AOS taking FOREVER!

Old Jul 2nd 2012, 5:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS taking FOREVER!

Originally Posted by frambuesas
Just had to call the USCIS as it's been over five months since we filed for AOS (Adjustment of Status using I-485 via a K-1 visa) and over three months since we received and fulfilled an RFE.
I did an AOS from a K-1. I didn't have an RFE, but it still took me 33 months. Yes, you read that correctly.

Ian
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

frambuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really nice

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I did an AOS from a K-1. I didn't have an RFE, but it still took me 33 months. Yes, you read that correctly.

Ian
Oh. Dear. God.

Right, I'd better get comfortable then!
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 6:12 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

"original processing center"? Do you mean the National Benefits Center (NBC, aka the MSC) ?

Your RFE came from where, what USCIS facility?

An AOS case going to the CSC can indeed speed up the processing of an AOS case - it generally means that the case appears to be approvable without an interview at your local District or Sub office, or that your local District or Sub office is so backlogged that the interview may be dispensed with anyway.

Regards, JEff

The case was moved from our original processing center to the California Service Center in April to "speed up processing" but we've not heard anything since. It's getting very frustrating! Anyone else's experiences/knowledge would be much appreciated.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 6:14 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry, Ian's case was in the 'good old days'. Good for who being a question with no answer, but certainly not for Ian or his contemporaries.

Regards, JEff

Oh. Dear. God.

Right, I'd better get comfortable then!

Ian
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

frambuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really niceframbuesas is just really nice

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
"original processing center"? Do you mean the National Benefits Center (NBC, aka the MSC) ?

Your RFE came from where, what USCIS facility?

An AOS case going to the CSC can indeed speed up the processing of an AOS case - it generally means that the case appears to be approvable without an interview at your local District or Sub office, or that your local District or Sub office is so backlogged that the interview may be dispensed with anyway.

Regards, JEff
Oh, well that is a comfort! The original petition went to the center in MO, and that's where the RFE came from. Our case has since been moved in California, after the RFE was marked as received and processed.

I thought the 33 months might be an example from a while back, but it's good to know for sure.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 8:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I might not be explaining myself properly. This isn't the whole visa. It's the adjustment of status process. On a K-1 you go through 8 or so months processing in your home country and then get married in the US. I am talking about the paperwork you file after the wedding - to adjust status to a permanent resident.

That part of his process took just over three months. Mine is over six months and counting (I filed for AOS in December). The USCIS advise three to four months on their website and on the telephone customer services line.

Moan, moan, moan

It took us over 18 months and that was after the K-1 to adjust status and that was without a RFE.

You have it good. Sit back, enjoy life and quit worrying.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 8:13 pm

This is a very good sign, then. The NBC does the pre-processing for all AOS cases, then sends them either to the CSC for final processing without interview or to the appropriate District or Sub office for final processing with interview.

Regards, JEff

Oh, well that is a comfort! The original petition went to the center in MO, and that's where the RFE came from. Our case has since been moved in California, after the RFE was marked as received and processed.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Moan, moan, moan

It took us over 18 months and that was after the K-1 to adjust status and that was without a RFE.

You have it good. Sit back, enjoy life and quit worrying.
Not so much moaning, just a little grumbling! No need for the lecture. I am enjoying life; I would just like an update is all. I hope I didn't come across as ungrateful. I am sure you had a tough time with it too, and understand how it feels.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

This is a very good sign, then. The NBC does the pre-processing for all AOS cases, then sends them either to the CSC for final processing without interview or to the appropriate District or Sub office for final processing with interview.

Regards, JEff
Ooh, I didn't know that! Well that is positive. Thanks, Jeff, that's made my day.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 10:10 pm

But I told you as much back in my post #18 of this thread.

Regards, JEff

Ooh, I didn't know that! Well that is positive.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Regards, JEff
Well, perhaps I didn't read it well enough. Goodness me! Sorry for missing that! Thank you for taking the time to write it twice.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Regards, JEff
I think I just read the "interview dispensed with" bit and missed the other. Either way, read it now, and much happier.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 10:45 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Luxury!

I had to walk to school uphill both ways in snow with no shoes and when I got home, my old dad would tell me to stop whinging and get outside and shovel.

Ian
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

Luxury!

I had to walk to school uphill both ways in snow with no shoes and when I got home, my old dad would tell me to stop whinging and get outside and shovel.

Ian
A house? You were lucky to have a house! We had a room.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of

Regards, JEff
Current times are contrary to way it is suppose to work. Most AOS's applications that are processed at the local USCIS with an interview are taking around 90 days from start to finish while the current trend for those that are transferred to the CSC are taking 6-8 months.

There are a few people who filed their AOS from K1 applications in December who are still waiting for them to be adjudicated, while those who filed a concurrent I-130/AOS package in January, February, March or April either already have their GC's in hand or have an interview scheduled.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.