Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS Marriage Interview coming up Chicago

Wikiposts

AOS Marriage Interview coming up Chicago

Old Sep 3rd 2006, 3:15 pm
Janet Arc

Default AOS Marriage Interview coming up Chicago

Has any one RECENTLY - say in the last 6 months had an interview in the Chicago office?

Have a marriage based interview coming up. Concerned 'cos married for only 4 months, and husband based in another state than me (we travel to see each other once a month).....

What is the process like and what type of questions are likely to be asked? Are they mean? or is it pretty straightforward? Do they get pretty nasty?

Old Sep 3rd 2006, 3:57 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS Marriage Interview coming up Chicago

We live in xxxxxx but because we work in different States we get together at weekend or whenever possible..... would sound better ...
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 8:45 pm
Cool Dude

janet arc wrote:
    > Has any one RECENTLY - say in the last 6 months had an interview in the Chicago office?
    > Have a marriage based interview coming up. Concerned 'cos married for only 4 months, and husband based in another state than me (we travel to see each other once a month).....
    > What is the process like and what type of questions are likely to be asked? Are they mean? or is it pretty straightforward? Do they get pretty nasty?

The interview could be very difficult for both of you, it really
depends on the examiner, your paperwork, witnesses, proof of the
bonafide like pictures having bills in both names.
Would family members willing to testify in person? If yes, great take
them with you to the interview.

You will be sworn in, asked to present passport, proof that the us
spouse is a citizen and any us ID's you have. Then your application
will be examined to make sure all docs and applications are presents
and in order.

Then it is really up to the examiner. The fact that you do not live
together could be an indicator that your marriage is bogus, it is not
normal that you get married to someone and not live with him/her. You
might be seperated and questioned, as to the questions they could be
anything that only real married couples know about each other. Like
date of births, names of in-laws, what side of bed you sleep on,
describe alarm clock. One man was asked about the laundry basket. Keys,
you might have to tell what are all your spouses' keys for.

So what is the story are you planning in the near future to live with
your husband? Or is this a long distance marriage?

Old Sep 4th 2006, 5:11 am
Martijn

Cool Dude wrote:
    > Would family members willing to testify in person? If yes, great take
    > them with you to the interview.
As said earlier, the only ones allowed to appear are the couple and
optionally their legal counsil. Family members and friends are NOT
allowed in.
You can bring along written and signed statements by friends and
family.

>> The fact that you do not live together could be an indicator that your
    >> marriage is bogus, it is not normal that you get married to someone
    >> and not live with him/her.
Not normal? A fair lot of couples can't live together 24-7 due to work
schedule, location or other personal circumstances. As long as the
couple can pefectly explain why they are not living together all the
time, and that their marriage is bonafide, it should not have to be an
issue. Financial and legal intermingling are the most important factual
evidence a DAO likes to see.

Old Sep 4th 2006, 5:54 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Janet Arc
Has any one RECENTLY - say in the last 6 months had an interview in the Chicago office?

Have a marriage based interview coming up. Concerned 'cos married for only 4 months, and husband based in another state than me (we travel to see each other once a month).....

What is the process like and what type of questions are likely to be asked? Are they mean? or is it pretty straightforward? Do they get pretty nasty?
Hi:

I can't speak directly about Chicago. But it really doesn't matter -- one person from Chicago may have had the most pleasant DAO possible while another person who was interviewed the same day may have had the DAO From Hell. But I can give general guidelines:

First of all, you MUST follow the three rules I give:

1. Tell the truth. For one thing, it easier to remember. Corrollaries: If you don't remember, "I don't remember" is the true answer. If you don't know, then say "I don't know." Do NOT guess!

2. If you don't understand the question, then say so! If you answer a question you don't understand, then you run the danger of violating rule #1.

3. Most important, but everyone breaks it -- answer ONLY the question asked. As an illustrative example -- Q. Do you know what time it is? The only possible correct answers are "yes" or "no" -- the DAO did not ask what the time was.

Don't try to get into the DAO's head -- you can't do it. If you follow the above three rules, you either help your case OR you avoid "shooting yourself in the foot."

The fact situation you give is not all that uncommon. In fact, when the AmCit petitioner is in the military and deployed overseas, they will even waive her appearance!

Just simply follow the above three rules -- even if you don't get approved that day, you will get approved eventually if the only problem you think is there is the commuter marriage.

Good luck.
Old Sep 4th 2006, 5:12 pm
Cool Dude

Martijn wrote:

> As said earlier, the only ones allowed to appear are the couple and
    > optionally their legal counsil. Family members and friends are NOT
    > allowed in.
    > You can bring along written and signed statements by friends and
    > family.

You should read before replying. The presense of the family and your
telling the officer that could help in getting the approval faster even
that day, try it, you can't lose.

> Not normal? A fair lot of couples can't live together 24-7 due to work
    > schedule, location or other personal circumstances. As long as the
    > couple can pefectly explain why they are not living together all the
    > time, and that their marriage is bonafide, it should not have to be an
    > issue. Financial and legal intermingling are the most important factual
    > evidence a DAO likes to see.

Immigration has a lot of room in making it more difficult for a
seperated couple. Just check Federal filings of cases. In particular
Bark vs. INS.

Old Sep 4th 2006, 9:31 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cool Dude
Immigration has a lot of room in making it more difficult for a
seperated couple. Just check Federal filings of cases. In particular
Bark vs. INS.
Hi:

What's Bark v INS got to do with this? Bark is a part of the case law from the 70's about "non-viable" marriages -- Bark v INS and Dagabhanian v Civiletti were the Court of Appeals cases and the BIA acquiesed in McKee. OP is not talking about a non-viable marriage here.

The OP has a good case based upon her posting -- please don't make what is a nervous situation even more nervus.
Old Sep 5th 2006, 9:10 am
Cool Dude

Check this post
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.v...34d07c1fd97ed4

Here is a better advice, why not move in with your spouse?

Old Sep 5th 2006, 11:02 am
Janet Arc

Wow!! This looks bad.........

We already have one of the best immigration lawyers coming with us. She does not think that it is a problem that we live in different states, due to our work situations and we have explained that we plan to move in together as soon as my husband is done with a big project.......

Can they still separate you and do this to you IF you have a lawyer with you?

Thanks.

---
posted via:
http://www.visaforyou.org/eng/

Old Sep 5th 2006, 11:47 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow!! This looks bad.........

We already have one of the best immigration lawyers coming with us. She does not think that it is a problem that we live in different states, due to our work situations and we have explained that we plan to move in together as soon as my husband is done with a big project.......

Thanks.

---
posted via:
I wouldn't worry about it very much. Many married couples spend time apart becuase of work or school, and they have very solid marriages. Just bring all the evidence you have of your joint life, even though you spend time apart. Bring proof of your visits to each other in case the officer wants to see anything.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Sep 5th 2006, 12:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, of course they can... in many offices, it's standard procedure to separate the spouses and interview them individually.

Ian
Old Sep 11th 2006, 8:28 pm
Janet Arc

Had the interview.

I am NOT sure how to read this.
Here is what happened. We were interviewed together. We presented all the documents and the officer asked a few questions about why we live apart and we said because of work. She asked whether he plans to move to join me soon and he said yes. At the end she said that her decision will come to us in the mail, but that for now the medical form was not completed (the doctor made a mistake)and that we should bring it back as soon as possible. My attorney asked whether it would be approved pending receipt of the medical and the officer said no she cannot tell us the outcome there and then and that her decision will come in the mail............

I wonder what this means? My attorney thinks that we are in good shape pending receipt of the completed medical form, but the officer looked very stern and did not smile or anything, and mentioned something about looking through the information more carefully, and also sending the medical form...

Fretting here.......

---
posted via:

Old Sep 12th 2006, 2:43 am
Capt. Tuttle

janet arc wrote:
    > Had the interview.
    >
    > I am NOT sure how to read this.
    > Here is what happened. We were interviewed together. We presented all the documents and the officer asked a few questions about why we live apart and we said because of work. She asked whether he plans to move to join me soon and he said yes. At the end she said that her decision will come to us in the mail, but that for now the medical form was not completed (the doctor made a mistake)and that we should bring it back as soon as possible. My attorney asked whether it would be approved pending receipt of the medical and the officer said no she cannot tell us the outcome there and then and that her decision will come in the mail............
    >
    > I wonder what this means? My attorney thinks that we are in good shape pending receipt of the completed medical form, but the officer looked very stern and did not smile or anything, and mentioned something about looking through the information more carefully, and also sending the medical form...
    >
    > Fretting here.......
    >
    > ---
    > posted via:
    > http://www.visaforyou.org/eng/

Just to give you a little hope....
We were approved in the morning, got the stamp in the passport, and were
very happy. That afternoon the officer called on the phone and wanted
more information!!! He wasn't clear on just what information he wanted.
I sent more pictures and financial papers and called my Senator's
office. I was told that all paperwork is checked over by someone higher
up the chain. Without too much delay my wife's card arrived in the mail.
I don't understand why the officer didn't give you more some hint as to
the outcome, but I hope once the medical paperwork is sent you will be
approved.

Old Sep 12th 2006, 3:17 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

We presented all the documents and the officer asked a few questions about why we live apart and we said because of work. She asked whether he plans to move to join me soon and he said yes.
Hi Janet,

I hope it all works out for you, and you get speedy approval after turning in the medical info. Just curious, how did the officer come to ask about living apart? Was there something on your forms that said so? Did you offer the information with that wording? Just curious, since I'm in the same situation...my husband and I live in Phoenix but he works in Los Angeles. We had our AOS interview last year and this issue never even came up.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Sep 13th 2006, 3:17 am
Janet Arc

Well, I turned in the medical form that day. So we will just have to wait to see what happens.

Renee, she looked in his W2 and that was how she found out that he works in LA and I work in Chicago. That did not seem to concern her that much because we had all our joint insurance, joint bank account, joint lease, joint lease and we also travel to see each other once a month.

She gave me back my work auth. card etc. as well. I will just have to wait it out.

What I was told was that IF they were going to deny it, they would have done so on the spot! Worst case, they will ask for more information, which I will gladly send to them. Just want to be over the first hurdle - i.e. the conditional.

Thanks for your input..

---
posted via:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.