AOS Medical for K1ers

Old Mar 26th 2003, 5:35 am
Son 5 & Daughter 2 1/2

Pete F is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AOS Medical for K1ers

Hi All..
Looking at the I485 and having spoken to the BCIS help line, I asked about the Medical for AOS..
The 485 specifically states that only the suppliment will be required if the AOS is within a year of your medical in your own home country ..

I was fortunate to get a full signed statement from my GP before I left the UK with jabs and batch numbers listed along with dates.

I also paid for my own HIV test in the UK because I didnt understand the UK medical. I spoke to one of the Doctors in my area in the USA and they said that I needed the physical as well..I explained that I was a K1 and nothing else was required apart from the I693A and they insisted that various bloodwork needed to be done. Total cost.. $230 Ouch...

I then phoned another Doctor and they put me through to their occupational health dept that deals with Immigration examininations. I told them that I was a K1 , had my certified uk jabs. Xray from UK exam, UK HIV test and that I needed just the I693A as per the I485.. She said she would call me back..
About 2 hours later.. she called and said she had spoken to the doctor and he would be happy to help.. Cost.. about $50...

Ok.. Soo.... I693A.. or full medical? That is the question..

Pete
Old Mar 26th 2003, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

sal_whit will become famous soon enoughsal_whit will become famous soon enough

pete

I was lead to believe we did not need the medical for AOS as k1's???? How I read it,Its says because we already had the Jabs,Vaccines and stuff within the past year and by one of their Doc's,We did not need it as they have the results in the "Brown Envelope"
Am I reading this wrong????

Sal
Old Mar 26th 2003, 12:51 pm
Son 5 & Daughter 2 1/2

Default Re: AOS Medical for K1ers

Ok.. Soo.... I693A.. or full medical? That is the question..
Pete

Ok Folks.. I have just got off the phone...

PRINT this out & take it to your medical in case they try and insist on a full medical

http://www.immigration.gov/graphics/i-693faq.htm

Ok.. just spoken to **** (operator number ****) on the helpline and also to Officer ****** whos is an immigration officer at the same place.. They have confirmed at 8:25am on the 26th Mar 2003 that the I693A is the only form necessary and that no medical is further medical is required for a K1 Fiancee immigrant.

I expressed concern that a friend of Scarlett was denied AOS on the grounds of needing a full medical. She said she couldnt comment on that case but it can be a decision made by the inspector at their discression .. The bit about DOS copies seems to have been a fabrication. (Did they really loose the packet from the POE?)

Ok.. well there you go.. find an approved doctor in your area.. Explain you are a K1er and that you only need the 693A not the full exam. We now have proof that thats what was required..
1.. That link..
2. The I485 page 2.
3. The detailed information given to me by the BCIS and an officer.

Difference between $250 and $50

Hugs..
Pete

Scarlett.. Can your friend remember the exact reason she was not OAS'd that day.. was there another reason too ..
Old Mar 26th 2003, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

beyness is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info Pete... things like this always help those going through it soon... we appreciate you sharing what you've learned!
Old Mar 26th 2003, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

kjdrga is an unknown quantity at this point

Now when does the clock start ticking. If you received your orginial physical for the visa say is April. Were married and filed AOS in the same year say in Oct. and received your interview date is May does that mean a whole new medical.

I read it to mean as long as you have filed your AOS documents within a year of the medical you are safe and only need the supplement? Correct? It shouldn't matter the actual date of the interview?
Old Mar 26th 2003, 1:40 pm
ScarlettHill

Originally posted by Pete F
Ok Folks.. I have just got off the phone...

PRINT this out & take it to your medical in case they try and insist on a full medical

Ok.. just spoken to **** (operator number ****) on the helpline and also to Officer ****** whos is an immigration officer at the same place.. They have confirmed at 8:25am on the 26th Mar 2003 that the I693A is the only form necessary and that no medical is further medical is required for a K1 Fiancee immigrant.

I expressed concern that a friend of Scarlett was denied AOS on the grounds of needing a full medical. She said she couldnt comment on that case but it can be a decision made by the inspector at their discression .. The bit about DOS copies seems to have been a fabrication. (Did they really loose the packet from the POE?)

Ok.. well there you go.. find an approved doctor in your area.. Explain you are a K1er and that you only need the 693A not the full exam. We now have proof that thats what was required..
1.. That link..
2. The I485 page 2.
3. The detailed information given to me by the BCIS and an officer.

Difference between $250 and $50

Hugs..
Pete

Scarlett.. Can your friend remember the exact reason she was not OAS'd that day.. was there another reason too ..
It was a series of things - more photocopies of docs plus the need to have all new medicals. The medical bit didn't make any sense but they were adamant. I personally think they lost her file and didn't want to admit it so gave her some bull about the "state department".

The info you dug out here is really helpful, Pete. Thank you.

Regards
-=-
Scarlett

Old Mar 26th 2003, 5:59 pm
Son 5 & Daughter 2 1/2

Originally posted by kjdrga
Now when does the clock start ticking. If you received your orginial physical for the visa say is April. Were married and filed AOS in the same year say in Oct. and received your interview date is May does that mean a whole new medical.

I read it to mean as long as you have filed your AOS documents within a year of the medical you are safe and only need the supplement? Correct? It shouldn't matter the actual date of the interview?
According to the link I posted, NO.. If you FILE your I485 within a year of your old medical in your country. Look at the Ks exceptions on the link.. I have it printed out.. Makes no mention of the date of the interview.. just the filing date.

Ok Folks.. well I just got my Supplement for I693 form signed and ticked off as required for a K1er.. $30 .. Just took all my UK immunisation records and the UK exam Xray just in case..

A few questions, Had I had Chicken pox.. yes.. (I have my uk medical records too and showed her in 1964 when I had)..

This form is more or less the same as your travel jabs booklet you get from the doctors.. Just lists the Jabs you needed in London or wherever with dates recvd if the course was complete (Hep B) and those which arent age appropriate..

As I was told ealier today.. Its totally up to the AOS interviewer on the day.. but from all of my now documented proof, I have, if asked to take another on my day whenever that be, evidence to the contrary..

"We shall see" ;-)

Pete
Old Mar 27th 2003, 12:12 am
Sue Richmond787

Default Re: AOS Medical for K1ers from Pete F

May I ask for the link, not just the "statement" off the link if you don't mind

thank you
Sue

Old Mar 27th 2003, 3:23 am
Son 5 & Daughter 2 1/2

Default Re: AOS Medical for K1ers from Pete F

Originally posted by Sue Richmond787
May I ask for the link, not just the "statement" off the link if you don't mind

thank you
Sue
Certainly Sue.. I posted it earlier in this thread but here it is again in case you missed it..

Look at the exceptions section about 1/2 way down the page .. Look for section 2. Ks..

Actually I just re-read it.. It applies to all the K's. 1,2 AND 3s

Ok Folks.. has this opened up a can or worms or not?.. Again.. I know the examining officer on the day of interview can ask for the whole exam if he has reason to want one... But How many people have had and paid for the whole exam when just the vacc supp was actually necessary according to the BCIS web site, the help desk and an immigration officer.

Hmmm
Old Mar 27th 2003, 12:58 pm
Sue Richmond787

May I ask for the link, not just the "statement" off the link if you
    > don't mind
    > thank you
    > Sue

Certainly Sue.. I posted it earlier in this thread but here it is
again in case you missed it..

Look at the exceptions section about 1/2 way down the page .. Look for
section 2. Ks..

Actually I just re-read it.. It applies to all the K's. 1,2 AND 3s

Ok Folks.. has this opened up a can or worms or not?.. Again.. I know
the examining officer on the day of interview can ask for the whole
exam if he has reason to want one... But How many people have had and
paid for the whole exam when just the vacc supp was actually
necessary according to the BCIS web site, the help desk and an
immigration officer.

Hmmm

--
Posted via http://britishexpats.com

THANKS Pete

Sue

Old Mar 27th 2003, 3:06 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pete F
A few questions, Had I had Chicken pox.. yes.. (I have my uk medical records too and showed her in 1964 when I had)..

This form is more or less the same as your travel jabs booklet you get from the doctors. Just lists the Jabs you needed in London or wherever with dates recvd if the course was complete (Hep B) and those which arent age appropriate.
Thanks, Pete, for supplying this info for us.... You're beginning to be quite a resource for me in preparing for our AOS! LOL

Ok, a couple of questions -- maybe you or someone else can clarify these:

1) Chicken Pox -- From my understanding, the chicken pox vaccination IS required for the AOS vaccination supplement. Being that this vaccination isn't available in the UK, obviously Mark has never had it -- but he DID have chicken pox as a child. He has no medical records to prove that, as such, however. The only "proof" he has is the word of his parents -- can he submit a notarized letter from his mother/father as verification, so he doesn't have to get a vaccination he doesn't need? I'm quite concerned about him getting injected with something he's already been exposed to...

2) Hep B -- I'm still confused about this one. On the London Consulate website, Hep B is listed as an "age-appropriate" vaccination (only 19yo and younger need it).... But on the I-693 FAQ, no mention is made regarding the age of the applicant. I've known people who've gotten the Hep B vaccination course and have had health problems afterwards as a result; again, I'm concerned about Mark getting this if it's not absolutely necessary.

Any input on this?

~ Jenney
Old Mar 27th 2003, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Jenney I share your concern about the Hep B Vaccine as well and my fiance (now husband) when he went in for the medical was marked down as not age appropriate, besides the health concerns it is also a very costly vaccine and we are trying to avoid it if possible.

Tomorrow I am taking my husband to receive his second shot of td at the Fairfax County health dept. it's only $10. I am also going to double check on the hep B, in terms if they administer it to adults these days.

I'll let you know what they say. I know it isn't BCIS that I'm consulting but the Health Dept. which does alot of refugee intakes and so I know they will know what is standard practice. I can go from there. I plan on getting all the shots up to date there and then take the form into the approved physican to get it signed off on.
Old Mar 27th 2003, 4:44 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by kjdrga
Tomorrow I am taking my husband to receive his second shot of td at the Fairfax County health dept. it's only $10. I am also going to double check on the hep B, in terms if they administer it to adults these days.

I'll let you know what they say...
That would be GREAT!! Thank you.

I sort of wish Mark and I were up in NOVA as opposed to Richmond, if only because agencies in that region are probably more accustomed to dealing with immigrants and their various applications. Richmond has its fair share of immigrants, but I'm wary of the sorts of roadblocks we're likely to face due to lack of experience working with the immigrant community.

I also wish we could do everything in NOVA because that's where I'm originally from, and I know where things are or how to find them! But that's another issue entirely...

Thanks again -- I'll be looking for your update; posting it on this thread probably makes the most sense, so others can see it, too.

~ Jenney
Old Mar 28th 2003, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Well after waiting an hour at the Fairfax Co. Health Dept., VA the nurse gave my husband his second td ($10) shot, she said immigration might possibly want to have him have another, but it must be in 6 months. He also got his final MMR shot ($35).

I specifically asked her if immigration requires the Hep B series for him as he is 23, she said no, they don't.

In terms of the TB test, she said when I go to see the physican to take the x ray and if it's not too old and doesn't display any traces of tb they might not require him the tb test, but it's up to the Dr. she said.

Word to the wise. My husband would have gotten the MMR for free since his is 23 but when the cashier asked if it was for college or immigration we said immigration, but if it had been for college it would have been free and the nurse had simply forgotten to tell us not to mention the immigration part. Oh well.
Old Mar 28th 2003, 3:03 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by sal_whit
pete

I was lead to believe we did not need the medical for AOS as k1's???? How I read it,Its says because we already had the Jabs,Vaccines and stuff within the past year and by one of their Doc's,We did not need it as they have the results in the "Brown Envelope"
Am I reading this wrong????

Sal
That's the way it was when we had our AOS interview, Sal. In the past it used to be that you had to check with your particular INS office about having the I-693 supplement filled out or not by the surgeon general (I think that's what he is called ??). Some required it, some did not. Our INS field office didn't. So maybe you should check??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.