AOS medical adventure!

Old Feb 4th 2006, 6:08 pm
Whimsical in the brainpan

Elenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of light
Default AOS medical adventure!

Yes, that's right! I had my medical this morning. Well, half of it, really.

Everything was just fine. Got poked and prodded by the doc, then jabbed for the TB test... but then, everything went wrong. The nurse couldn't draw blood - she tried 5 times, really badly bruised the back of my hand... aaaaanyway, I have to go back in on Monday to try again.

Bwah.
Old Feb 5th 2006, 12:40 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS medical adventure!

Originally Posted by Elenfair

Everything was just fine. Got poked and prodded by the doc, then jabbed for the TB test... but then, everything went wrong. The nurse couldn't draw blood - she tried 5 times, really badly bruised the back of my hand... aaaaanyway, I have to go back in on Monday to try again.

Bwah.
Ouch that doesnt sound like much fun to me. No doubt you wont be looking forward to going back Monday will you?? Fingers crossed they have more success next time without causing you too much bother. Will be thinking of you.
Goodluck

Cheers
Cindy
Old Feb 5th 2006, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Gigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant future

OUCH indeed!

I think I'd be suggesting they should look for a vein in the crook of my elbow!
Old Feb 5th 2006, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

psychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Elenfair

Bwah.
Back of your hand?! I've never had blood drawn from there before. Why didn't she take it from the crook of your arm, which surely must be easier and less painful? I think she must not know WTF she's doing. When you have to go back, I hope you get, or can request, someone else.

Much better luck Monday!!
Old Feb 5th 2006, 3:17 pm
Whimsical in the brainpan

Elenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of lightElenfair is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by psychobabbler1
Back of your hand?! I've never had blood drawn from there before. Why didn't she take it from the crook of your arm, which surely must be easier and less painful? I think she must not know WTF she's doing. When you have to go back, I hope you get, or can request, someone else.

Much better luck Monday!!

She tried BOTH arms and couldn't get it going. Now, I admit, I'm not an easy case. I donate platelets to the Red Cross regularly, and even THEY struggle, sometimes. My veins have been described as "pianist veins" - they are flat, and embedded into muscle, making them hard to see and hard to get into without going straight through. I also have a REALLY high platelet count (that's why apherisis LOVES me) so if you don't get drawing really fast, the blood WILL clog up the line.

This nurse seemed to know what she was doing, but she didn't have a draw on the line, which makes me worry that on Monday it will be more of the same. I just don't bleed fast (I coagulate like nobody's business!) so chances are she won't get very far. Too bad I can't just go to another clinic to have the blood drawn... this is kind of nuts. She tried 5 times - eventually gave up and went for the back of my hand, which was the ONLY time she actually got into a vein. ... and it didn't draw fast enough and immediately coagulated and now I have this nice navy blue bruise on the back of my hand. Hurt like a (*$^&(!&$!, too.

Bwah.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 2:17 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by psychobabbler1
I have "rolling veins" and yes, while it can be more painful to draw from the hand, the vein is very prominent and large there. Better to get it done than have them miss several times in the antecube (crook of arm).

I also have them use butterfly needles on tests that are okay with this -- the smaller needle size means that some substances are broken up and this invalidates the test -- electrolytes have been mentioned.

Haven't heard of "pianist's veins" but my heart goes out to all who are a tough stick.... my arms are hurting thinking about it!