Reload this Page >

AOS question about my visa number

Wikiposts

AOS question about my visa number

Old Jun 16th 2002, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

RickQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AOS question about my visa number

I am currently filing the paperwork for my AOS (will hopefully be going down to the INS office in Detroit on Mon or Tues--they allow in-person filing) and I am trying to find my visa number on the visa itself. There are several numbers on there, but I don't know which one is the one they want. Does anyone know? Is it the control number? Or is the number in red? Or some other $^&#% number?

Also, the forms ask for my current INS status, does anyone have any idea what to put there? We are legally married now, but I guess as far as the INS is aware, I am still here on the visa.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Rick

PS, what is with all the questions on the forms, do they think someone is going to admit they are coming into the country to overthrow the government or trafick drugs?
Old Jun 16th 2002, 6:24 pm
Bill Larson

Default Re: AOS question about my visa number

If you look on the internet at http://k1.exit.com/k1docs.html You will find a sample
K-1 visa showing where all of the numbers are that you are looking for. I hope this
helps you. Bill

"RickQ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I am currently filing the paperwork for my AOS (will hopefully be going down to the
    > INS office in Detroit on Mon or Tues--they allow in-person filing) and I am trying
    > to find my visa number on the visa itself. There are several numbers on there, but
    > I don't know which one is the one they want. Does anyone know? Is it the control
    > number? Or is the number in red? Or some other $^&#% number?
    >
    > Also, the forms ask for my current INS status, does anyone have any idea what to
    > put there? We are legally married now, but I guess as far as the INS is aware, I am
    > still here on the visa.
    >
    > Any help would be much appreciated.
    >
    > Rick
    >
    > PS, what is with all the questions on the forms, do they think someone is going to
    > admit they are coming into the country to overthrow the government or trafick
    > drugs?
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jun 16th 2002, 10:20 pm
Des

Rick,

1. what visa did you enter on? A visa waiver, a tourist visa, a business visa, a
student visa, or a fiance visa (K-1), or some other type of visa?

2. What is the expiry date of this visa that you were on?

3. As for the visa number, I don't really know because I don't know which visa you
are on but you generally have at least two numbers, one of which is the visa
number, one of which is identical to your passport number... so you can at least
eliminate the one identical to your passport. Hope that helps.

- Des

Old Jun 17th 2002, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

RickQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Bill, thanks for the info, I thought it might be that number, but was not sure.

Des, I entered on a fiance visa, but we were married just over a week ago. The expiry date on my visa is August 5th.

Rick
Old Jun 17th 2002, 5:20 am
Jeffrey Scharpf

I agree with you Rick, they really don't explain things very well. Until I read one
of the help sites, I had no idea which number was the actual Visa number..

"RickQ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I am currently filing the paperwork for my AOS (will hopefully be going down to the
    > INS office in Detroit on Mon or Tues--they allow in-person filing) and I am trying
    > to find my visa number on the visa itself. There are several numbers on there, but
    > I don't know which one is the one they want. Does anyone know? Is it the control
    > number? Or is the number in red? Or some other $^&#% number?
    >
    > Also, the forms ask for my current INS status, does anyone have any idea what to
    > put there? We are legally married now, but I guess as far as the INS is aware, I am
    > still here on the visa.
    >
    > Any help would be much appreciated.
    >
    > Rick
    >
    > PS, what is with all the questions on the forms, do they think someone is going to
    > admit they are coming into the country to overthrow the government or trafick
    > drugs?
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com