Wikiposts

AOS Questions

Old Jul 13th 2004, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

ralgex is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AOS Questions

Hi - i just got married and am in the process of filling out the AOS paperwork.

Fisrt of all, can i send off the pink receipt copy of my marriage license to prove marriage or do i have to wait to receive the original back ?

Secondly, I am a little confused about my social security number - i already have one through working a J1 visa programme - i know it is only valid for work with INS authorisation but should i be contacting social security to alert them i am using it, i guerss i will have to contact them to inform of a name change?

Hope some one can halp answer,

Thank you
Old Jul 13th 2004, 11:10 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS Questions

Originally posted by ralgex

Fisrt of all, can i send off the pink receipt copy of my marriage license to prove marriage or do i have to wait to receive the original back ?

Secondly, I am a little confused about my social security number - i already have one through working a J1 visa programme - i know it is only valid for work with INS authorisation but should i be contacting social security to alert them i am using it, i guerss i will have to contact them to inform of a name change?

Thank you
Hi,

You will need to send a certified copy (or a photocopy of the certified copy...that's what I did). Not the pink receipt of the license. We had to wait a few days for that to come via regular mail before we could file the I-485.

Your SSN will stay the same, and my guess is no need to alert anyone you are using it. It's yours to use with proper work authorization from USCIS. But if you want a new one issued with your new name, yes...you must apply to have it changed.

Hope that helps!
Rene
Old Jul 13th 2004, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

AnnaV is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you
Hi,

I also had a SSN because I was here as a J1. After getting married (finished 2 year HRR and all), we applied for AOS. I went to the SSA after getting my EAD to get my SSN changed to my married name. I wasn't in the system that is linked to the USCIS (could be different if you came in as a K1 or K3 - they might have you in the system already). They had to send in a request (?) to the USCIS to confirm my immigration status. In any case, it took 2 or 3 weeks before I got the actual card in the mail.

With respect to working, you'll need an EAD. That's your authorization to work. You don't even have to have your SSN name changed at all (at least I don't think so).
Old Jul 15th 2004, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by AnnaV
Hi,

I also had a SSN because I was here as a J1. After getting married (finished 2 year HRR and all), we applied for AOS. I went to the SSA after getting my EAD to get my SSN changed to my married name. I wasn't in the system that is linked to the USCIS (could be different if you came in as a K1 or K3 - they might have you in the system already). They had to send in a request (?) to the USCIS to confirm my immigration status. In any case, it took 2 or 3 weeks before I got the actual card in the mail.

With respect to working, you'll need an EAD. That's your authorization to work. You don't even have to have your SSN name changed at all (at least I don't think so).

Thanks for that. Where did you get married? My programme wasn't subject to the 2 yr stay at home rule. I think i will contact social security to try and find out the deal. Did you end up gettng a new SSN from the one you had as a j1?
Old Jul 15th 2004, 3:44 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. Where did you get married? My programme wasn't subject to the 2 yr stay at home rule. I think i will contact social security to try and find out the deal. Did you end up gettng a new SSN from the one you had as a j1?
One social security number for life. Why do you want to contact SSA? There is no deal. You have been issued a SSN in connection with a previous visa to the US. That SSN is valid.

Your J visa and whether it has a 2 year HR means nothing to the social security office.

Rete
Old Jul 15th 2004, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

Just to reiterate what Rete said: No, I did not get a new number. I could have just kept the SSN in my old name if I wanted to, but I did want to change it to my married name that's why I even bothered to go to the SSA.

If you have your marriage certificate, you can try to get your name changed on the SS card, but I think they do check out your immigration status now. I waited until I received my EAD (you can probably just go after you get your receipt for filing AOS, but I'm not sure) before I went to the SSA, and even then, they had to send a request to the USCIS for my immigration status. (And to repeat what I said earlier) It took about 2 or 3 weeks before I received the new card, with my married name, but the same number.
Old Jul 15th 2004, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

Just to reiterate what Rete said: No, I did not get a new number. I could have just kept the SSN in my old name if I wanted to, but I did want to change it to my married name that's why I even bothered to go to the SSA.

If you have your marriage certificate, you can try to get your name changed on the SS card, but I think they do check out your immigration status now. I waited until I received my EAD (you can probably just go after you get your receipt for filing AOS, but I'm not sure) before I went to the SSA, and even then, they had to send a request to the USCIS for my immigration status. (And to repeat what I said earlier) It took about 2 or 3 weeks before I received the new card, with my married name, but the same number.

Thank you. It's all slowly sinking again....but very slowly!
Old Jul 15th 2004, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Thank you. It's all slowly sinking again....but very slowly!
That's all right. With all the loops we have to jump through, it takes some diligence to understand everything. When we were filing for AOS, I had to read the instructions several times to make sure I understood everything (we did not have a lawyer). My husband, who is a lawyer, was not much help. He read through it once and was already pretty sure we were okay. He left the nerve-jittering details (photos, supporting documents, etc) to me. Men. Hmmph.

Old Jul 15th 2004, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

That's all right. With all the loops we have to jump through, it takes some diligence to understand everything. When we were filing for AOS, I had to read the instructions several times to make sure I understood everything (we did not have a lawyer). My husband, who is a lawyer, was not much help. He read through it once and was already pretty sure we were okay. He left the nerve-jittering details (photos, supporting documents, etc) to me. Men. Hmmph.

Yes i know what you mean - same here.

I just read something that makes me a little nervous...may be you could advise.

I married on june 26th and the marriage cert was sent in to the clerks office immediately by our officiant. However, having just found out that it takes 6-8 wks to receive the certificate back in the mail i am a little worried. My 90days is up within a week and although i thought you had to be MARRIED within 90days, i have just read that you have to file to AOS paper work within 90 days, which i cant do for another 3 - 5 wks while awaiting my certificate. Damn! I will call tomorrow to see if it is possible to speed up the cert but i doubt it. I thought i was past the feeling of insecurity regarding the INS. Obviously not.
Old Jul 15th 2004, 10:45 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes i know what you mean - same here.

I just read something that makes me a little nervous...may be you could advise.

I married on june 26th and the marriage cert was sent in to the clerks office immediately by our officiant. However, having just found out that it takes 6-8 wks to receive the certificate back in the mail i am a little worried. My 90days is up within a week and although i thought you had to be MARRIED within 90days, i have just read that you have to file to AOS paper work within 90 days, which i cant do for another 3 - 5 wks while awaiting my certificate. Damn! I will call tomorrow to see if it is possible to speed up the cert but i doubt it. I thought i was past the feeling of insecurity regarding the INS. Obviously not.
Hi ralgex,

When we filled out and paid for our marriage license, they had an option to pay extra for expedited service for the return of the certified copy of marrige certificate, which of course we took. It only took about a week or so to get it back in the mail. Sorry to hear yours will be taking longer.

The good news is that it isn't really crucial to file AOS within the 90 days. I know people that have waited longer than the 90 days with no problems. The only thing is that everything gets pushed back so you have to wait even longer...but it won't harm you to file after 90 days. You should be fine.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jul 15th 2004, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Noorah101
Hi ralgex,

When we filled out and paid for our marriage license, they had an option to pay extra for expedited service for the return of the certified copy of marrige certificate, which of course we took. It only took about a week or so to get it back in the mail. Sorry to hear yours will be taking longer.

The good news is that it isn't really crucial to file AOS within the 90 days. I know people that have waited longer than the 90 days with no problems. The only thing is that everything gets pushed back so you have to wait even longer...but it won't harm you to file after 90 days. You should be fine.

Best Wishes,
Rene

Thank Rene,

Thats what i wanted to hear! I will of course try to speed up the license but at least it should be ok if i have to wait. The sinking feeling i got today reminded me of how i used to feel a lot of the time whilst applying for the k1. Not good.

Thanks again!