Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS - (sorry about the rambling)

Wikiposts

AOS - (sorry about the rambling)

Old Jan 9th 2003, 8:20 am
Just Joined

Muki is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AOS - (sorry about the rambling)

My Husband(USC) flew to Scotland for our wedding in Nov 99, he then returned to the US. I applied and got a UK visa for him and he joined me in feb 00 but left after 6 mths as he didn't like living in the UK. We flew back and forth for visits then in Jun 01 I agreed that my boys and I would spend the summer to see what we could agree on about where to live. We entered on a VW. Two of my boys went home but the youngest and I decided to try living here. The VW lasted until end of Sept and early sept I phoned the INS helpline ( OK, I NOW know that is a mistake) to find out what paperwork needed to be done. I was informed on a number of occasions( including getting past the Cust ser rep and talking to an immigration officer) that nothing could be done whilst on a VW ( things apparently would have been different if I had entered on a B1 visitors visa). My husband then stood in line at 3am at the Ins office to speak to someone in person. The officer he spoke to advised the same but also said " I shouldn't say this" but if you let the VW expire and they become illegal, then you can file for AOS and he handed over the appropriate forms. After much debate and tears ( this was also 2 wks after 9/11 and I really did not want to get on a plane) we agreed to stay illegally.
Then my husband procastinated over the paperwork for a year ( a long story I won't bore you with) until I was at my wits end with being non- existant and was going home. He then filed the applic on the 6th Oct 02 through an immigration lawyer.
I received my Ead & fingerprint appts within a month. Both were straightforward and quick. I then applied and received my ssn within 2 weeks.
My dilemma is that my sister is to undergo a major operation on the 2nd mar and I promised to be there. I can't get AP because of the overstay and the average wait for an aos interview in LA is 6 months - taking us to Apr. In a prev post Folinskyla suggested an expedite form but when I phoned our lawyer he said ' We can sometimes speed up interviews but there is no point because of the freeze on stamps". A friend has suggested getting in touch with a congressman - can they help?

thanks for any and all suggestions.
Old Jan 9th 2003, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: AOS - (sorry about the rambling)

Originally posted by Muki
I can't get AP because of the overstay and the average wait for an aos interview in LA is 6 months - taking us to Apr. In a prev post Folinskyla suggested an expedite form but when I phoned our lawyer he said ' We can sometimes speed up interviews but there is no point because of the freeze on stamps". A friend has suggested getting in touch with a congressman - can they help?
Well, I would try to expedite because that would be your only option. The green card freeze is not eternal and I actually think that some people mentioned receiving same-day stamps lately (that was a posting in San Jose, I think, and in Detroit from a couple of days ago). You should probably not expect to get the stamp on the same day, but who knows, you might get lucky and save you a lot of troubles...

Good luck,
Caroline
Old Jan 10th 2003, 2:43 am
Just Joined

Muki is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Caroline, I will give the lawyer another call.
What do you think of contacting a congressman? Do they just check status or can they speed things up?
Old Jan 10th 2003, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Muki
Thanks Caroline, I will give the lawyer another call.
What do you think of contacting a congressman? Do they just check status or can they speed things up?
You can try the congressman. I am not sure that they can do much, but it can not hurt to try...

Good luck,
Caroline