aos from vwp

Old Mar 12th 2012, 1:19 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: aos from vwp

Remember also that if you are over the 90 days of your VWP admission then you can still return to the UK ad apply for an immigrant visa.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by md95065
Remember that if you are still under the 90 days of your VWP admission then you can still return to the UK and apply for an immigrant visa.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 3:49 am
Just Joined

cmc87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it ok to keep this thread updated with my progress, or is there an alternative area on the site?

My case status for my 1-485 updated to RFE. I suspect it's for the medical since I didn't send it with my original package. I went and had my medical today and I had to get a few jabs and the TB test. Paid $270 and have to go back in 2 days to have the test checked.

A couple of questions, I didn't have any sort of physical exam, or even really a chat with any doctor. I saw a nurse who administered the shots and took my blood pressure, temps, asked some generic health questions. The doctor only came in to sign something, and asked me four times if I was pregnant, because I have the perfect 'pregnancy temperature'. It was quite amusing, because I'm definately not, but she was very persistant on the fact. I'm guessing that isn't the norm?
Old Mar 13th 2012, 4:08 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect that you may be correct. I also think you're lucky that USCIS didn't just send the application package back to you when you first submitted it, because it was clearly incomplete.
Originally Posted by cmc87
My case status for my 1-485 updated to RFE. I suspect it's for the medical since I didn't send it with my original package.
Don't know if it's the norm or not - I've never been asked that question.
The doctor only came in to sign something, and asked me four times if I was pregnant, because I have the perfect 'pregnancy temperature'. It was quite amusing, because I'm definately not, but she was very persistant on the fact. I'm guessing that isn't the norm?
Regards, JEff
Old Mar 13th 2012, 4:57 am
Just Joined

cmc87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
I suspect that you may be correct. I also think you're lucky that USCIS didn't just send the application package back to you when you first submitted it, because it was clearly incomplete.

Don't know if it's the norm or not - I've never been asked that question.

Regards, JEff
My 90 day limit was approaching, I decided to take the risk. As soon as I saw the RFE online I booked my appointment so I can send the medical form off as soon as the paper one comes in the post.

I also have my biometrics at the end of the month.

Considering I only sent my package off two weeks ago, I've had a lot of activity. I'm hoping this means good things, although it could also mean a really long wait till interview .

It was transferred to NBC, not sure if that makes any difference in the timeline of things.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 1:50 pm

The activity you've experienced is 'up front' activity, before the case file goes into the queue waiting to be acted on. It's not an indication of how long or short that queue might be at the present time.

Regards, JEff

Considering I only sent my package off two weeks ago, I've had a lot of activity. I'm hoping this means good things, although it could also mean a really long wait till interview .
Old Mar 13th 2012, 3:18 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My 90 day limit was approaching, I decided to take the risk. As soon as I saw the RFE online I booked my appointment so I can send the medical form off as soon as the paper one comes in the post.
The thing is, USCIS won't consider you having a "properly filed" AOS until they receive the answer to their RFE (in this case, your medical results). Only then will you have a complete, properly filed AOS case, and USCIS can continue processing.

So, even though you mailed off your AOS within 90 days of your arrival on the VWP, you filed an incomplete package. Which means according to USCIS, your AOS won't be properly filed until after your 90 days were finished.

It probably won't affect you, but wanted to point out that sending off an incomplete AOS package doesn't mean you have a properly filed AOS package according to USCIS.

Rene
Old Mar 13th 2012, 3:55 pm

All I-485 applications get transferred to the NBC. The Chicago lockbox only deposits the payment and gives the submission a cursory review as it assembles the documents into a case file. The NBC is where the submission will get its first substantive review.

Regards, JEff

It was transferred to NBC, not sure if that makes any difference in the timeline of things.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

fred22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You can always hire an attorney to look over all your evidence and attend the AOS interview with you, to speak on your behalf to the Officer. He might be able to deflect her negative comments (if she has any), and can probably present your situation verbally better than you could (you might dig your grave deeper, as a layman). It's probably going to be expensive, but it's an option.
Our attorney has told us they will attend the interview with us but only to answer questions about the filing of our application, if any arise. They say they will not speak on our behalf. Is this correct?

Last edited by Noorah101; Mar 26th 2012 at 3:45 pm. Reason: fixed quoted material
Old Mar 26th 2012, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Not very often - but when they are, it's final. There is no appeal process and you become immediately removable from the US. You signed away any rights you might have had when you entered the US on the VWP.
Does anyone know what actually happens when one of these cases (aos from vwp) is denied? Our attorney says they aren't able to tell us as they have never had a client denied in these circumstances. They say the regulations don’t specify how quickly you would need to leave, saying only that the removal would be “on the first available means of transportation to the alien’s point of embarkation to the US.” It would be helpful to know if a person is expected to go directly to the airport, for example, or if they are given notice of a date by which they need to have left the country.

Last edited by Noorah101; Mar 26th 2012 at 3:46 pm. Reason: fixed quoted material
Old Mar 26th 2012, 3:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fred22
Our attorney has told us they will attend the interview with us but only to answer questions about the filing of our application, if any arise. They say they will not speak on our behalf. Is this correct?
If your attorney says that's what they will do, then that must be correct for that attorney. In general, you and your spouse must be the ones to answer the questions, correct. The lawyer is there to stop you from answering something that he feels the Officer shouldn't be asking, a question that could be incriminating, or to ask the Officer to rephrase the question, etc. I have never been in one of these types of interviews with an immigration attorney, but from what I've read on here, that's the impression I get.

Rene
Old Mar 26th 2012, 3:49 pm

Does anyone know what actually happens when one of these cases (aos from vwp) is denied? Our attorney says they aren't able to tell us as they have never had a client denied in these circumstances. They say the regulations don’t specify how quickly you would need to leave, saying only that the removal would be “on the first available means of transportation to the alien’s point of embarkation to the US.” It would be helpful to know if a person is expected to go directly to the airport, for example, or if they are given notice of a date by which they need to have left the country.
I also haven't seen many that have gotten denied. My understanding, though, is that they can take you into custody right there at the interview, and make sure that you do get on the next flight out. I get the feeling that the people who end up getting denied, don't come back on BE to post the outcome.

Rene
Old Mar 26th 2012, 4:16 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

They say they will not speak on our behalf. Is this correct?
We weren't at the meeting... how can we possibly know whether or not that's true?

Ian
Old Mar 26th 2012, 4:18 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

They say the regulations don’t specify how quickly you would need to leave, saying only that the removal would be “on the first available means of transportation to the alien’s point of embarkation to the US.”
If AOS is denied, you will be taken into custody at the interview and put on the first flight back to your home country. You won't get a chance to pack a bag.

Ian
Old Mar 26th 2012, 4:47 pm

If that's what your attorney told you they would do, it must be correct - for that attorney. Other attornies might do something different, if they are allowed to by the case officer who is conducting the interview.

As I recall the AFM (Adjudicators Field Manual) has a section about the role of the attorney at an interview.

Regards, JEff

Old Mar 28th 2012, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
If that's what your attorney told you they would do, it must be correct - for that attorney. Other attornies might do something different, if they are allowed to by the case officer who is conducting the interview.

As I recall the AFM (Adjudicators Field Manual) has a section about the role of the attorney at an interview.

Regards, JEff
OK, thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.