Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS from Los Angeles - Where to start? Does it have to be by mail?

Wikiposts

AOS from Los Angeles - Where to start? Does it have to be by mail?

Old Mar 23rd 2001, 4:26 pm
MrJimmy

Hi, My wife and I got married while she was here on her tourist visa. We live in Los
Angeles. I have been looking at some info re immigration processes, and it's got me a
little confused. What should be our FIRST step towards getting her AOS? It looks like
it all has to be done by mail here in L.A., from what I've gathered.

Is filing for AOS the first step, or do we first get an id card at dmv or a soc.
sec. card from SSA. Can I get her on my bank account without the CA ID card first?
Seems like a red-tape catch-22? Which comes first, the chicken or the egg? And is
it possible to speed things along with an attorney, or is it just as fast if I do
it myself? (I would rather not pay $1000+ for an attorney unless it's really
necessary. Our "case" should be simple - they asked her no questions at the border,
and she's had her visitor visa a long time and visited me twice before - this time
we just went to Vegas and got married while she was here, and she of course is
going to stay here.)

Any advice? Also, if there's anyone in Calif. who is currently going through this and
would like to share info by e-mail, please let me know...

Old Mar 24th 2001, 2:51 am
Alvena Ferreira

MrJimmy wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
that is correct.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Just file the adjustment of status. Ifyou want to use attorney but cannot really
afford one, there are very cheap legal services available in the INS building at LA:
Go up to the third floor of the INS building and follow the blue "Immigration Legal
Assistance Project" signs to their office. Be there before 9:00 am, they are strictly
a walk-in clinic. I think they open at 8 or 8:30. While they will use their computer
to print out all of the forms from scratch, it wouldn't hurt to have everything you
have filled out with you for reference. Make sure you have all of the appropriate
fees in the form of money orders, and the $175.00 fee for the lawyers. Since you are
filing for AP, that may cost another $25.00, but I'm not sure...take $200.00 with you
just to be safe. Make sure you have all supporting documentation like passports,
birth certificates, etc. As far as your sponsors go, since they will need to notarize
the support forms, yes that person will need to be there, as well as your United
States Citizen petitioner. You will probably be there until almost noon.

Within a week, they will mail you your INS receipt with your A# on it. Guard that
cheap cash register receipt with your life. Within three weeks or so, you will get a
letter telling you when to go and get your Employment Authorization Document. I just
got that letter and my appointment is for April 21st, which means from when my
package was filed until I get my EAD, 49 days will have elapsed. Usually, if you mail
your stuff, it takes up to 90 days. While I didn't apply for AP, they assured me it
was faster if they filed it.

See this URL: http://www.lacba.org/community/ilap.html

alvena

Old Mar 24th 2001, 4:02 am
Michael

Here is the sequence that my wife(Thai) and I followed:
1. send in AOS by certified mail to INS(incl. EAD paperwork)
2. received crate letter with EAD appointment, a don't call us we will call you in 25
months message(dated Apr'2000)
3. received EAD card after appointment
4. filed for AP with the LACBA. This is very inexpensive competent legal assistance
available at the INS Building at 300 N. Los Angeles Street, Room 3017. Personally
all of my future dealing with INS will be through them. EAD renewal, AP renewal,
anything that I can remember at this time renewal
5. filed for a SSN
6. received SSN and then filed for CA ID
7. received CA ID
8. still waiting for our interview for a permanent residency card(the elusive
green card)

Old Mar 24th 2001, 7:11 am
Sandy Gonzalez

Hello, My husband and I got married just a little over a month ago and we applied for
AOS at the Westminster office in CA which is a sub office of Los Angeles. First of
all, are you a US citizen? If you are, then you may submit the Petition for an Alien
Relative which is form I-130 along with the Application for Adjustment of Status
(AOS) which is form I-485 together. You can order these forms through the INS website
and they come with instructions and other information you may need. Your wife needs
an Employment Authorization Card, form I-765, before she can apply for a SSN. You can
also sumbit that form with your other apps. My husband and I applied on March 1st and
his appt to go pickup his EAD is on Apr. 2nd. So it took about one month to get. Then
with that she can apply for a SSN. Then with BOTH the EAD and the SSN, she can apply
for a driver's license at DMV. There's also an Affadavit of Support, form I-864,
which you have to fill out to show you make enough money to support her so she
doesn't become public charge. If you go to the INS website there is a "How do I"
section and if you look under "How do I adjust status while residing in the US" it
will tell you ALL the forms you need to fill out and how to order them through mail.
You can also download the forms as well. There are many other forms which I did not
discuss, but I hope it helps you. Go check out the website.

Sandy the newlywed

Old Mar 24th 2001, 9:43 am
Mr Jimi

Thanks for the info. What bothers me is that if we file by mail, we don't have any
proof that they've received the check and application, right? So it could never get
there, and we would lose months... So from that stand point, maybe it's better to use
the legal service on the 3rd floor of the INS building? The idea of just mailing
something off with no proof of receipt bothers me...

Thanks again.

Old Mar 24th 2001, 1:28 pm
Michael

If your scared of the USPS losing your application send it registered to get a
tracking number. If your scared of not having any proof the INS received your
application also send it certified with a return receipt. Michael

Old Mar 25th 2001, 7:43 am
Mr Jimi

Still seems like going with the cheap attorney service sounds like a better way to
go, doesn't it? That way, they have the responsibility of making sure things get done
properly...

Old Mar 26th 2001, 1:03 am
Jonathan_ATC

Or what? Do you think there is someone to hold them accountable if they mess up
your case? No.

--
Jonathan _/ _/ _/ _/ K-1 Fiance Visa Immigration through to Adjustment of Status
http://clik.to/getk1 K-1 & Adjustment of Status Links Page
http://clik.to/K1andAOSLinks Newsgroup FAQ http://www.k1faq.com Arnaldo and Alvena's
Fiance Visa Page http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/ Immigration and Naturalization
Service http://www.ins.usdoj.gov {I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. For
reliable legal advice, please consult with a professional immigration attorney.}

>
    >
    >

Old Mar 26th 2001, 7:29 am
L

oh man.... don't I wish! Linda

Jonathan_ATC wrote:
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Still seems like going with the cheap attorney service sounds like a better way[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > to go, doesn't it? That way, they have the responsibility of making sure things[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > get done properly...[/usenetquote2]

Old Mar 26th 2001, 2:50 pm
Mr Jimi

So are you saying you think it's better to do it yourself than to have lawyers do
it (file for AOS)? Seems to me that if the lawyers do it, they are less likely to
screw it up, and if you have problems, they are more likely to be able to deal
with them. No?

Old Mar 26th 2001, 3:34 pm
Vicki

Don't count on it. I shelled out $500 to an immigration attorney who gave us BAD
advice...dangerous advice. It cost us precious months...but following his advice
would have resulted in worse consequences. Name available on request if you are in
the Phoenix area.

When I got the paperwork that his office typed up for us - never mind his bad
advice - the INS forms had a plethora of typos and just plain sloppy workmanship.

We cut our losses and fired him -- went to the AILA website and got a
recommendation for a wonderful attorney. She has not only done the filing for us,
explaining everything fully, but has given us moral support as well. But I would
have done a better job than the first dipwad we hired, just following the
instructions and filling in the information by myself.

I think that for a simple, straightforward case, sites like Alvena's and
Jonathan's make it unnecessary to hire an attorney. If we had gone with the first
attorney and let him screw us up, I truly believe that he would have his hand out
for more money to try to get us out of the trouble he put us in.

Vicki

Mr Jimi wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >

Old Mar 26th 2001, 3:40 pm
Jonathan_ATC

I hope that more of those who have had bad attorney experiences will write in also.
--
Jonathan _/ _/ _/ _/ K-1 Fiance Visa Immigration through to Adjustment of Status
http://clik.to/getk1 K-1 & Adjustment of Status Links Page
http://clik.to/K1andAOSLinks Newsgroup FAQ http://www.k1faq.com Arnaldo and Alvena's
Fiance Visa Page http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/ Immigration and Naturalization
Service http://www.ins.usdoj.gov {I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. For
reliable legal advice, please consult with a professional immigration attorney.}

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Mar 26th 2001, 10:49 pm
Grinch

>

I gave a lift to an attorney once. He let loose a smelly fart in my car. Very bad
experience.

Grinch

Old Mar 27th 2001, 12:03 am
Betastar

>

I've heard great things about our first lawyer, but she certainly screwed us up. Not
for the K-1 but for the B1/B2. Sure, he got his visa, but she reassured us that he
could indeed come on his B1/B2 and stay for 5 months and also still work over the
internet for his company in Austria (which we all now know is NOT true, and is a big
part of what got him sent away). She also told us to sort of gloss over the fact that
he had a US Girlfriend (we weren't engaged at the time)

I also distinctly remember her recommending the B1/B2 because if we DID want to marry
while he was here, he could do an AOS, which she said you can't do on the visa waiver
(also something we know to be NOT true).

The next lawyer I went to, to talk about K1 issues, was after I started reading this
group, the FAQ, the websites....

She told me straight out that it sounds like I have enough knowledge that I shouldn't
waste my money by hiring her.

I liked her - and we did the K1 ourselves.

Betsy & Reinhard Married 4 months and 3 days. =)

Old Mar 29th 2001, 9:04 am
MDUdall

>
    >

Alvena, I know their site says they provide this service for people with low income.
Do you know what that threshold income level is? I've tried calling them to find out,
but can't seem to get through.

Best Regards, Matthew Udall

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.