Wikiposts

AOS and tax returns

Old Nov 18th 2008, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

Debbie12345 is on a distinguished road
Default AOS and tax returns

Any advice on what the USEmbassy London accepts/requires for the AOS using tax returns if you've been living/working in the UK? i've read that copies of my filed returns are fine, but then they also require copies of all W2's or 1099's. Obviously the UK doesn't provide those, they give P60's but its for different tax years than the US tax year.

I'm worried about the embassy kicking this back and causing further delays.

Would it be worth my while to pay to get the IRS transcripts instead?
Old Nov 18th 2008, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS and tax returns

Originally Posted by Debbie12345

IRS tax transcripts are free. We used them in all of our filings with USCIS, as it was easier than dealing with multiple pages of 1040s, W-2s and 1099s.

I can't answer your other questions though.

EDIT: It sounds like you are doing DCF since you've been living/working in the UK. The only income you can use on the Affidavit of Support is income from a US-based source, and it must continue once you return to the US. If that isn't the case, then you can use assets to make up for the shortfall in income. Otherwise, you have to use a joint sponsor, who is at least 18 and is a US Perm. Res. or citizen, and has income that meets the poverty guidelines for his/her household size plus the immigrant.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Nov 18th 2008 at 7:14 am.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

are they? because the website says its $59.99 for each tax year?
Old Nov 18th 2008, 7:12 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Any advice on what the USEmbassy London accepts/requires for the AOS using tax returns if you've been living/working in the UK? i've read that copies of my filed returns are fine, but then they also require copies of all W2's or 1099's. Obviously the UK doesn't provide those, they give P60's but its for different tax years than the US tax year.

I'm worried about the embassy kicking this back and causing further delays.

IRS transcripts are actually free. But I'm not sure they will send to an address overseas. I know you can also request transcripts by fax - but again not sure if they'll fax overseas.

You know you can't use UK-based income on the I-864 affidavit of support, right?

Rene
Old Nov 18th 2008, 7:13 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

are they? because the website says its $59.99 for each tax year?
You might be confusing certified copies with transcripts.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

hi - no, this is the first i've heard that you can't use UK based income. Then how do you show income if you've lived/worked abroad? I've filed US tax returns for every year i've been abroad.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

also, i moved back to the US in Oct, so i have a US mailing address.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 7:16 am

hi - no, this is the first i've heard that you can't use UK based income. Then how do you show income if you've lived/worked abroad? I've filed US tax returns for every year i've been abroad.
You can't use UK income on the I-864, unless the income will contine from the same source once over in the USA.

You can use assets if you have the right amount, but lately they haven't been allowing your primary residence to be used as an asset.

Otherwise, you'll probably need a joint sponsor.

Rene
Old Nov 18th 2008, 7:17 am

Are you currently working in the USA? You can use THAT income to qualify for the I-864.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 7:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

The I-864 is supposed to show your current income. Is your current income from a US-based source, and does it meet 125% of the poverty guidelines for your household size? If so, then you're fine. Your previous income in the UK may be looked at, but the focus is on your current income.

Oh, and tax transcipts are definitely free - unless that changed very recently.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Are you currently working in the USA? You can use THAT income to qualify for the I-864.
right, i am using my US job offer letter and paystubs to prove current income. But they also ask for past US tax returns as add'l support - 2 of which are UK based income.

ok, phew. thanks for the clarification.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 7:21 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I sense a lingo disconnect...

Your I-864 will show your current income.

You will also report your past income visa income tax return transcripts; these are free copies that get to you within a couple of weeks. Using them removes the need to include W-2, 1099, P-60 etc.
Of course you can report the income you earned while overseas. But your "current income" line must be income that will continue after your immigrant gets to the US (so if your 'current income' was from a UK job, *that* wouldn't work).
If you have a US job currently, that salary the figure you're going to use for current income.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 7:28 am

OK, you seem to be fine now that we have clarification.

Your current income from your current US-based job, if it meets the 125% income requirement, will do the trick for the I-864.

You'll show past tax return(s), you can order the transcripts for free, should come in the mail within about a week. Although...note that when I ordered mine through the automated phone system, they automatically used the address on my last tax return. Hopefully that will work for you.

Rene
Old Nov 18th 2008, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

thanks everyone! this is great advice all around.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 7:30 am

right, i am using my US job offer letter and paystubs to prove current income.
Instead of using the job offer letter, I'd go ahead and get an actual letter of employment on the company letterhead, which states your position, salary, and if possible, that this is a full time permanent position.

Rene