Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS and Required Documentation

AOS and Required Documentation

Old May 11th 2005, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

ControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant future
Default AOS and Required Documentation

I have been gathering all the necessary paperwork for my interview and, as I have been married before, need to submit my divorce papers.
I only have one sheet of paper, which says the marriage has been terminated, both mine and my ex-husband's names and the date, and district that it happened (in the UK).
Is this going to be enough or do they need the whole thing (ie. the reams of paperwork that usually accompany it?)
I was already here, and newly married when I asked my mother to send my divorce papers from the UK, and this is all she sent.
One more thing. I have an 8 yr old son in the UK and his father (my ex-husband) has full custody. Will they need proof that this is the case, and that I'm not intending on bringing him out here as soon as my GC comes through?

CF
Old May 11th 2005, 1:51 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS and Required Documentation

Originally Posted by ControlFreak
I only have one sheet of paper, which says the marriage has been terminated, both mine and my ex-husband's names and the date, and district that it happened (in the UK).
If this is the divorce decree, then one sheet will do it. Ontario also issues a single piece of paper with the decree and that's what I used - quite successfully.

I have an 8 yr old son in the UK and his father (my ex-husband) has full custody. Will they need proof that this is the case, and that I'm not intending on bringing him out here as soon as my GC comes through?
You will be required to put his name on the various forms, because you do need to list children, but unless you actually include him on your visa petition USCIS will not consider him at all.

Ian
Old May 11th 2005, 3:25 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

One more thing. I have an 8 yr old son in the UK and his father (my ex-husband) has full custody. Will they need proof that this is the case, and that I'm not intending on bringing him out here as soon as my GC comes through?
Re. the divorce - mine is just the same format and I've not had a problem, (which is a good thing really or it'd be like trying to get blood from a stone)!

And, as Ian's said, they won't need any proof that you're not the legal custodian of your child.

Good luck with the interview!
Old May 11th 2005, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

ControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant futureControlFreak has a brilliant future

Thanks. One more thing ticked off my worry list!

CF
Old May 11th 2005, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Gigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant future

Just one thing. There is something a little "different" with the UK divorces. Do make sure that it has a court stamp and signature on it before sending.
Old May 11th 2005, 8:10 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. One more thing ticked off my worry list!

CF
Hi,
My experience with UK divorce decrees are that they come in two stages....."Decree Nisi" and "Decree Absolute". Make sure you have the "Decree Absolute" as this is the one that indicates the divorce is FINAL, period. The Nisi simply states that it's been recorded that one of the parties wants the divorce, and in six weeks and one day's time can apply for the Absolute.

We went the K-1 route and so had to submit these docs. with the 129F, but we were asked for them again at the interview.

Hope this helps.
~SecretGarden

Afterthought regarding your son: my husband has two daughters who stayed in the UK with their mother. Before he immigrated, there was a residency order drawn up to indicate they would live with her but visit him at mutually agreed upon times. The DAO in Chicago actually DID ask for "custody" papers for ALL the kids----both his in the UK and mine who live with us here in the US. If you can get a copy of a doc. related to custody of your son, I sure would. But then again, I'm always overly prepared.

Last edited by SecretGarden; May 11th 2005 at 8:13 pm.
Old May 12th 2005, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
Hi,
My experience with UK divorce decrees are that they come in two stages....."Decree Nisi" and "Decree Absolute". Make sure you have the "Decree Absolute" as this is the one that indicates the divorce is FINAL, period. The Nisi simply states that it's been recorded that one of the parties wants the divorce, and in six weeks and one day's time can apply for the Absolute.

We went the K-1 route and so had to submit these docs. with the 129F, but we were asked for them again at the interview.

Hope this helps.
~SecretGarden

Afterthought regarding your son: my husband has two daughters who stayed in the UK with their mother. Before he immigrated, there was a residency order drawn up to indicate they would live with her but visit him at mutually agreed upon times. The DAO in Chicago actually DID ask for "custody" papers for ALL the kids----both his in the UK and mine who live with us here in the US. If you can get a copy of a doc. related to custody of your son, I sure would. But then again, I'm always overly prepared.
Thanks for that. I will look into getting hold of the custody papers.

CF