Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS mostly approved in LA

Wikiposts

AOS mostly approved in LA

Old Jul 21st 2005, 7:31 am
Beans on Toast? Ugghh...

CharlieX has a spectacular aura aboutCharlieX has a spectacular aura aboutCharlieX has a spectacular aura about
Smile AOS mostly approved in LA

8:20 am appointment, we showed up at 7:45. Already 85 degress and muggy. Not many people in the room - we maybe waited 20 minutes before being called. Pleasant enough officer - somehwhat formal and 'down to business.' Took all our of shared life bills, insurance cards etc.... As we only got EAD 2 weeks ago, I'm still the only one on the bills and the cell phone bill. She also took all the copies of paystubs and my employer's letter. She went over all the information on our application and made sure it was all correct, asked us where and how we met, and then asked me what my wife's voicemail message on her cell phone was. I told her approximately, and then she called it up to check how close I was (i was dead on).

We didn't have the CERTIFIED copy of our marriage certificate (from Nevada). Our lawyer thought the one we had would be sufficient, especially as we were married by the Justice of the Peace. We have 12 weeks to get it (no problem)....

Regardless, Security check is PENDING. She mentioned some of her clients have been waiting over a year now.... She gave us a form which will allow us to visit her office in the future and drop off both the certificate and she will re-run our security check. Othwerise WE'RE APPROVED...

But then, as some of you may remember, we're supposed to fly to the UK next Thursday for a wedding. We haven't recieved her AP (filed March 28th). So the immigration officer told us to go down to the 5rd floor and see what they could do. She also advised us to take the forms she had just given us and tell the AP folks that Security Check was all that was holding us up.

The AP has recently moved to a smaller office on the 8th floor (8559).... combine with Student Visas. The security guards in LA are actually pretty nice and helpful - so a few mistaken corridors and doors we found the right office. They like to joke around which took some of the tension off.

Come to find out, they had lost our application. LUCKILY we had filed 3 days before April 1, when all AP switch to Chicago -->> There were 2 sets of couples who came in behind us who were filed in Chicago and they kept getting "out of our jurisdiction." How horrible for them - both needed to travel for terminal sickness back home.

So they asked us for proof of AP filing. My wife was VERY prepared and had the original recepit of our check that was cashed for AP, plus the cancelled check from the bank, plus copies of the original AP application our lawyer filed. The woman seemed very impressed and relieved that we had everything (less work for her to do). After waiting in this office for maybe 1.5 hours, and running downstairs to get an extra set of passport style photos, she rebuilt our application for us and put a rush on it. She wants us to come back Tuesday and, fingers crossed, we should get our AP papers.

There were also some couples who came in after us who were very rude and aggressive - they got a lot of beaurocratic talk back. I think our cordial manner really made a difference - the lady who helped us was an angel.

So out of danger, but not quite out of the woods.

What we learned. Be extra organized and have copies of EVERYTHING. Go out of your way to be extra cooperative and friendly with the people you deal with. That really can't be an exiciting job - and I bet they deal with jerks on a constant basis.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 9:30 am
Expat Aussie

Location: Gainesville, VA, USA / Alice Springs, NT, Australia
AussieSteve has a brilliant futureAussieSteve has a brilliant futureAussieSteve has a brilliant futureAussieSteve has a brilliant futureAussieSteve has a brilliant futureAussieSteve has a brilliant future
Default Re: AOS mostly approved in LA

Originally Posted by CharlieX
Regardless, Security check is PENDING. She mentioned some of her clients have been waiting over a year now.... She gave us a form which will allow us to visit her office in the future and drop off both the certificate and she will re-run our security check. Othwerise WE'RE APPROVED...
Congrats Charlie, almost there!
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 2:09 am
Martijn Vels

Default Re: AOS mostly approved in LA

> What we learned. Be extra organized and have copies of EVERYTHING. Go
    > out of your way to be extra cooperative and friendly with the people you
    > deal with. That really can't be an exiciting job - and I bet they deal
    > with jerks on a constant basis.
Very solid advice. thow thumbs up.