British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   AOS Status Question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/aos-status-question-873571/)

scottyvisa Mar 1st 2016 8:20 pm

AOS Status Question

Hi All,

Apologies if this has been answered before, can't find it in this forum if it has. Just curious if anyone knows how often they update your status on USCIS website. I had my biometrics over five weeks ago, and they told me then that my EAD/AP would come through within a two weeks. I'm still way off the 90 day mark, but my case status is still showing as 'Case Was Received' wasn't sure if it should have been updated since they received my biometrics?

Been approached by a few recruiters so it's a little annoying not knowing when I'll be able to sign a contract, although of course I was fully aware of what I was getting myself in for with the K1 and the waiting period.

Thanks

Dan

Noorah101 Mar 1st 2016 9:28 pm

Re: AOS Status Question

It gets updated sporadically, and even then the information isn't very accurate. Stick to the 60 to 90 day idea to receive your EAD, and be pleasantly surprised if it's any earlier.

Rene

scottyvisa Mar 1st 2016 9:34 pm

Will do. Thanks!

LauraLou07 Mar 1st 2016 9:49 pm

Im in the same boat! On day 61 of filing my AOS and them receiving it and 5 weeks after having my biometrics appointment and my case hasn't updated. Its just a waiting game.. Hang in there and best of luck it arrives soon!

jtlc2345 Mar 2nd 2016 10:46 am

My EAD/AP was approved at around day 75 or so - hopefully not too long more.

Jonathan

ian-mstm Mar 2nd 2016 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by scottyvisa (Post 11883788)
Just curious if anyone knows how often they update your status on USCIS website.

As a matter of curiosity, my status showed "AOS pending" for a very long time. So long, in fact, that I was already a USC before it changed to "AOS approved"! :) The takeaway here, is that the status reports are not very accurate... and never has been!

Ian

scottyvisa Mar 2nd 2016 2:59 pm

That's good to know, I guest I'll consider the status updated when I receive it in the mail :-)

LauraLou07 Mar 4th 2016 3:12 am

Just had an update on my I-485 which said it has been approved and that i will receive an approval notice in the mail! Although this morning when i checked it, the status was "the new card is being processed" then changed later in the afternoon to "its approved, and you will get the approval notice in the mail". So, im not quite sure what is going to come in the mail but it has been approved! I'm right in thinking that if i get the 2 year green card that allows me to work, correct? as my visa has been approved before i have received my work permit (or that it has been approved or the uscis case updated online at least)

ian-mstm Mar 4th 2016 3:22 am

Originally Posted by LauraLou07 (Post 11885921)
I'm right in thinking that if i get the 2 year green card that allows me to work, correct?

Yes, but so does an EAD if you had one.

... as my visa has been approved before i have received my work permit
Your visa became invalid the day you entered the US.

Ian

LauraLou07 Mar 4th 2016 5:02 am

No i didn't have one, i filed the I-485 and along with that i filed the EAD/AP. However the I-485 has changed to "approved" but the EAD/AP hasn't changed so i believe i will just receive my green card instead of the EAD/AP which i why i was wondering if i was correct in thinking that i can work on that without receiving the EAD that i filed with AOS.

Noorah101 Mar 4th 2016 10:19 am

Yes, once you have your green card in hand, you will be authorized to work.

Rene

scottyvisa Apr 18th 2016 8:44 pm

Thought i'd let you all know that I got my EAD last week and today my AOS application changed to "New Card Is Being Produced", so looking forward to receiving my Green Card soon! Thanks again for all your help. Sent my AOS 90 days ago today, and wasn't called in for an interview, happiness all around!

Rete Apr 18th 2016 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 11886059)
Yes, once you have your green card in hand, you will be authorized to work.

Rene

Amazing, isn't it, that so few have actual AOS interviews these days. The green card just magically appears in the mail. The same with removal of conditions. We were too early when we did ours and had to wait over a year for the AOS interview and the ROC interview.

scottyvisa Apr 19th 2016 1:02 pm

Amazing or not, I'm certainly not complaining!

Smartyy Nov 2nd 2016 1:46 am

Originally Posted by scottyvisa (Post 11926238)
Thanks again for all your help. Sent my AOS 90 days ago today, and wasn't called in for an interview, happiness all around!

Congratulations! Never seen one go through that quick so I'm hoping mine does too! :thumbsup: