Reload this Page >

aos seattle - cpr stamp/card delay due to ibis check

Wikiposts

aos seattle - cpr stamp/card delay due to ibis check

Old May 17th 2002, 4:20 am
Miss Kate

Default aos seattle - cpr stamp/card delay due to ibis check

hi all from kt in seattle

very successful aos from k1 interview yesterday (may 16th) in seattle at 2.30pm. no
questions, almost a relaxed experience, and paperwork a breeze (thanks to the
knowledge and generosity of this group). we were told that on all counts, but one, i
was successfully approved for a green card.

however.

apparently at 2pm yesterday, an ins ruling came into effect which means that *all*
people applying for cpr status have to pass a full ibis background check before their
application can be approved (i apologize if this is old news, but felt that my
experience might prove useful to some even so).

the examiner said this was a direct result of september 11th, that it would happen to
every single person applying for a green card (in his words: "go figure the
numbers"), and owned voluntarily that it was a policy that had been implemented at
2pm "to look good" and that the systems to deal with the paperwork had not yet been
introduced. the interpol check done as part of my k1 application is apparently not
enough to prove i'm not a terrorist.

he could give no estimation as to the length of time it would take to implement this
kind of checking procedure, nor how caught up in the backlog i would be, though given
that my interview was 30 minutes past the cut off date, hopefully not too caught up.
he could tell me however that the countdown to applying for conditions to be removed
and the countdown to applying for citizenship could only begin once the background
check had been completed and the stamp was actually in my passport. even though
husband and i had passed everything else yesterday, we had to wait for complete
approval - which makes sense.

so this is my experience, and one examiner's way of explaining the process. hopefully
it won't be too long till the appointment letter for the stamp arrives, but in the
meantime i'll fork out more $$ for advance parole so we can go on our delayed
honeymoon this year.

thanks to all again for their continuing help - rete for wry perceptions, alvena for
sharing her knowledge, grinch for chuckles, and andy platt for the amazingly helpful
"how to" advice on those really tricky legal bits. for the record, the examiner
didn't ask for the i-864a 8-). however, nor did he examine the i-864 in great detail.
i'm sure if he'd read the part saying husband was unemployed, he may have questioned
us more intently.

kt.

Old May 17th 2002, 4:20 am
Andy Platt

Default Re: aos seattle - cpr stamp/card delay due to ibis check

"miss kate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > hi all from kt in seattle
    >
    > very successful aos from k1 interview yesterday (may 16th) in seattle at 2.30pm. no
    > questions, almost a relaxed experience, and paperwork a breeze (thanks to the
    > knowledge and generosity of this group). we were told that on all counts, but one,
    > i was successfully approved for a green card.

Just FYI, the policy was older than that, they just reiterated that it *must* be
followed instead of allowing the INS offices that hadn't got the capability to do it
to carry on without it. Anyway, congrats on passing the interview, hopefully it won't
take too long for the IBIS checks.

BTW, they have introduced it as part of the I-129F process, the consulate probably
does it as part of the K-1 process so a K-1er will probably have their name run
through that database many times!

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.