AOS Questions

Old Feb 10th 2009, 10:22 pm
EJ3
Forum Regular

EJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default AOS Questions

Hi everyone,

I have not put a question to the forum for a couple of months, here is what has been happening!
I came on my K1 visa in December and had a beautiful wedding last month. I am now in the process of Adjusting Status and the BE Wiki has been incredibly helpful, a very useful tool for this process.

I have read the I-131 instructions carefully but still have some questions regarding Advance Parole. From searching and reading previous posts I understand that it is essential I have this document to be re-admitted to the US if I were to leave for any purpose. Also, from submitting my AOS forms it could take up to 90 days for me to receive this. Hopefully this is correct.

At the moment I have no intentions of going to England in the next few months to visit so was wondering if it is even necessary to file for AP. Also, for how long of a period does AP apply? If I wanted to return to the UK for Christmas would I need to apply for AP now and hold onto the document until that time?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 10:33 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS Questions

Congrats on your marriage -- welcome to the next step of the process.

The $1010 fee for AOS covers the I-485 (AOS), the I-765 (EAD), and the I-131 (AP). In other words, you don't have to pay for AP separately (which is how it was just a couple of years ago). Now all of that is all rolled up into one big, fat fee, so you have nothing to lose -- even if you never end up using the AP. The trick is that you have to APPLY for it by submitting the I-131 form with your AOS application; you don't just get it by default when you file for AOS.

That said, you never know what might come up that will require you to need AP. A death or serious illness of a family member comes to mind. Better safe than sorry.

I believe that AP is usually valid for a year, although some people get it approved for more or less time.

~ Jenney
Old Feb 10th 2009, 10:35 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EJ3
Hopefully this is correct.
It is.

... was wondering if it is even necessary to file for AP.
Necessary? No. Advisable? Yes. I can't tell you the number of people who did not get A/P and suddenly found themselves having to go home because a parent suddenly fell ill and was on the brink of death! They had to start again from scratch.

Also, for how long of a period does AP apply?
It is valid for one year. If, for example, you receive it in March, it'll be valid until next March.

Ian
Old Feb 10th 2009, 10:44 pm
EJ3
Forum Regular

EJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond reputeEJ3 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you! I shall be filing for AP on the basis of 'you just never know what might happen!'.

I assume, (if I am approved for this), you can use it for multiple entries, if I were to leave once and later take a holiday?
Old Feb 10th 2009, 10:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EJ3
Thank you! I shall be filing for AP on the basis of 'you just never know what might happen!'.

I assume, (if I am approved for this), you can use it for multiple entries, if I were to leave once and later take a holiday?
There is a box to check on the I-131 if you want a multiple-entry AP. I advise doing that, so you can come and go more than once within the same year.

Rene
Old Feb 10th 2009, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

mojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud ofmojofilter has much to be proud of

Can I just jump on this topic for a second ????

I have a multiple-entry AP and I received my 2 year permanent resident card at the weekend. I'm hoping to get back to the UK in July (I have a Harry Potter Premiere to attend ) and was wondering what I need to take with me .... Do I just need to take the green card ??

Thanks in advance,

Paul
Old Feb 10th 2009, 11:54 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mojofilter
Can I just jump on this topic for a second ????

I have a multiple-entry AP and I received my 2 year permanent resident card at the weekend. I'm hoping to get back to the UK in July (I have a Harry Potter Premiere to attend ) and was wondering what I need to take with me .... Do I just need to take the green card ??

Thanks in advance,

Paul
Hi:

Green card is NOT enough. You also have to take your passport.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 11:56 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EJ3
I have read the I-131 instructions carefully but still have some questions regarding Advance Parole. From searching and reading previous posts I understand that it is essential I have this document to be re-admitted to the US if I were to leave for any purpose.
Hi:

Use of the advance parole means that you will NOT be admitted upon return to the US. This is by definition.

However, the advance parole will prevent abandonment of the adjustment by the mere fact of departure.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 1:15 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mojofilter
I received my 2 year permanent resident card at the weekend.
Congratulations!

Here are some guidelines regarding your rights and responsibilities now that you are a Permanent Resident, including travel.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

Since your card is valid for 2 years, you were married for less than 2 years at your adjustment. You will have one more step to complete in 1 year, 9 months +/-. Keep saving paper!

Removing Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage
Old Feb 17th 2009, 6:57 pm
EJ3
Forum Regular

Hi again,

I have a couple of questions to ask:
On the I-485 'Current USCIS Status'- what should I enter here?
Also, 'In what status did you last enter'- Is it correct to write that I entered on a K1 visa?
I also cannot trace my Nonimmigrant Visa number, could someone advise me on where to find this?

Thank you
Old Feb 17th 2009, 7:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EJ3
On the I-485 'Current USCIS Status'- what should I enter here?
Pending AOS.

Also, 'In what status did you last enter'- Is it correct to write that I entered on a K1 visa?
Yes.

I also cannot trace my Nonimmigrant Visa number, could someone advise me on where to find this?
Look at your K-1 visa. You can use either the black number or the red number (one of them says "control number"). Either one of those numbers is fine.

Rene
Old Feb 17th 2009, 7:19 pm
EJ3
Forum Regular

Thank you very much Rene, I thought the Nonimmigrant number might be the 'control number'.
Applying for AP (I-131), I have no plans to travel yet so for my expected date of intended departure I have written 'not known yet' even though it asks for 'mm/dd/yyyy'.
Will this be acceptable?
Old Feb 17th 2009, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by EJ3
Thank you very much Rene, I thought the Nonimmigrant number might be the 'control number'.
Applying for AP (I-131), I have no plans to travel yet so for my expected date of intended departure I have written 'not known yet' even though it asks for 'mm/dd/yyyy'.
Will this be acceptable?
You might want to go ahead and put a random date in there (within 1 year's time). You do not have to stick to the date you put on the AP.

Rene
Old Feb 17th 2009, 7:47 pm
EJ3
Forum Regular

I put a date for late June, 2 weeks for the length of proposed trip. Thank you for your help.