Old May 5th 2018, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

RainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leema5
I would hope that as you filed your DS-260 less than a year ago that you can sort this out. It might even be a clerical error caused by the embassy move but I am merely speculating that suggestion.

Thanks. Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think it might be an error. It didn't say I had to attend my interview within the year, just that I had to apply for the visa. Isn't the DS-260 the visa application? My despondency from this morning is beginning to lift!
Old May 5th 2018, 2:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Have you attempted to contact the US Embassy to see if the petition can be reactivated? Perhaps with their knowing that you have booked the medical, etc. they might be willing to reconsider.
Old May 5th 2018, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Have you attempted to contact the US Embassy to see if the petition can be reactivated? Perhaps with their knowing that you have booked the medical, etc. they might be willing to reconsider.
I will first thing on Tuesday, when it opens. (It's a bank holiday weekend here.)
Old May 7th 2018, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

I've emailed the embassy. Hoping they read emails! Just in case, I'm also sending a letter in the post. If I get a few minutes during work tomorrow (not likely), I'll call as well!
Old May 7th 2018, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

leema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond reputeleema5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RainyDays
I've emailed the embassy. Hoping they read emails! Just in case, I'm also sending a letter in the post. If I get a few minutes during work tomorrow (not likely), I'll call as well!

Hoping for a positive result for you. Can I ask when exactly your husband petitoned for you and when the I-130 was approved? I’m assuming it was December 2016 or after but I was just wondering.
Old May 7th 2018, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

He petitioned in January 2016 and it was approved in April 2016. We had originally planned to move in August 2016, but due to an illness (and eventually death) in the family, we had to put everything on hold.

I heard from the embassy in April 2017 to say it had been 12 months and I had another 12 months to apply for my visa.

My husband got a job offer in September 2017 and I filed DS-260 in December 2017.

We've dragged it out due to a change in circumstances. But now we're ready to move ahead (he's been there since January) and my daughter starts high school in August, I'd hoped to be there this summer. It's out of my hands. I'm fairly relaxed about it.
Old May 7th 2018, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

If you were approved in April 2016, you would need to do something else with your application before April 2017 - as you are aware.

When the embassy contacted you in April 2017 to alert you to the 12 months - had you, or did you confirm to them that you did not intend to abandon your petition?

If you didn’t, then ordinarily I would say that you surpassed the 12 months which explains the cancellation.

But, because the embassy contacted you and instructed you that you had a further twelve months, you could argue that you followed the instructions they gave you and should hopefully, therefore, be allowed to proceed to your interview.

I hope they respond quckly to your email or that your call is fruitful!
Old May 11th 2018, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

All is well. The embassy contacted me to say that my application has been reinstated and I should go to my interview at the end of the month. No explanation. I'm sure it was an administrative error. I'm so relieved. My husband is now in the US which would have meant w'd have to start over and wouldn't have been able to file via London.
Old May 11th 2018, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Keoman is an unknown quantity at this point

All is well. The embassy contacted me to say that my application has been reinstated and I should go to my interview at the end of the month. No explanation. I'm sure it was an administrative error. I'm so relieved. My husband is now in the US which would have meant w'd have to start over and wouldn't have been able to file via London.

Good news!!
Old May 11th 2018, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Fantastic. So pleased that it’s been resolved, I’m sure you must’ve been thoroughly anxious.
Old May 11th 2018, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad they actually saw your email and responded.
Old May 11th 2018, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tom169
Glad they actually saw your email and responded.
I was thoroughly shocked; I doubted anyone at the embassy read email. I had typed out a letter and was all ready to pop to the post office after work on Thursday. So, a nice surprise (after 6 very anxious days!)
Old May 13th 2018, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Let us hope that your forum signature isn't too far wrong!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.