Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS success at Norfolk! :)

AOS success at Norfolk! :)

Old Jun 8th 2004, 1:36 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default AOS success at Norfolk! :)

Well, it's been a few days, but I finally have a chance to post our AOS experience from last Thursday, June 3rd. I'll try to include as much detail as I can remember:

We got to Norfolk right on time, at 1pm. Once inside, someone directed Mark to put our appointment letter in a letter box which had his name and interview time printed on a sheet. About 2 minutes later, a woman came out and called his name.

After reaching Ms Jones' desk, she had us raise our right hands and swear to tell the truth. She asked for our drivers licenses for identity verification, then had Mark sign and fingerprint a form, once on each side. I'm not sure what the form was for, though. She also mentioned that Mark's security checks were all completed, and seemed pleased about that.

Ms Jones was extremely pleasant and friendly, which was so nice. It made the experience much easier, I think. She started flipping through our file (about one inch thick!) and made a comment about the medical exam. Now, for those of you who aren't aware, we sent Norfolk a letter a few months ago requesting clarification over whether Mark needed an updated medical exam or a vaccination supplement for his AOS interview. We got a letter back saying he did not require either. She basically confirmed what the letter said, that it was just a default included on the appointment letter but not actually needed for K1ers like Mark.

At that point, I asked Ms Jones about it, and told her that I'd heard of many other K1ers who are told to get new medical exams done anyway. She said that that shouldn't happen, because it just meant applicants had to waste time and money getting something they really didn't need. She also said that a memo had been sent out advising officers NOT to ask for another medical exam when it wasn't required. Unfortunately I didn't think at the time to ask her whether that memo was USCIS-wide or just at Norfolk. But at the very least, she seemed to feel pretty bad for those people who shell out $200-$400 for a medical exam that's for the most part not needed.

Then she started asking Mark those questions that are obviously a formality but have to be asked, such as, "Have you ever been a prostitute?" and "Have you ever been a member of the Communist party?" I couldn't help but muffle a giggle, which I know is totally immature but I couldn't help it! It was also funny how she started ticking off "No" before Mark even said his answers! And when she read the last one -- "Do you plan on practicing polygamy?" -- I laughed out loud and said, "You'd better not!" to which she also smiled.

Ms Jones asked us how and when we'd met, and Mark began telling her how we'd met online in Feb 2002. She then asked how long it was until we'd met in person, and he explained that due to job constraints we couldn't meet for 7 months, until Sept 2002. She asked how we'd spent that time apart, and I explained that we'd spent every day emailing, phoning and/or chatting online. To my surprise she said something about how that must have helped us really get to know each other well, to which we both agreed. Then we told her that because we felt pretty certain that we would ultimately end up together, we'd researched the K1 option before Mark even came over, which allowed us to file the petition soon after he returned to the UK. I also told her about how Mark got to meet my family while he was here, how we got engaged, and that I travelled to the UK later on to meet his family.

At that point, she asked for our photos. We had 3-5 of us together, with and without relatives, including one from our wedding. She asked if Mark's family had been able to attend, and he said no, but that they came to visit us last fall for a bit. She commented on how pretty some of the scenery was in our photos.

After the photos, she asked for documents showing we share a life together. I'd brought one original and one copy of each item, but she only wanted the copies. We gave her:

- Copy of lease (with Mark listed as co-occupant)
- Copy of joint auto insurance policy
- Copy of joint auto loan
- Copy of both medical insurance cards
- Copy of life insurance benefit (with Mark listed as beneficiary)
- Letter from bank verifying joint checking account
- Copy of recent joint checking account statement
- Copy of recent cleared checks from joint account
- Letter from bank verifying joint credit card account
- Copy of recent phone bill (both names listed)

Also, I had updated the I-864 Affidavit of Support to reflect my 2003 income. I got the new form notarized, and included copies of my 2003 tax transcript and W-2s. Ms Jones handed back to me the tax docs I'd originally included for 2000, as they were now being replaced by 2003.

Ms Jones compiled everything together in our file and complimented us on being so organized. I enthusiastically told her that I had more if she needed it -- copies of letters and cards sent to us by friends and family -- but she said we had "more than enough." Well, better too much than too little, right?

She then took his passport and stamped the I-551 in it -- YAY! She also gave him a confirmation letter that he'd been approved, and that he could travel outside the US with the stamp until he receives his green card, which he should get within 6 months. The letter also explains when we have to apply to have the conditions removed, in Spring 2006.

After a congratulations and a handshake, it was over. We were outside again at 1.35pm -- a whopping 35 minutes!

Sorry so long, but hope some of you found this sort of detail helpful (I know I usually do). We're so happy we don't have to think about anything again until... November, when Mark has to renew his EAD. Well, at least 5 months of normalcy, right?!

~ Jenney
Old Jun 8th 2004, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really nice
Default Re: AOS success at Norfolk! :)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jenney & Mark

Congratulations ... I dont know what I would not give to be where you now are in this visa process !
Old Jun 8th 2004, 2:10 pm

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yaaaayyy, Jenney & Mark!!!!!! Many congrats on your success!!! How was the wedding at the weekend, by the way?

Kate. xxxx
Old Jun 8th 2004, 3:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jenney & Mark
Sorry so long, but hope some of you found this sort of detail helpful (I know I usually do). We're so happy we don't have to think about anything again until... November, when Mark has to renew his EAD. Well, at least 5 months of normalcy, right?!

~ Jenney

Congratulations Jen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT ... Mark does not need to renew his EAD in November. He is a conditional permanent resident and no longer needs an EAD.

May I ask you to post this to http://www.kamya.com/interview/intro.html

Thanks!
Old Jun 8th 2004, 4:26 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

. November, when Mark has to renew his EAD. Well, at least 5 months of normalcy, right?!
In fact they are supposed to take your EAD off you to avoid the possibility of it falling into the wrong hands..
Old Jun 8th 2004, 4:59 pm
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Jenney & Mark

Juliet
Old Jun 8th 2004, 5:23 pm
Petey's Playmate

PEACHSTER is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats!!!

Hubby & I go next month for his & will be so glad when it's over with & they say your approved.
Old Jun 8th 2004, 6:13 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rete
Congratulations Jen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT ... Mark does not need to renew his EAD in November. He is a conditional permanent resident and no longer needs an EAD.

May I ask you to post this to http://www.kamya.com/interview/intro.html

Thanks!
Oh? We had no idea! Well, that's a nice surprise!

I checked the I-551 stamp and you're right -- it says "Authorized to Work" underneath. So I suppose really that means the only other thing we have to hassle with is renewing his drivers license in February. The DMV made the license expiration the same day as his EAD expiration. But that's no biggie.

We'll be sure to submit our experience to Kamya.com -- there are so few postings from Norfolk, so this will hopefully help others out there going through this office.

Thanks for your congratulations, everyone! We're so happy!

~ Jenney

ps. Kate -- we ended up not going to the wedding... Mark was suffering from pretty bad bout of asthma so we decided it was better to just head home. How was the wedding YOU attended?!
Old Jun 8th 2004, 6:23 pm

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

ps. Kate -- we ended up not going to the wedding... Mark was suffering from pretty bad bout of asthma so we decided it was better to just head home. How was the wedding YOU attended?!
Sorry to hear that you missed yours. The one we went to was great. Corey had never flown before, so he spent the entire flight looking out the window like a kid in a sweet shop, it was so cute! The few days we were there was total non-stop chaos, but the wedding was soooooo nice. They had a powerpoint display showing pics of the two of them from when they were nippers to now, and the bride's mum sang. Corey was the best man, and he did a great job. Dunno what he was so worried about!! (Looked pretty lush in his tux, too! ) His grandparents were total sweethearts and didn't let us pay for anything whenever we ate out. We're so worn out, but it was all so worth it!!

Anyway, enough of my hogging your limelight. Thanks for asking!

Kate. xxx
Old Jun 9th 2004, 4:08 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it's been a few days, but I finally have a chance to post our AOS experience from last Thursday, June 3rd. I'll try to include as much detail as I can remember:

We got to Norfolk right on time, at 1pm. Once inside, someone directed Mark to put our appointment letter in a letter box which had his name and interview time printed on a sheet. About 2 minutes later, a woman came out and called his name.

After
I am late sorry!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!
Old Jun 9th 2004, 3:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, Jenney & Mark! And thanks for the details of your interview, it IS helpful

Best Wishes,
Rene