Wikiposts

AOS Medical required?

Old Oct 18th 2001, 8:05 pm
Peter Dougherty

Hi folks,

After filing for AOS with the New York City office on December 15th of last year, I
was notified last week of my fingerprinting and AOS interview (Oct. 26th for the
prints and November 1st for the AOS). About 11 months. Not bad, considering the
30-month wait I was told to expect!

In the AOS package I received the included an I-693 Medical Examination form which
seems to specifically refer to Adjustment of Status on its instruction page. Having
entered on a K1 from Canada last fall, I had a Medical exam performed before the K1
was issued (in April of 2000). Is this sufficient, or do I need to have another
medical done before the AOS interview? I'm confused, because item 10 on the AOS
checklist says "only needed if an I-693 and Supplement "A" Immunization Record were
not previously submitted." Was that K1 medical an I-693 or was that something else?

If I do have to undergo another medical exam, what are the typical costs associated
by NYC-area physicians?

Thanks in advance.

>
    >
    >

NOTE: If e-mailing, please reply only to pjd at panix dot com.

Old Oct 18th 2001, 9:50 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on the speediest AOS interview scheduling from NYC that I've heard of in my 4 years of dealing with NYC INS.

No you will not require the medical and/or the vaccination supplement as you are within the 15 months of validity of the K-1 medical.

However, I have to tell you not to expect to get the I-551 stamp in your passport. Unless things have changed drastically, your results from the fingerprinting will not be in at the time of your interview. You will still have the interview and your pass/fail will then only hinge on outcome of the report from the FBI/CIA.

Rita
Old Oct 18th 2001, 10:18 pm
Alvena Ferreira

Peter Dougherty wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

You should not have to have another medical exam in K-1 status, you should be ok with
the one that was done...and it was on a form I-693.

Alvena
-----------------------
Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
=========================================
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
posted for the purpose of discussion only. Locate an immigration attorney in your
area at: http://www.aila.org
=========================================

Old May 18th 2003, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

tcylinder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default where does it state that you don't have to do this?

Originally posted by Rete
Congratulations on the speediest AOS interview scheduling from NYC that I've heard of in my 4 years of dealing with NYC INS.

No you will not require the medical and/or the vaccination supplement as you are within the 15 months of validity of the K-1 medical.

However, I have to tell you not to expect to get the I-551 stamp in your passport. Unless things have changed drastically, your results from the fingerprinting will not be in at the time of your interview. You will still have the interview and your pass/fail will then only hinge on outcome of the report from the FBI/CIA.

Rita
We've just about finished our forms to submit to NYC but I'm not sure if we need a medical or not. one form says no if we've had the medical within a year and another says we need to. can't find definitive answers on the NG and can't call NYC office.

thanks
Old Nov 10th 2003, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

PGMAGNA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: where does it state that you don't have to do this?

Originally posted by tcylinder
We've just about finished our forms to submit to NYC but I'm not sure if we need a medical or not. one form says no if we've had the medical within a year and another says we need to. can't find definitive answers on the NG and can't call NYC office.

thanks
I contacted one of the doctors on the list regarding scheduling the examination . I was told in NYC you don't need to get the exam until 1-2 months before your interview becuase the exam is good only for a year. I also called the bcis 1-800 # and they told me the same thing. But the i-485 package i received from ins included the i-693. The instructions mention that, "If you did not receive a form i-693 in this packet, your address indicates a location where it is not required with initial submission of i-485". (FC-485 er dated 3/04/03). Now on i-485 notice with 26 federal plaza adress located in top right states, "you must present, with your i-485, the i-693 completed by a designated civil surgeon. (er-737 nyc dated 02/99)

So which is it?
Old Nov 11th 2003, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

tcylinder is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by PGMAGNA
I contacted one of the doctors on the list regarding scheduling the examination . I was told in NYC you don't need to get the exam until 1-2 months before your interview becuase the exam is good only for a year. I also called the bcis 1-800 # and they told me the same thing. But the i-485 package i received from ins included the i-693. The instructions mention that, "If you did not receive a form i-693 in this packet, your address indicates a location where it is not required with initial submission of i-485". (FC-485 er dated 3/04/03). Now on i-485 notice with 26 federal plaza adress located in top right states, "you must present, with your i-485, the i-693 completed by a designated civil surgeon. (er-737 nyc dated 02/99)

So which is it?
i believe we ignored the medical form but sent copies of immunization and any other general medical forms we had just for insurance and it was fine. this was a few months ago.
Old Nov 11th 2003, 3:21 am
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

I got the I-693 in my I-485 package but ignored it because I understood that it wouldn't be needed since I just had a medical for my K1 interview. Instead I just sent them a copy of my vaccination medical booklet. I think I'm still a little confused about this part though. Will I get a RFE because I didn't send the I-693 along, or will I get denied at the AOS interview because I'm missing this?

AOS people...please tell us what you did??