Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS medical. Is this ok to do it like this???

Wikiposts

AOS medical. Is this ok to do it like this???

Old Jul 1st 2007, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

hazeleyes has much to be proud ofhazeleyes has much to be proud ofhazeleyes has much to be proud ofhazeleyes has much to be proud ofhazeleyes has much to be proud ofhazeleyes has much to be proud ofhazeleyes has much to be proud ofhazeleyes has much to be proud ofhazeleyes has much to be proud ofhazeleyes has much to be proud ofhazeleyes has much to be proud of
Default AOS medical. Is this ok to do it like this???

I have been looking into getting my medical done. The nearest designated civil surgeon (on the USCIS list) is only about 20 mins from me in South Bend IN. The rest are about 2 1/2 hours drive away.

I was told that I have to go have my HIV/syphilis/ TB skin test done at the local County Health Center, once I have these results I can then make an appointment to have the rest of the physical done at the civil surgeons office. She said if the skin reaction was larger than 5 mm then I would need to have a chest X RAY and would probably go somewhere else to do this . I've had the BCG in the UK, when I was 13 so I expect a positive reaction. Are both the skin test and X RAY required now anyway?

I'm concerned as I thought the exam took place altogether ie blood tests etc but she said this is how they do it. The blood tests are free at the health dept apart from the TB skin test which is $10, the physical I was told was $ 50. I already have a letter re my vaccinations as I had them all done back in 2004 when I first came on a K1 so that shouldn't be a problem..

I'm not worried about running around ,I have the time (not allowed to work yet) but don't have hardly any money so in that respect it would be a good option for me. What I am worried about is whether the medical exam will be accepted by USCIS since the Civil Surgeion won't be doing all the tests just reading the results. Has anyone had any experience doing it like this? Would you suggest I look elsewhere?

I don't want to mess anything up . It has already taken nearly two years for my I360 to be approved and to be allowed to AOS.

Can anyone give any insight ?

Thanks

H.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS medical. Is this ok to do it like this???

Originally Posted by hazeleyes
I have been looking into getting my medical done. The nearest designated civil surgeon (on the USCIS list) is only about 20 mins from me in South Bend IN. The rest are about 2 1/2 hours drive away.

I was told that I have to go have my HIV/syphilis/ TB skin test done at the local County Health Center, once I have these results I can then make an appointment to have the rest of the physical done at the civil surgeons office. She said if the skin reaction was larger than 5 mm then I would need to have a chest X RAY and would probably go somewhere else to do this . I've had the BCG in the UK, when I was 13 so I expect a positive reaction. Are both the skin test and X RAY required now anyway?

I'm concerned as I thought the exam took place altogether ie blood tests etc but she said this is how they do it. The blood tests are free at the health dept apart from the TB skin test which is $10, the physical I was told was $ 50. I already have a letter re my vaccinations as I had them all done back in 2004 when I first came on a K1 so that shouldn't be a problem..

I'm not worried about running around ,I have the time (not allowed to work yet) but don't have hardly any money so in that respect it would be a good option for me. What I am worried about is whether the medical exam will be accepted by USCIS since the Civil Surgeion won't be doing all the tests just reading the results. Has anyone had any experience doing it like this? Would you suggest I look elsewhere?

I don't want to mess anything up . It has already taken nearly two years for my I360 to be approved and to be allowed to AOS.

Can anyone give any insight ?

Thanks

H.
if u had the BCG then the skin test is going to get a positive reading. You can when u have ur medical tell them that u need a chest xray because the skin test is going to be positive. If u can get a physical for $50 from one of the approved USCIS docs then good on u.. I aint seen it cheaper than $150 anywhere near here ... great little money maker for the docs that are registered. The tb test is part of the physical i have never heard of someone having to pay extra for it.
the kids had to have a blood test done at their docs to see if they were vaccinated against chicken pox... the uscis doc accepted it.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

fubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant futurefubar has a brilliant future

Hey Hazeleyes,

I just had my medical done for the green card and paid $180 plus $80 per shot required. Sounds like you had a bargain in regards to this and from my understanding, they accept proof if you have it of previous shots. I had a medical card from my mum stating when shots were given and they accepted that. Somebody on here mentioned to download the forms required and get your local doc or shot store to get upto date prior to going to the medical to save cash. My skin test proved positive and I just told him I was not going on antibiotics if the chest xray was clear.....all done and he gave me my package. Make sure you mention you will test positive prior to the medical and that you will take your business elsewhere if he wants to give you drugs for something should your xray be clear...

good luck...
Old Jul 1st 2007, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fubar
Hey Hazeleyes,

I just had my medical done for the green card and paid $180 plus $80 per shot required. Sounds like you had a bargain in regards to this and from my understanding, they accept proof if you have it of previous shots. I had a medical card from my mum stating when shots were given and they accepted that. Somebody on here mentioned to download the forms required and get your local doc or shot store to get upto date prior to going to the medical to save cash. My skin test proved positive and I just told him I was not going on antibiotics if the chest xray was clear.....all done and he gave me my package. Make sure you mention you will test positive prior to the medical and that you will take your business elsewhere if he wants to give you drugs for something should your xray be clear...

good luck...
its not the drugs .. if u test positive and u get positive on ur paperwork it delays AOS by NINE MONTHs while u take a course of tablets..!! Having a skin test knowing its going to be positive is damn dangerous. I ended up having to go to the infectious diseases place and have a blood test that is newly out because i had 2 positives!! Now i have a letter saying i am TB CLEAR and not allowed to take any more skin tests because the reactions will be more and more severe!
Old Jul 1st 2007, 3:29 pm
-K

On Jul 1, 6:24 pm, Deedee13 <[email protected]>
wrote:
> > Hey Hazeleyes,
>
> > I just had my medical done for the green card and paid $180 plus $80
> > per shot required. Sounds like you had a bargain in regards to this
> > and from my understanding, they accept proof if you have it of
> > previous shots. I had a medical card from my mum stating when shots
> > were given and they accepted that. Somebody on here mentioned to
> > download the forms required and get your local doc or shot store to
> > get upto date prior to going to the medical to save cash. My skin test
> > proved positive and I just told him I was not going on antibiotics if
> > the chest xray was clear.....all done and he gave me my package. Make
> > sure you mention you will test positive prior to the medical and that
> > you will take your business elsewhere if he wants to give you drugs
> > for something should your xray be clear...
>
> > good luck...
>
> its not the drugs .. if u test positive and u get positive on ur
> paperwork it delays AOS by NINE MONTHs while u take a course of
> tablets..!! Having a skin test knowing its going to be positive is damn
> dangerous. I ended up having to go to the infectious diseases place and
> have a blood test that is newly out because i had 2 positives!! Now i
> have a letter saying i am TB CLEAR and not allowed to take any more skin
> tests because the reactions will be more and more severe!
>
> --
> Posted viahttp://britishexpats.com- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

Personally I did my medical about 1 1/2yrs ago an my USCIS doctor
recommended to do everything through my family doctor an then after
that to call them back an set up an appointment. They informed me
everything I had to get done. All up after going to my doc an the
USCIS doc it cost me $110. I did ask at the time of my appointment
was this going to be acceptable to USCIS where I was told they dont
know where people go to get everything done they just are concerned
they main physical is done through a authorised USCIS doc so not to
worry. I am yet to get approved for my greencard but so far so good
have not been questioned about my medical. Hope this sheds some light
on the subject.
Good Luck
Kat

Old Jul 2nd 2007, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

hazeleyes has much to be proud ofhazeleyes has much to be proud ofhazeleyes has much to be proud ofhazeleyes has much to be proud ofhazeleyes has much to be proud ofhazeleyes has much to be proud ofhazeleyes has much to be proud ofhazeleyes has much to be proud ofhazeleyes has much to be proud ofhazeleyes has much to be proud ofhazeleyes has much to be proud of

Thanks for all of your replies.

I feel a little less worried now except for the TB testing. I read somewhere on an official site that it was compulsory to do the skin test as from January 1st 2007 . I'm going to actually go into the Civil Surgeons office at the end of the week and try and talk to some one there.

It doesn't really make sense to me have the skin test for me as I know what the result will be. I had my K1 medical at the Knightsbridge doctor in 2004 like everyone does from the UK. There they must have a better understanding as they never even gave me a skin test, just an X RAY.

H.