Wikiposts

AOS K-1 and K-2

Old Dec 13th 2001, 4:19 am
Michael D. Young

Hi All!

Since it looks good so far that my fiancé and her daughter will receive their
visas in the next couple months, I figured it was a good time to start thinking
about the AOS.

They will be applying through the Vermont Processing Center, so here is my question.
Do we assemble one packet with both of their forms and proofs or two separate
packets? Just worried how they will keep them together, since the K-2 approval is
dependent on there being a K-1. If we make two packets, should we rubber band them
together with all the checks on top of the K-1 packet or keep the payments separate?

At least the AOS submission looks like it pretty straight forward, i.e. provide form
X and proof XYZ. Not like the fiancé petition where you worry about what things and
how much you should submit as proof.

Take care,

Mike

Old Dec 13th 2001, 4:37 am
Andy Platt

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

They should only be applying through VSC if Baltimore is the local INS office to you.
If it is, VSC is the place to send it, otherwise find out your local INS office.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

If they are mailing the applications they should assemble the applications separately
(with the filing fees attached to each one individually) but mail them together. If
they are filing in person (some local INS offices only) you will give them one at a
time. Often offices will process them individually and it is not uncommon for the
K-2er to receive a different interview date from the K-1er.

>
    >
    >

Yup - a longer list of proof comes at the interview time rather than when the
application is filed.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Dec 13th 2001, 5:05 am
Ranjini

First off, you file at your local INS office. And don't separate the two packets.
Keep them together. Go to: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
And click on "AOS: K1/K2" Another useful link:
http://alixtcat.50megs.com/forms/step4.htm Hope this helps. Ranjini

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Dec 13th 2001, 5:11 am
Tj

We just had our AOS Interview in Vermont this past Monday (10th) and surprisingly
they didn't ask for any proof, though we came prepared. The letter calling us to the
interview only requested the EAD card, Advance Parole Papers and my wife's passport.
The interview itself was short and friendly. My wife's adjustment was approved. She
got her "Green Card" stamp in her passport and was told to expect the actual card in
about 4 months.

Old Dec 13th 2001, 8:48 am
Betastar

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001 18:05:57 GMT, "Ranjini" <[email protected]> spake:

>

Unless you live in Baltimore. The only TWO reasons you might file for AOS in an
office in Vermont is if you live in Baltimore or if you live in Vermont

(Don't forget the people who live in Vermont!)

Betastar

Old Dec 13th 2001, 9:49 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Mike,

We assembled 2 separate packets, one for my wife and one for my stepson, and used 'bulldog' clips to hold everything together. Two medium-size clips, one to hold each of the two complete packets together, and a bunch of the small size clips to hold each of the forms and its supporting documents together within each packet. Separate check clipped to each form that required a fee (I-485 and I-765) plus a check for my wife's fingerprinting fee.

We put both packets into the same envelope with a single cover letter that listed each item in each packet, in order.

As Andy noted, the receipt notices gave different processing time estimates for my wife and stepson, 13 months and 10 months, respectively. The interviews were scheduled together, however, and the actual processing time turned out to be 9 months. (Submitted to Newark, NJ, interviewed in Cherry Hill, NJ.)

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by Michael D. Young
Hi All!

Do we assemble one packet with both of their forms and proofs or two separate packets? Just worried how they will keep them together, since the K-2 approval is dependent on there being a K-1. If we make two packets, should we rubber band them together with all the checks on top of the K-1 packet or keep the payments separate?

Take care,

Mike
Old Dec 14th 2001, 2:26 am
Andy Platt

>
    >
    >
seems
    >
be a
    >

It's a pilot program so they probably picked it because it was a quiet office. The
idea is that it would be much more efficient (for the INS) if they processed all
applications at service centers and just have the offices for interviews, enquiries,
etc (they currently process employment-based petitions in this manner). Hopefully the
pilot program is failing miserably and they won't extend it elsewhere.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.