AoS for K-1 interview in London

Wikiposts

AoS for K-1 interview in London

Old Nov 19th 2009, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Jade84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AoS for K-1 interview in London

Hello again!

Just one question regarding this issue, as my UK fiance's interview in London is coming up soon...

My father has agreed to sign/uphold the AoS for the K-1 interview and then again for the one that will be due when we make the permanent status adjustment.

So the AoS that my fiance will need for the K-1 interview in London is the 864, right? Thats basically my question. Any additional information that anyone has regarding the AoS is welcome.

I'm getting SOOOOO excited for this interview. Would it make things any better if I went with him to London for that? I'll be in England then, as we are flying back to the US together once he gets the visa.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 3:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AoS for K-1 interview in London

Originally Posted by Jade84
Hello again!

Just one question regarding this issue, as my UK fiance's interview in London is coming up soon...

My father has agreed to sign/uphold the AoS for the K-1 interview and then again for the one that will be due when we make the permanent status adjustment.

So the AoS that my fiance will need for the K-1 interview in London is the 864, right? Thats basically my question. Any additional information that anyone has regarding the AoS is welcome.

I'm getting SOOOOO excited for this interview. Would it make things any better if I went with him to London for that? I'll be in England then, as we are flying back to the US together once he gets the visa.
No. The Affidavit of Support needed at the K-1 interview is the I-134.

The I-864 is the Affidavit of Support needed for the Adjustment of Status (AOS), after he arrives in the USA and after you get married.

Both forms can be found at www.uscis.gov, Forms, All Forms.

It neither helps nor hurts if you are at the interview. However, he has to let them know ahead of time that you'll be coming with him, and they won't allow you to approach the interview window (unless they have some specific question just for you).

Good luck for a great interview!

Rene
Old Nov 19th 2009, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
No. The Affidavit of Support needed at the K-1 interview is the I-134.

The I-864 is the Affidavit of Support needed for the Adjustment of Status (AOS), after he arrives in the USA and after you get married.

Both forms can be found at www.uscis.gov, Forms, All Forms.

It neither helps nor hurts if you are at the interview. However, he has to let them know ahead of time that you'll be coming with him, and they won't allow you to approach the interview window (unless they have some specific question just for you).

Good luck for a great interview!

Rene
Thanks for your info! I actually was just reading the k-1 wiki, and stumbled across this:

That being said, some documents are a standard for the K1 visa application process. One such document is form I-134 (Affidavit of Support) which establishes that the foreign fiancé(e) has the required financial support to not become a public charge while residing in the United States. In the case of a K1 visa application, the financial support has to come from the sponsoring USC who filed the petition for the K1 visa.

That last part is a little confusing to me, as I understood that my dad could be the one to complete the I-134 on my behalf. That is allowed, right?
Old Nov 19th 2009, 4:09 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your info! I actually was just reading the k-1 wiki, and stumbled across this:

That being said, some documents are a standard for the K1 visa application process. One such document is form I-134 (Affidavit of Support) which establishes that the foreign fiancé(e) has the required financial support to not become a public charge while residing in the United States. In the case of a K1 visa application, the financial support has to come from the sponsoring USC who filed the petition for the K1 visa.

That last part is a little confusing to me, as I understood that my dad could be the one to complete the I-134 on my behalf. That is allowed, right?
Yes, that's allowed. The wiki is wrong. In fact, if he has enough in savings himself, he doesn't even need a USC to do an I-134 to sponsor him.

Rene
Old Nov 19th 2009, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes, that's allowed. The wiki is wrong. In fact, if he has enough in savings himself, he doesn't even need a USC to do an I-134 to sponsor him.

Rene
Hmmm...okay. He probably has enough in savings, but I'd really just prefer to be on the safe side. I've begun to resort to over-doing it a little on the whole "being prepared" thing because I'm sick of having to pay for mistakes by having to wait longer. LOL

I guess it might not hurt to bring this up now, but do you have any idea of the questions they will ask him in the interview? I'm a little concerned about them asking why he was denied entry in April of this year (we were planning to be married while he was on the visa waiver, but they never even asked about that - once he told them that he had just quit his job and given up the flat, they had him on the next available flight back to England. They never asked if I was his fiancee). Obviously, being honest seems like the right answer, but I'm a little worried about what he should say if they ask this question.

Thanks again!
Old Nov 19th 2009, 4:56 pm

Hmmm...okay. He probably has enough in savings, but I'd really just prefer to be on the safe side. I've begun to resort to over-doing it a little on the whole "being prepared" thing because I'm sick of having to pay for mistakes by having to wait longer. LOL

I guess it might not hurt to bring this up now, but do you have any idea of the questions they will ask him in the interview? I'm a little concerned about them asking why he was denied entry in April of this year (we were planning to be married while he was on the visa waiver, but they never even asked about that - once he told them that he had just quit his job and given up the flat, they had him on the next available flight back to England. They never asked if I was his fiancee). Obviously, being honest seems like the right answer, but I'm a little worried about what he should say if they ask this question.

Thanks again!
Don't worry...they probably won't ask about it, but even if they do, he should just explain what happened the way you did. It won't hinder his K-1 visa, in fact it shows he is doing the correct procedure now after all.

Rene