Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS and Marriage Certificate

AOS and Marriage Certificate

Old Aug 26th 2010, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute
Default AOS and Marriage Certificate

Hey everyone, quick question. We're getting official and being married on Saturday. We have two paper documents for the marriage license and certificate. So the officiant signs both (as I understand it) and we get the one with "Customer copy" on it.

Is that one ok to copy for the AOS or do we have to request an official copy from the state of California?

Bit unclear on this so Ta in advance!
Old Aug 26th 2010, 12:19 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS and Marriage Certificate

In our day, and believe it is true today as well, you needed the registered copy which shows the filing information. Depending on where you are getting married, you might be able as we were to hand carry the signed license to city hall and have them register it immediately and/or return it to you within a few days. We left a prepaid second day mail pouch with them to send it to us.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 7:40 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MandyNi
Hey everyone, quick question. We're getting official and being married on Saturday. We have two paper documents for the marriage license and certificate. So the officiant signs both (as I understand it) and we get the one with "Customer copy" on it.

Is that one ok to copy for the AOS or do we have to request an official copy from the state of California?

Bit unclear on this so Ta in advance!
You need to have the recorded version of your marriage certificate, so after it has been to the country office and stamped or whatever they do to it locally.

PS: hope you're planning to post some photos!
Old Aug 27th 2010, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you both. Yep will try and post a piccie or two when I can!

M x
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

SwissMan has much to be proud ofSwissMan has much to be proud ofSwissMan has much to be proud ofSwissMan has much to be proud ofSwissMan has much to be proud ofSwissMan has much to be proud ofSwissMan has much to be proud ofSwissMan has much to be proud ofSwissMan has much to be proud ofSwissMan has much to be proud ofSwissMan has much to be proud of

We're in the process of trying to get copies of the marriage certificate from the Los Angeles recorders office and they couldn't be less helpful. The will not tell you if you're marriage license has been processed, but they did say that most of the time they'll have the certificate done, but it'll pile up in their 'IN' box for some time before anyone enters it into the system.
No kidding, this is what we were told by a person at the recorders office.

I'm wondering if it doesn't make sense to hedge our bets, as it were, and see if there's a way to extend the date for the AOS. I don't know it for a fact, but I can't help but believe others have been held up waiting for the city red tape machine in the past.

Does anyone know what the process is for getting an extension?
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:22 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SwissMan
We're in the process of trying to get copies of the marriage certificate from the Los Angeles recorders office and they couldn't be less helpful. The will not tell you if you're marriage license has been processed, but they did say that most of the time they'll have the certificate done, but it'll pile up in their 'IN' box for some time before anyone enters it into the system.
No kidding, this is what we were told by a person at the recorders office.

I'm wondering if it doesn't make sense to hedge our bets, as it were, and see if there's a way to extend the date for the AOS. I don't know it for a fact, but I can't help but believe others have been held up waiting for the city red tape machine in the past.

Does anyone know what the process is for getting an extension?
How do you mean, extend the date for the AOS?

The K-1 is admitted for 90 days. During that time, s/he must marry the USC petitioner.
Ideally, the AOS application would go in during that 90 days, but curiously, it's not actually mandated. However, until you file AOS, there is no valid immigration status from Day 91--AOS Receipt Date. While there is no consequence to the AOS from filing later, there is no immigration benefit either.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

SwissMan has much to be proud ofSwissMan has much to be proud ofSwissMan has much to be proud ofSwissMan has much to be proud ofSwissMan has much to be proud ofSwissMan has much to be proud ofSwissMan has much to be proud ofSwissMan has much to be proud ofSwissMan has much to be proud ofSwissMan has much to be proud ofSwissMan has much to be proud of

Part of the AOS is submitting a registered marriage certificate from the city.
If we can't get said marriage certificate within the 90 days we can't submit an AOS.

My understanding was that if you didn't send in your docs for the AOS by the 90 day deadline bad things happened. So, is that not true? You can go past the 90 days and nothing happens?
Old Aug 31st 2010, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by SwissMan
Part of the AOS is submitting a registered marriage certificate from the city.
If we can't get said marriage certificate within the 90 days we can't submit an AOS.

My understanding was that if you didn't send in your docs for the AOS by the 90 day deadline bad things happened. So, is that not true? You can go past the 90 days and nothing happens?
I guess it depends.. for some people 'nothing happening' *would* be 'bad things'!
There is no active penalty for not filing AOS within the 90 days. The penalty is that the immigrant is left in limbo. Many people file their AOS after the 90 day K-1 admission.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 6:26 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I believe you are confusing those who enter under the VWP, marry and then should at all costs file before their 90 days allowed under the VWP expires.

It is not the same for K-1 recipients. The 90 days only applies to the act of marrying not to applying for AOS.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

Fatmike85 will become famous soon enoughFatmike85 will become famous soon enough

I think I sent a certificate I got from the county clerks office. The one the officiant gives you is more for show I think. Like a diploma to put on the wall or something! haha!
Old Sep 4th 2010, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Hmmmm well I know it says on the documents that it will take weeks. My 90 days are up on 4th October but I suppose if necessary I could always submit the package with a copy of the witness/officiant signed one and say that I will forward the official one as soon as LA county get their act together.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 5:09 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm well I know it says on the documents that it will take weeks. My 90 days are up on 4th October but I suppose if necessary I could always submit the package with a copy of the witness/officiant signed one and say that I will forward the official one as soon as LA county get their act together.
If you submit your AOS package without the marriage certificate, you will receive an RFE for the missing document. Only then can you forward it to USCIS. If you try to send it yourself, later, it will never get matched up with your file over there. Personally, I'd wait until you have all your documents in hand and then file a complete AOS package, and not risk getting an RFE. What if the RFE gets lost in the mail or something, you never respond to it, and your case gets closed? It's happened before. You want to avoid that possibility.

Rene
Old Sep 4th 2010, 6:50 pm

Happy Wedding Day, Ms Mandy!!!
Come let us know when you are Mrs Mandy.

If you do the above, you'll be submitting an incomplete application, and the whole thing is put on hold (AP + EAD too) because that's required evidence.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Rene and M. guess I'll just have to be patient and wait then. At lest I can get all the other stuff sorted before it arrives I guess.

I am indeed a Mrs. now, we had our fab wedding day on 28th August, it was small but perfectly formed lol! We spent the day of our wedding lounging around on our patio watching the humming birds feed off the flowers, drinking and bathing in the patio fountain. About an hour before I decided I'd better shower and get ready lol. Said our vows overlooking the vineyard and hill in Napa, it was beautiful and I'm hoping to spend some anniversaries there too!
Old Sep 5th 2010, 5:45 pm

It sounds beautiful and relaxed and perfect.. many congratulations!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.