AOS from VWP Discussion, continued by papasmurf85

Wikiposts

AOS from VWP Discussion, continued by papasmurf85

Old Jul 7th 2009, 10:13 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: AOS from VWP Discussion, continued by papasmurf85

Originally Posted by meauxna
I like that idea re: Momeni & just sent you a message about posting it.
thx
Hi:

Got it. Part of the problem of bring up Momemi is that was aslo somewhat "parsed" to death to determine the rules. Of which there are none. Besides Momemi there are also the two Freeman cases. She did the visa waiver express. A year after the adjustment was filed, he husband died. The Dark Forces denied the visa petition and summarily removed her. In Freeman I, the court held that her I-130 survived and remanded for proceedings consistent with the decision. CIS approved the I-130 but denied the I-485. In Freeman II, the court determined that CIS was well within its rights to determine that Freeman abandoned her I-485 by departing the US without advance parole when DHS removed her.

Bottom line -- DHS has the right to screw an alien -- and it will not be "safe sex." [bad pun, I know -- but I'm making a point].
Old Jul 7th 2009, 10:28 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

heh, yes, it's a bit fun going through that other thread.

BTW, papasmurf85, jmood & others interested in this topic, that thread should be required reading for you.

I haven't followed up on the Freeman issue lately (her attorney & US family are here in town) but I wonder why she didn't pursue a visa from her I-130. Maybe she wasn't really interested in living here without her husband afterall, or she earned a ban on her return.

Anyway, I've PMd one of the posters from that thread who might be able to help us create a wiki entry on the topic. If anyone else is interested, please message me.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 11:45 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Part of the problem of bring up Momemi is that was aslo somewhat "parsed" to death to determine the rules.
Nope -- the problem with Momeni and the other very few cases that have come to light is that they are very much the exception rather than the rule. And if the express method is going to be discussed with the negatives, a balanced assessment would also have to look at the obvious advantages: quickest, least hassle, shortest time apart, etc.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, the Y1B case (that other thread) is intense! An OMG! The thing I'm not clear about from that posting is how many days after the 90 day period the AOS paperwork was filed. From all that was written, it seems the only apparent reason was the 90 day overstay. However a few people expressed cynisicm as to whether there might have been something else underneath it all - as there was minimal paperwork on the deportation. Mr. Folinsky also endorsed the "they could, so they did" way of things. But given how harsh it all went, one still wonders whether there might have been something else underneath that perhaps Y1B doesn't mention.

Anyway, point well taken. There is no one answer and if "they" can, they just "might". So better do the right thing the right way.

Phew...

Originally Posted by meauxna
heh, yes, it's a bit fun going through that other thread.

BTW, papasmurf85, jmood & others interested in this topic, that thread should be required reading for you.

I haven't followed up on the Freeman issue lately (her attorney & US family are here in town) but I wonder why she didn't pursue a visa from her I-130. Maybe she wasn't really interested in living here without her husband afterall, or she earned a ban on her return.

Anyway, I've PMd one of the posters from that thread who might be able to help us create a wiki entry on the topic. If anyone else is interested, please message me.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

crosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Nope -- the problem with Momeni and the other very few cases that have come to light is that they are very much the exception rather than the rule. And if the express method is going to be discussed with the negatives, a balanced assessment would also have to look at the obvious advantages: quickest, least hassle, shortest time apart, etc.
Hey Fatbrit,
I am with you in this matter. All cases did some fundamental wrong things
within their AOS process.
Even AILA statements in the internet expressing that those examples should be viewed with care.
I found it difficult to use those cases as an example for failed AOS under VWP.

However I believe that Meauxna's statement comes very close to the true motivation via VWP AOS will be dealt with discretion in this forum.

It actually a very sensible statement in emotional disscusion.

And it's a fair point without knowing the exact legal situation.

CCR