British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   AOS Question re: USC's tax returns (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/aos-question-re-uscs-tax-returns-251166/)

katie4998 Aug 26th 2004 7:11 pm

AOS Question re: USC's tax returns

When it comes to my husband's (USC) 3 years worth of tax returns...I just wanted to make sure that it IS the actual 1040 forms that we need to submit, as this has all the income information on it.

Is this correct? Thanks so much for your help!! :)

~Katie

Bluegrass Lass Aug 26th 2004 7:44 pm

Re: AOS Question re: USC's tax returns

Originally Posted by katie4998
When it comes to my husband's (USC) 3 years worth of tax returns...I just wanted to make sure that it IS the actual 1040 forms that we need to submit, as this has all the income information on it.

~Katie

Well, I'd only submit copies with the AOS application, and if they want originals you can bring them to the interview.

However, I sent copies of my IRS tax transcripts which I ordered for free from the IRS. These are just simplified versions of the 1040s, and come in the mail in about 10-15 days (maybe quicker). I preferred this instead of worrying about sending originals of 1040s or not. Also, since we filed electronically, there really isn't a signed 1040 to provide, so felt better about sending a tax transcript instead.

katie4998 Aug 26th 2004 7:49 pm

Hey Jamie!

Yeah, I should have mentioned that I meant we'd be sending photocopies.

Hold on a sec, though....you said you filed electronically??!! Was that for everything (AOS, EAD, AP)?? Or just for AOS? Either way, it would be a whole bunch easier to file electronically! How did you go about doing it that way?

Thanks for your help!
Katie

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Well, I'd only submit copies with the AOS application, and if they want originals you can bring them to the interview.

However, I sent copies of my IRS tax transcripts which I ordered for free from the IRS. These are just simplified versions of the 1040s, and come in the mail in about 10-15 days (maybe quicker). I preferred this instead of worrying about sending originals of 1040s or not. Also, since we filed electronically, there really isn't a signed 1040 to provide, so felt better about sending a tax transcript instead.

Just Jenney Aug 26th 2004 7:49 pm

~Katie

Although it may depend on what USCIS you use, you should be able to use tax transcripts with W-2s if you prefer, which don't cost anything to obtain from the IRS.

Exact copies of the actual tax returns cost $39 each, but contain pretty much the same info as the tax transcript.

Go here for more info: http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq1-6.html

We used tax transcripts and W-2s for our AOS application, and had no problems.

~ Jenney

Chessiet Aug 26th 2004 7:54 pm

Hey Jamie!

Yeah, I should have mentioned that I meant we'd be sending photocopies.

Hold on a sec, though....you said you filed electronically??!! Was that for everything (AOS, EAD, AP)?? Or just for AOS? Either way, it would be a whole bunch easier to file electronically! How did you go about doing it that way?

Thanks for your help!
Katie

I believe she meant she filed her TAXES electronically :)

katie4998 Aug 26th 2004 7:54 pm

Hi Jenney,

Thanks for the info...just to confirm, though - we *can* submit photocopies of the actual 1040s for the 3 most recent years, right? We don't *have* to get the tax transcripts from the IRS, do we?

Thx,
Katie

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Although it may depend on what USCIS you use, you should be able to use tax transcripts with W-2s if you prefer, which don't cost anything to obtain from the IRS.

Exact copies of the actual tax returns cost $39 each, but contain pretty much the same info as the tax transcript.

Go here for more info: http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq1-6.html

We used tax transcripts and W-2s for our AOS application, and had no problems.

~ Jenney

katie4998 Aug 26th 2004 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Chessiet
I believe she meant she filed her TAXES electronically :)

Oh....hehehe...oops...I was all excited for a minute, there, too!

Duh...

Thanks, Chessie!! :)

Chessiet Aug 26th 2004 7:57 pm

Hi Jenney,

Thanks for the info...just to confirm, though - we *can* submit photocopies of the actual 1040s for the 3 most recent years, right? We don't *have* to get the tax transcripts from the IRS, do we?

Thx,
Katie

I just submitted 2 years of photocopied 1040s and one tax transcript for the 3rd year (I seemed to have mis-placed that year's tax return). The Immigration officer reviewing it all didn't bat an eye, so I assume either or both are acceptable.

Noorah101 Aug 26th 2004 7:59 pm

Hi Jenney,

Thx,
Katie

Hi Katie,

I used photocopies of the 1040's, plus the W-2's for my I-864 and so far all is well.

Best Wishes,
Rene

katie4998 Aug 26th 2004 8:05 pm

Hi Rene & Chessie...

I think what we'll do is submit the 1040's for the 3 years, and then if they want any more info, we can always get the transcripts from the IRS if needed.

Rene, I thought the W-2's were for jointly filed taxes, and thereofre we wouldn't need to send them...?

TIA,
Katie

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Katie,

I used photocopies of the 1040's, plus the W-2's for my I-864 and so far all is well.

Best Wishes,
Rene

Noorah101 Aug 26th 2004 8:06 pm

Hi Rene & Chessie...

I think what we'll do is submit the 1040's for the 3 years, and then if they want any more info, we can always get the transcripts from the IRS if needed.

Rene, I thought the W-2's were for jointly filed taxes, and thereofre we wouldn't need to send them...?

TIA,
Katie

Katie,

I don't know...I included my W-2's along with the I-134, also. I guess I didn't need to, eh? Oh well...I just that's all part of my tax return so I sent them along. LOL

Rene

katie4998 Aug 26th 2004 8:09 pm

lol...Better safe than sorry, right? :D

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Katie,

I don't know...I included my W-2's along with the I-134, also. I guess I didn't need to, eh? Oh well...I just that's all part of my tax return so I sent them along. LOL

Rene

Chessiet Aug 26th 2004 8:15 pm

lol...Better safe than sorry, right? :D

I didn't submit W-2s, but I'm divorced from my first husband. All I gave them was two years of photocopied 1040s, a tax transcript from the IRS for the 3rd year, photocopies of my paystubs for this calendar year, and that's it as far as my income statements. They didn't seem to want anything else (and I didn't mail anything, since we live in Dallas, it was a face-to-face applications review/interview combined).

But better safe than sorry I'll agree with :)

katie4998 Aug 26th 2004 8:25 pm

Thanks guys, you're awesome!!

I have one more question...my husband sent me a letter from his employer in May, for my K1 interview at the consulate. The consulate kept the letter, and put it into my brown envelope, along with everything else. I gave the brown envelope to the Customs Officer at the border crossing, and she told me the entire file would be sent to our district sub-office. The problem is, I notice that most people have submitted letters from their USC spouse's employers with the I-864. I was under the impression that we could just submit the most recent paystub, since they (the district office) will already have the letter of employment in the file. Am I correct? Or does my husband have to get another letter of employment?

Thx....again...!
Katie

Noorah101 Aug 26th 2004 8:31 pm

Thanks guys, you're awesome!!

I have one more question...my husband sent me a letter from his employer in May, for my K1 interview at the consulate. The consulate kept the letter, and put it into my brown envelope, along with everything else. I gave the brown envelope to the Customs Officer at the border crossing, and she told me the entire file would be sent to our district sub-office. The problem is, I notice that most people have submitted letters from their USC spouse's employers with the I-864. I was under the impression that we could just submit the most recent paystub, since they (the district office) will already have the letter of employment in the file. Am I correct? Or does my husband have to get another letter of employment?

Thx....again...!
Katie

Katie,

Again, I don't know whether it was required/necessary or not, but I indeed got a new, updated employment letter to include with the I-864. I had gotten a small (very small! lol) raise, but otherwise the information was the same. I mainly wanted the date on the letter to be close to the date we filed AOS paperwork.

I also imagine I'll be getting one more down the road, if we have to do an updated I-864 by the time our interview time comes around, as it won't be until summer of 2006 or so.

Hope that helps!
Rene