AOS taking FOREVER!

Old Jul 12th 2012, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

frambuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really nice
Default Re: AOS taking FOREVER!

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
You take it wrong. Where did you get this requirement for a conditional PR to have to live the majority of the year in the USA?

A PR, conditional or not, has to maintain their place of permanent residence that they do not intend to abandon in the USA. That does not necessarily mean that they have to be in the USA for the majority of the year.

Regards, JEff
Sorry JEff, this has been resolved now. The USCIS guidance said 18 months of my 3 years required before I can file for US Citizenship should be spent in the US, minimum. Sorry for confusion.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 1:57 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Point of clarification - that's not "USCIS guidance", it's the law.

In any case, glad the confusion is cleared up.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by frambuesas
The USCIS guidance said 18 months of my 3 years required before I can file for US Citizenship should be spent in the US, minimum. Sorry for confusion.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

frambuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really nice

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Point of clarification - that's not "USCIS guidance", it's the law.

In any case, glad the confusion is cleared up.

Regards, JEff
Well yes, I assume anything posted by the USCIS, unless stated otherwise, has to be followed! I will be very careful. I have no plans to be out of the US for more than 2 weeks at a time anyway, so unless something unforeseen comes up, this shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited by frambuesas; Jul 12th 2012 at 2:44 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

The Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond repute

Lucky. I've been waiting since the end of March, so hopefully not too much longer for me also.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 4:54 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I assume anything posted by the USCIS, unless stated otherwise, has to be followed!
I wouldn't make that assumption. US immigration is notorious for posting information on its web site that does not, in fact, reflect the law... although it sure makes their job easier.

Ian
Old Jul 12th 2012, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Lucky. I've been waiting since the end of March, so hopefully not too much longer for me also.
Fingers crossed. As I said, we filed in December 2011, and did our RFE in March, so there was a bit of a delay. After 90 days after the RFE had been accepted, I was allowed to file a query (by calling the USCIS) because it was outside of the estimated time to get a case result. This is all according to the USCIS agent I spoke to when I called to inquire after my I-131, which was marked as sent but we never received it. When I asked about that, he told me that I could file another query after 90 days since the RFE was marked as received, and to call back then if I wanted to do so. So I did, of course!

I have no idea whether this sped things up at all, but it does mean that you can get a reference number for your query, and they will have an update for you within 15 days - even if it's just to say it's still processing. I found it comforting to have a point of contact!
Old Jul 12th 2012, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I wouldn't make that assumption. US immigration is notorious for posting information on its web site that does not, in fact, reflect the law... although it sure makes their job easier.

Ian
Fair point, but all the online and telephone guidance I have had from them so far has been thorough and effective. Of course I retain a questioning mind, and if something isn't law and it's hindering our immigration journey then I would definitely say something about it, but I have honestly found the whole process - although arduous and stressful at times - pretty good. I imagine I am one of the lucky ones.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

The Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Earl of Drumer has a reputation beyond repute

Fingers crossed. As I said, we filed in December 2011, and did our RFE in March, so there was a bit of a delay. After 90 days after the RFE had been accepted, I was allowed to file a query (by calling the USCIS) because it was outside of the estimated time to get a case result. This is all according to the USCIS agent I spoke to when I called to inquire after my I-131, which was marked as sent but we never received it. When I asked about that, he told me that I could file another query after 90 days since the RFE was marked as received, and to call back then if I wanted to do so. So I did, of course!

I have no idea whether this sped things up at all, but it does mean that you can get a reference number for your query, and they will have an update for you within 15 days - even if it's just to say it's still processing. I found it comforting to have a point of contact!
Good to know. I sent my AOS documents off mid March, received confirmation late March (oddly I never got an initial receipt, but I got a biometrics letter a few days after listing my case number, set for April, and a May letter mentioning California), and since then I'm just a-waiting on Initial Review. Zzz.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Good to know. I sent my AOS documents off mid March, received confirmation late March (oddly I never got an initial receipt, but I got a biometrics letter a few days after listing my case number, set for April, and a May letter mentioning California), and since then I'm just a-waiting on Initial Review. Zzz.
We got the Cali letter too. Worth a call, I think. If it's 90 days or more since your confirmation letter, according to the officer I spoke to, you can file a query about your case. I presume you're all signed up online to receive text and email updates too?
Old Jul 13th 2012, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

Yep, set to receive text and e-mails, although the only one I have so far is the initial text/e-mail stating they originally received my documents, nothing else.

I'm sure there's no problems and Cali are snowed under (as I wrote elsewhere I'm confident I'll get an RFE when they finally get around to it, sadly) but it's still a slow wait. If it really is 90 days or more to ask about it I might do that, then; for some reason I had in my mind it was six months.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

Yep, set to receive text and e-mails, although the only one I have so far is the initial text/e-mail stating they originally received my documents, nothing else.

I'm sure there's no problems and Cali are snowed under (as I wrote elsewhere I'm confident I'll get an RFE when they finally get around to it, sadly) but it's still a slow wait. If it really is 90 days or more to ask about it I might do that, then; for some reason I had in my mind it was six months.
I could well be wrong (I always seem to be!) but that is what the officer on the phone told me, and that was direct from the USCIS. However, this was after an RFE, so that might be why. All the same, it's a 1-800 number, and they can answer questions directly, and put in a query if the time frame is right, so you don't lose much by calling. Even the call queue isn't too long, in my experience (if you call when they open, anyway!).
Old Jul 20th 2012, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

I rang up again. There was actually a premium number but it turns out it's not for my case type, so I've no idea why it was listed on my NOA re: case transfer. Anyway, on the standard (useless) line the lady just read from a script, and said that because my case was in Cali there weren't the same processing times like in local offices, and.... so tough, basically. I'll give it a while more and see what happens, anyhoo. It's not even been half a year yet so I'm not too panicked.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

I rang up again. There was actually a premium number but it turns out it's not for my case type, so I've no idea why it was listed on my NOA re: case transfer. Anyway, on the standard (useless) line the lady just read from a script, and said that because my case was in Cali there weren't the same processing times like in local offices, and.... so tough, basically. I'll give it a while more and see what happens, anyhoo. It's not even been half a year yet so I'm not too panicked.
Okay, fair enough - you're right, it can take a lot longer than that. The 1-800 number I used was just the one on the USCIS website, on the case status page. They were very helpful. Good luck with yours!
Old Jul 21st 2012, 3:02 am
London Canada to Atlanta

country_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond repute

Oh. Dear. God.

Right, I'd better get comfortable then!
And I'm on month 68....
waiting until feb 2013 at the earliest.

I guess what Ian is saying is that there is no guaranteed "timeline"!
Old Jul 21st 2012, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by country_canuck
And I'm on month 68....
waiting until feb 2013 at the earliest.

I guess what Ian is saying is that there is no guaranteed "timeline"!
Good lord! I feel for you - I can't believe it has taken so long. Yes, YMMV indeed. Eesh.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.