Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AP article : States hire foreign teachers to ease shortages

Wikiposts

AP article : States hire foreign teachers to ease shortages

Old Sep 16th 2008, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

newXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to all
Default AP article : States hire foreign teachers to ease shortages

Saw an interesting article on how some states are hiring teachers from overseas due to shortages of US teachers. The article doesn't say what kind of visa they are using but I imagine it is H1-B.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 2:33 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AP article : States hire foreign teachers to ease shortages

Originally Posted by newXgate
Saw an interesting article on how some states are hiring teachers from overseas due to shortages of US teachers. The article doesn't say what kind of visa they are using but I imagine it is H1-B.
J-1 ....
Old Sep 16th 2008, 2:51 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

There is no shortage of teachers in the US. There are lots of people with teaching credentials but there is a shortage of people with teaching credentials who are willing to teach in inner schools where the conditions are hazardous and the pay crappy.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 2:54 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by newXgate
Hi:

The numerical restrictions and the fact that school starts a month before October 1st works against H-1b.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 2:55 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rete
There is no shortage of teachers in the US. There are lots of people with teaching credentials but there is a shortage of people with teaching credentials who are willing to teach in inner schools where the conditions are hazardous and the pay crappy.
Rete:

I think the key words are "math and sciences."
Old Sep 16th 2008, 3:00 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

And here in the NYC area the foreign teachers are for the arts, i.e. music, art, etc. and not the sciences. Goes to show that different areas, different needs.

My s-i-l's brother has his teaching certificate and left his teaching position in the Bronx because of the low pay and the dangerous conditions. Another friend of mine will only work in private schools.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

newXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to all

I quote from the article

"The school system in coastal Baldwin County _ 60 miles by 25 miles of Alabama farmland framed on two sides by waterfront towns _ was short on teachers, especially in courses such as math and science. ".

It is not just inner city schools, here they are talking about rural ones. As regards wages, I guess the question is how feasible it would be to increase property taxes to the level needed to attract these US -based teachers to those areas.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 3:03 am
Account Closed

And here in the NYC area the foreign teachers are for the arts, i.e. music, art, etc. and not the sciences. Goes to show that different areas, different needs.

My s-i-l's brother has his teaching certificate and left his teaching position in the Bronx because of the low pay and the dangerous conditions. Another friend of mine will only work in private schools.
Hi:

Curious. I know that the shortage of math and science teachers in the secondary schools have been chronic. On the wage level -- in general, Union scale is considered prevailing as a general rule, except in the construction trades.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla

Curious. I know that the shortage of math and science teachers in the secondary schools have been chronic.
Once again, this must be very regional. My nephew is a newly-qualified math teacher. This summer he drove thousands of miles around Michigan seeking his first teaching job. He didn't find it. He's now working as a teacher's assistant - low pay and no benefits.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 6:42 am
Concierge

I can tell you that in this area a tenured teacher will earn $65,000 and above.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 7:45 am
Professional Drama Queen

Songbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond repute

ok this interests me

I was forced to abandon my PGCE due to medical reasons. Anyone have any idea what the equivalent to a PGCE is here in the USA? Do they have such a thing? For those that aren't UK a PGCE is a course that you can complete after obtaining your degree which qualifies you teach.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 7:51 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I can tell you that in this area a tenured teacher will earn $65,000 and above.
How does that compare to the average wage?
Old Sep 17th 2008, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

markhawksley is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Songbird
ok this interests me

I was forced to abandon my PGCE due to medical reasons. Anyone have any idea what the equivalent to a PGCE is here in the USA? Do they have such a thing? For those that aren't UK a PGCE is a course that you can complete after obtaining your degree which qualifies you teach.
I am a British teacher in Nevada. I graduated with a Bachelor's in Geology from Keele, then did a secondary science PGCE. When I can had my transcripts 'translated' into their US equivalents by ECE Inc, the PGCE was the same as a B.Ed with a teaching major in Earth Science so I was fine. I had to do some Praxis tests for my Nevada license, but any teacher with half a brain can pass those.