Wikiposts

AOS Window?

Old Mar 24th 2002, 9:05 am
R Haney

Default AOS Window?

Hey group, Been a while since posted. Re: now, my (former) fiancée and I are married
(thank you ) and I have a question. I've heard that there is a two-week window
after the marriage to file the AOS papers (two additional weeks if you were on a
honeymoon.) But, this was simply word of mouth from a friend. I can't find this
two-week issue mentioned anywhere online. Does anybody have a definitive answer? One
week is passed already, I'm waiting for the DIY book to arrive, and I'm getting a
little nervous...

Thanks!

~Ralph Petaluma, CA

Old Mar 24th 2002, 9:05 am
Shelley

Default Re: AOS Window?

I don't believe there is any such rule either. The only rule with filing the AOS is
making sure your new spouse remains in legal status, such as K-1ers have 90 days from
the date of entry to marry and file AOS. Those who marry on other visas should file
before the visa expires - in the case of tourist visas time to file can be within 90
days to 6 months, those with a student visa or H1B may have less of hurry to file if
there are years left on their visas. If you marry someone who has overstayed a visa
then you need to file AOS asap, because the new spouse has no status to remain in the
US until all the paperwork is received by the INS. Take Care. Shelley

"R Haney" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Twrn8.118220$q2.11095@sccrnsc01...
    > Hey group, Been a while since posted. Re: now, my (former) fiancée and I are
    > married (thank you ) and I have a question. I've heard that there is a
    > two-week window after the marriage to file the AOS papers (two additional weeks
    > if you were on a honeymoon.) But, this was simply word of mouth from
a
    > friend. I can't find this two-week issue mentioned anywhere online. Does anybody
    > have a definitive answer? One week is passed already, I'm waiting for the DIY book
    > to arrive, and I'm getting a little nervous...
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > ~Ralph Petaluma, CA

Old Mar 26th 2002, 5:33 pm
Marie

Default Re: AOS Window?

they say you have to apply as soon as possible but in all i have read they never
mentionned 2 weeks....

dont worry ; )