Wikiposts

AP re-entry date i-94

Old Mar 5th 2002, 6:35 am
Rcs

Default AP re-entry date i-94

1) I am wondering if someone can help me with this question. My AP paper has an
expiry date of the 24th of March 2002 on it. However, the I- 94 and the INS
stamp at the Aiport says, "Valid unti - indef". When I had asked the INS officer
at the SFO airport, he told me its valid till I get my GC stamp. I have to
travel Internationally and I do not want to be stuck so I am wondering if I need
to get a new AP?

2)Its been almost 7 months that I applied for my AOS at SF. I havent heard anything
from them as yet. I am wondering if anyone knows how I can find the status of my
application. From the website i see that it should take no more than 7 months and I
am fast approaching the 8th month.

Please advise.

Thanks, RCS

Old Mar 5th 2002, 10:35 am
Michael Voight

Default Re: AP re-entry date i-94

rcs wrote:
    >
    > 1) I am wondering if someone can help me with this question. My AP paper has an
    > expiry date of the 24th of March 2002 on it. However, the I- 94 and the INS
    > stamp at the Aiport says, "Valid unti - indef". When I had asked the INS officer
    > at the SFO airport, he told me its valid till I get my GC stamp. I have to
    > travel Internationally and I do not want to be stuck so I am wondering if I need
    > to get a new AP?

The date on the AP. Otherwise, why would you have needed an AP in the first place if
you can get in with an expired one?

>
    > 2)Its been almost 7 months that I applied for my AOS at SF. I havent heard anything
    > from them as yet. I am wondering if anyone knows how I can find the status of my
    > application. From the website i see that it should take no more than 7 months and
    > I am fast approaching the 8th month.
    >
    > Please advise.
    >
    > Thanks, RCS

Old Mar 5th 2002, 10:57 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Valid until ... indef means your pending AOS status is valid indefinitely because they can't tell you when you are going to become a permanent resident. It does not refer to the validity of the I-94 or your A/P.

You will need a new one if you plan on returning after its expiration.

Rete
Old Mar 5th 2002, 3:05 pm
Rcs

Mike, Thanks for the witty reply however, you didnt read my question properly. I too
know that it is expiring on the 24th of march, however the stamp on my passport says
"valid until - indefintely", and thats precisely the reason why I am questioning
which holds higher precedence, the date on the AP or the Passport?

Alvena or Mathew U. if could respond, I will much appreciate it.

Thanks, RS

[email protected] (rcs) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > 1) I am wondering if someone can help me with this question. My AP paper has an
    > expiry date of the 24th of March 2002 on it. However, the I- 94 and the INS
    > stamp at the Aiport says, "Valid unti - indef". When I had asked the INS officer
    > at the SFO airport, he told me its valid till I get my GC stamp. I have to
    > travel Internationally and I do not want to be stuck so I am wondering if I need
    > to get a new AP?
    >
    > 2)Its been almost 7 months that I applied for my AOS at SF. I havent heard anything
    > from them as yet. I am wondering if anyone knows how I can find the status of my
    > application. From the website i see that it should take no more than 7 months and
    > I am fast approaching the 8th month.
    >
    > Please advise.
    >
    > Thanks, RCS

Old Mar 6th 2002, 12:35 am
Andy Platt

"rcs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Mike, Thanks for the witty reply however, you didnt read my question properly. I
    > too know that it is expiring on the 24th of march, however the stamp on my passport
    > says "valid until - indefintely", and thats precisely the reason why I am
    > questioning which holds higher precedence, the date on the AP or the Passport?
    >
    > Alvena or Mathew U. if could respond, I will much appreciate it.

Michael's right - it's the date on the AP that is significant for *new entries*. You
are confusing the date of entry with the expiry date you are given on the I-94.

Essentially, what you have is the right to *remain* in the US indefinitely while they
process your AP. As soon as you leave the US that right disappears (along with your
surrendered I-94) and you start again when entering the US. Obviously if you don't
have the correct paperwork to reenter the US (e.g. a valid I-512) you'll be stuck.

It's the same with a tourist visa. Let's say your visa expires today
(3/6/02). You could enter on that visa today and be granted a six month period to
9/6/02. However, if you left next week, you would not be able to re-enter the
US until you had a new tourist visa even though you could have remained here.

Andy.

P.S. Not all POEs give an indefinite stay when entering with AP - in particular
Dulles just give a year. To be honest I'm not sure what the legal position is
if you were to overstay this! I've never stayed here for more than a few months
at a time so it's never mattered to me. I was going to enquire when I returned
to the US on my advance parole yesterday about this but I had already caused
enough "trouble" by pointing out that one of the guys was pulling the folders
out in reverse order so that people who had come in after us were being dealt
with first.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Mar 6th 2002, 6:35 am
Rcs

Thank-you all for your clear explanations.

"Andy Platt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > "rcs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Mike, Thanks for the witty reply however, you didnt read my question properly. I
    > > too know that it is expiring on the 24th of march, however the stamp on my
    > > passport says "valid until - indefintely", and thats precisely the reason why I
    > > am questioning which holds higher precedence, the date on the AP or the Passport?
    > >
    > > Alvena or Mathew U. if could respond, I will much appreciate it.
    >
    > Michael's right - it's the date on the AP that is significant for *new entries*.
    > You are confusing the date of entry with the expiry date you are given on the I-94.
    >
    > Essentially, what you have is the right to *remain* in the US indefinitely while
    > they process your AP. As soon as you leave the US that right disappears (along
    > with your surrendered I-94) and you start again when entering the US. Obviously if
    > you don't have the correct paperwork to reenter the US (e.g. a valid I-512) you'll
    > be stuck.
    >
    > It's the same with a tourist visa. Let's say your visa expires today
    > (3/6/02). You could enter on that visa today and be granted a six month period to
    > 9/6/02. However, if you left next week, you would not be able to re-enter
    > the US until you had a new tourist visa even though you could have remained
    > here.
    >
    > Andy.
    >
    > P.S. Not all POEs give an indefinite stay when entering with AP - in particular
    > Dulles just give a year. To be honest I'm not sure what the legal position is
    > if you were to overstay this! I've never stayed here for more than a few
    > months at a time so it's never mattered to me. I was going to enquire when I
    > returned to the US on my advance parole yesterday about this but I had already
    > caused enough "trouble" by pointing out that one of the guys was pulling the
    > folders out in reverse order so that people who had come in after us were
    > being dealt with first.