AP experience and importing vehicle from Canada

Wikiposts

AP experience and importing vehicle from Canada

Old Dec 16th 2003, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

eiloo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AP experience and importing vehicle from Canada

Hi All,

Just thought I'd share my experience yesterday at the Peace Bridge in Fort Erie, Ontario and Buffalo, NY. My car was "decently" full of personal effects, household effects and some stuff we had bought while in Canada for the weekend... None of this was asked about or checked throughout the whole process.

A total of 45 minutes processing time, which included waiting for the documents to come in from the Inspector's booth.

When I arrived at the booth, I handed the inspector my wife's and my passports along with my AP (one original and one copy). I also told her that I would like to import my vehicle as well. She didn't ask any questions at all... started jotting information on the orange "post-it" like sheet with my plates and information about how many people are in the vehicle. She then told us to drive over to the building where secondary inspections take place.

First stop was CIS... the officer asked our Citizenships, gave my wife her passport back, then asked me, "When did you leave us?"
Filled out some other forms and then said everything was good... took out my old I-94 and put in a new one. He then told me to go back outside to another door where they do Customs...

Waited there for a few minutes and had another officer take care of the import of the vehicle... He hadn't done one in a long time, (or at all)... since certain parts of the form, he had no clue as to what to fill out... all he did was make mine "look" like the sample form he had in the binder.

The two forms they give back to you, is what the Maryland MVA required... CF-7501 and HS-7. Do check with DMV in your state to find out what forms are required...

The forms that I completed beforehand and provided to the Officer were the HS-7 (from NHTSA) and the EPA form, though he didn't care much about the EPA. I filled out that one since the CBP website said it would be required. Also I needed to provide my current Registration with the Province of Ontario along with a letter from the manufacturer of the vehicle. On the NHTSA website, it will tell you what the letter you get from the manufacturer should say and whether or not you have a valid letter. If the letter doesn't sound good, then you're better off not even trying to import the vehicle.

Any other questions... do let me know...

Good Luck!
Ian
Old Dec 16th 2003, 7:21 am
Valley of the Sun

souls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: AP experience and importing vehicle from Canada

thanks!

that just may come in handy in a couple months.. I too will be driving down from toronto (I hope
Old Dec 16th 2003, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

eiloo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by souls canuck
thanks!

that just may come in handy in a couple months.. I too will be driving down from toronto (I hope

good luck to you... fellow Torontonian...
Old Dec 16th 2003, 4:15 pm
Mattias Hembruch

In article <[email protected]>,
souls canuck <member15831@british_expats.com> wrote:
    >thanks!
    >that just may come in handy in a couple months.. I too will be driving
    >down from toronto (I hope

Wish I could drive from K-W... But... They don't like '94 Corrados for some
reason.. (no airbags/auto seatbelts, I think)

Guess I'll fly and buy a new car..

Mattias