Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS and working with false papers - Who did this?

Wikiposts

AOS and working with false papers - Who did this?

Old Jun 5th 2002, 2:20 am
John

Default AOS and working with false papers - Who did this?

Did you fill out your own paperwork for the INS? How did you report this, if you did?

John

Old Jun 5th 2002, 2:25 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS and working with false papers - Who did this?

Working without proper INS authorization is forgiven of those that are adjusting status based on marriage to a US citizen.

However, working with fraudulent INS authorization is NOT forgiven no matter how you are adjusting. That being the case, who would be dumb enough to admit?

R
Old Jun 5th 2002, 9:20 am
Mrtravel

Rete wrote:
    >
    > Working without proper INS authorization is forgiven of those that are adjusting
    > status based on marriage to a US citizen.
    >
    > However, working with fraudulent INS authorization is NOT forgiven no matter how
    > you are adjusting. That being the case, who would be dumb enough to admit?

Because it would be worse if you didn't admit it and they found out. After all, if
you admit to working, then they are going to want to know how you handled the I-9
bit. If they go to your employer and he has copies of what you presented and a signed
I-9 from you, then you may have a bigger problem. After all, on the I-9, it does
state by signing it you are stating that you authorized to work in the US. That is
more than just working in the US, that is lying on a federal document.

Old Jun 5th 2002, 12:20 pm
Alvena Ferreira

John wrote:
    > Did you fill out your own paperwork for the INS? How did you report this, if
    > you did?
    >
John, from what I understand, illegal work itself is not an issue for the spouse of
a US citizen, it is forgiven: See item (c) on this page: http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/l-
pBin/lpext.dll/inserts/slb/slb-1/slb-21/slb-6035?f=templates&fn=document-frame.htm#-
slb-act245

HOWEVER, working with forged/illegal documents is NOT automatically forgiven: http:/-
/www.ins.usdoj.gov/lpBin/lpext.dll/inserts/slb/slb-1/slb-21/slb-7419?f=templates&fn=-
document-frame.htm#slb-act274ccap

From what I have seen posted here, however, the INS *may* offer the US citizen the
option of filing for a waiver for this. The best action for this situation is to get
an immigration attorney and let them assist with the case. You need legal advice to
know exactly where you stand. Filing a waiver is best done with attorney assistance.
If you cannot afford an attorney, there may be free/cheap legal services in your
area. Good places to start for finding cheap/free legal services:
1. Your local bar association: call them. They usually have some attorneys who do a
certain amount of pro bono work.
2. Catholic charities.
3. the local spouse abuse center.
4. the "about us" page for your local INS office may have some resources for free or
cheap legal services listed, usually at tha bottom of the "about us" page: Select
your district office from this page, and then click the "about us" link:
http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/fi...ces/alphaa.htm

Alvena

Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
=========================================
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
gleaned from the previous postings of others, and posted for the purpose of
discussion only. If your case is complicated, then you may need an immigration
attorney. Locate an immigration attorney in your area at: http://www.aila.org
=========================================

Old Jun 6th 2002, 2:20 am
John

mrtravel <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Because it would be worse if you didn't admit it and they found out.

Which is what I have heard on this group. Someone out there MUST of had this
problem...please let me know what you did and what happened!

Old Jun 6th 2002, 3:20 am
Mrtravel

John wrote:
    >
    > mrtravel <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    > > Because it would be worse if you didn't admit it and they found out.
    >
    > Which is what I have heard on this group. Someone out there MUST of had this
    > problem...please let me know what you did and what happened!

Not really. After all, if you were previously denied for a visa simply because you
couldn't prove you wouldn't stay, there is NO reason to lie when applying for another
B-2 when you do have this evidence. Circumstances change.. You chose to lie to avoid
any possible block to visiting your sister in the US.. You could have visited your
sister somewhere else. Now, you want to know what you should do.. Then, after
fraudulently filing the paperwork and getting the B-2, you chose to overstay it.
Normally overstaying isn't a big deal. However, combined with lying about a previous
denial to get the B-2, compounds the potential problems.

You should get LEGAL advice from a LAWYER experienced in such matters. You should
make whatever decision you are making BEFORE you overstay by more than 180 days.

Old Jun 6th 2002, 3:20 am
Andy Platt

Unfortunately people who come here looking for advice on unusual issues seldom come
back and post what happened to them but here are exceptions - search deja.com/usenet
for postings over the last few years.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "John" <[email protected]>
wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > mrtravel <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > > Because it would be worse if you didn't admit it and they found out.
    >
    > Which is what I have heard on this group. Someone out there MUST of had this
    > problem...please let me know what you did and what happened!

Old Jun 6th 2002, 3:33 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously the only way INS is going to know is if you used a legitimate social security number and paid taxes on your earned income. If you used a phony EAD card and/or Green Card when you completed an I-9 for the employer than my honest suggestion would be to get yourself a GOOD immigration attorney who is familiar with fraud cases.

As Andy said few with any type of serious problem will report back to the NG of the decisions regarding their cases.

Again if you have traceable income back to you, then you have no choice. But if you worked under phony documents which you won't be using again ... welllllllll

R
Old Jun 6th 2002, 10:20 am
John

mrtravel <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > Which is what I have heard on this group. Someone out there MUST of had this
    > > problem...please let me know what you did and what happened!
    >
    > Not really. After all, if you were previously denied for a visa simply because you
    > couldn't prove you wouldn't stay, there is NO reason to lie when applying for
    > another B-2 when you do have this evidence. Circumstances change.. You chose to lie
    > to avoid any possible block to visiting your sister in the US.. You could have
    > visited your sister somewhere else. Now, you want to know what you should do..
    > Then, after fraudulently filing the paperwork and getting the B-2, you chose to
    > overstay it. Normally overstaying isn't a big deal. However, combined with lying
    > about a previous denial to get the B-2, compounds the potential problems.
    >
    > You should get LEGAL advice from a LAWYER experienced in such matters. You should
    > make whatever decision you are making BEFORE you overstay by more than 180 days.

She entered on a tourist visa, used false papers to get a job, overstayed 6 years and
now I want to marry her. I'm sure there are a lot of people who had a similar
situation and I'd like to hear how they adjusted their status and what happened.

John

Old Jun 7th 2002, 12:20 am
Andy Platt

"John" <[email protected]> wrote:

> overstayed 6 years and now I want to marry her. I'm sure there are a lot of people
    > who had a similar situation and I'd like to hear how they adjusted their status and
    > what happened.

I basically told you this much yesterday but to repeat: There *may* be a lot of
people in this situation but they either don't post to this newsgroup or ask
questions like this and never follow up to say what their experience is.

However, you can search the newsgroup archives at http://groups.google.com

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Jun 7th 2002, 10:20 am
John

Rete <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Seriously the only way INS is going to know is if you used a legitimate social
    > security number and paid taxes on your earned income. If you used a phony EAD card
    > and/or Green Card when you completed an I-9 for the employer than my honest
    > suggestion would be to get yourself a GOOD immigration attorney who is familiar
    > with fraud cases.
    >
    > As Andy said few with any type of serious problem will report back to the NG of the
    > decisions regarding their cases.
    >
    > Again if you have traceable income back to you, then you have no choice. But if you
    > worked under phony documents which you won't be using again .. welllllllll
    >
    > R

The SS# has her name on it but not the same number as the other one she has. She has
never filled out an income tax form but had witholdings like everyone else. Of course
we won't be using that SS number again.