Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

APO and Convictions re: Moving to Chicago

Wikiposts

APO and Convictions re: Moving to Chicago

Old Jul 10th 2009, 7:49 am
Blue

Waza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really niceWaza is just really nice
Default Re: APO and Convictions re: Moving to Chicago

Originally Posted by meauxna
Now that your thread is in the right forum, the answers will be more on target if you detail exactly what charges, and when they occurred, and what age you were when you were convicted. London has been requiring a mental health screen for alcoholism with charges like that, and the length of time doesn't seem to matter, from recent posts.
You'd do best to prepare for this ahead of time.
Off hand not sure exactly what year or charges, but was approx 1990 and i was 30 at the time.Charges were something like " Criminal damage" ( a fight were a window was broken) and "Drunk & Disordely" ( a night in the cells).
Obviously i will find out exactly what and when the charges were.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 9:47 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: APO and Convictions re: Moving to Chicago

Originally Posted by Waza
Off hand not sure exactly what year or charges, but was approx 1990 and i was 30 at the time.Charges were something like " Criminal damage" ( a fight were a window was broken) and "Drunk & Disordely" ( a night in the cells).
Obviously i will find out exactly what and when the charges were.
There are two parts here:

1. Criminal damage, which is a criminal offense, and needs to be considered under section 212(a) of the USC. Depending on the severity of the crime, and the maximum sentence that could have been handed down, you may need a waiver.

2. Drunk and disorderly. On its own, this is a civil offence, and is nit subject to section 212(a) -- unless things have changed recently: my information comes from the '80s. However, as pointed out above, the fact of having two convictions means that you may potentially be considered an alcoholic, and be inadmissible for that reason. If it is the case, then as Meaux said, you will need to be assessed by an approved doctor.

Right now might be a good time to speak with an immigration lawyer who has experience in these areas, especially since you are potentially subject to a double whammy.