Wikiposts

AOS from a K-1

Old Mar 21st 2009, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute
Default AOS from a K-1

Ok I know I may be getting ahead of myself a bit now as i have yet to have the K1 Interview at the London US embassy...BUT I'm looking into what needs to be done afterward's if/when my visa application is approved.

I understand applying for my SSN soon after I would arrive in the US is the best thing to do which I believe I get from here: http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.html

Then as far as I can tell I need:

*I-485 + 2 photos (US size)
*Copy of my birth certificate
*I-693 (will I get given then at the K1 interview at the embassy?)
*G325a
*I-864 (The I-134 cant be used again for this instead right?)
*I-765 for EAD + 2 photos
*I-131 for AP + 2 photos
*I-797 for Fiancee petition approval
*Marriage Certificate
*Evidence of on going relationship (join accounts etc)

Im a little confused on a couple of things:

Whats the I-130 for? Does a K1 visa applicant need it or is the I-864 all that I need?

What is the I-94?

The other thing im confused about is the AOS package says
Evidence of eligibility to adjust status. This can be proved in the following ways (not an exhaustive list): A copy of the I-797 (Notice of Action) which has made a visa number available to you for adjustmet based on an immigrant petition
Yet the Process says:
1. Applicant compiles AoS package for submission to USCIS.
2.Applicant mails AoS package to the Chicago Lockbox if they are:....
4. Applicant receives an I-797 for each accepted application that was in the AoS package.

How can I give them the I-797 in the package if I have to send the package to get the I-797....

Thankyou in advance for the help, this forum has been a priceless tool of information and support!

Last edited by PepsiChic; Mar 21st 2009 at 12:42 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 11:58 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: packet 3 checklist for K1 Visa

Originally Posted by PepsiChic
*I-864 (The I-134 cant be used again for this instead right?)
Right. You need the I-864 form for AOS.

Whats the I-130 for? Does a K1 visa applicant need it or is the I-186 all that I need?
You do not need an I-130 for AOS after you arrive on a K-1. I'm not sure what an I-186 is without looking it up.

How can I give them the I-797 in the package if I have to send the package to get the I-797.
They want to see the I-797 from the I-129F approval.

Rene
Old Mar 21st 2009, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Right. You need the I-864 form for AOS.

You do not need an I-130 for AOS after you arrive on a K-1. I'm not sure what an I-186 is without looking it up.

They want to see the I-797 from the I-129F approval.

Rene
Ok the I-186 is Affidavit of Support, same as the I-134 I've had to get for the K1 interview. I was hoping i could just use it again but if not no worries.

Ty for the clear up on the I-797 it did confuse me for a moment but that makes a lot more sense now! I did update my post above too. Any idea on the I-94?
Old Mar 21st 2009, 12:17 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

The I-94 is the white card you hand in at the POE (fill it in on the airplane). You are more used to the I-94W, the green visa waiver version.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by meauxna
The I-94 is the white card you hand in at the POE (fill it in on the airplane). You are more used to the I-94W, the green visa waiver version.
Ah ok, so when i fly in on the K1 visa I need to fill out the White form not the green one?

And yes I've always flown in on the VW so im used to the green form. i still have the stapled parts in my passport!
Old Mar 21st 2009, 12:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah ok, so when i fly in on the K1 visa I need to fill out the White form not the green one?
Correct.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 12:24 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, you've got it. The I-94 determines the length of stay in the US. You'll be admitted as a K-1, which is a 90 day admit.
You should make best efforts to have your AOS filed by that date.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 12:26 pm

Default Re: AOS from a K-1

Whats the I-130 for? Does a K1 visa applicant need it or is the I-186 all that I need?
I-186 doesn't seem to be any immigration-related form. What form did you mean here?

Rene
Old Mar 21st 2009, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

I-186 doesn't seem to be any immigration-related form. What form did you mean here?

Rene
Oops sorry i meant the I-864!

Re:
Completed form I-864 if your application is based on a K1 visa, an I-130 filed by a relative, or an employment based visa petition (I-140) related to a business that is 5% or more owned by your family
I was trying to work out if i needed both I-864 and I-130
Old Mar 21st 2009, 12:32 pm

Oops sorry i meant the I-864!
I was trying to work out if i needed both I-864 and I-130
Oh, ok. No I-130, but yes to the I-864.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh, ok. No I-130, but yes to the I-864.
Thanks and here I am making up immigration forms when I have enough to fill out already!

I bought two folders one to put all the K1 interview stuff in and one to get all the AOS stuff in - I like to be prepared!

However, im full of questions as always. I see the fee for the AOS is $1010 as of now (hopefully it wont change anytime soon) is there a separate fee for the EAD and AP?
Old Mar 21st 2009, 12:37 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

There is no seperate fee for the I765 for the EAD or the I131 for AP.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 12:37 pm

However, im full of questions as always. I see the fee for the AOS is $1010 as of now (hopefully it wont change anytime soon) is there a separate fee for the EAD and AP?
No, the $1,010 fee includes the applications for the EAD and AP. It's good to be prepared!

Rene
Old Mar 21st 2009, 12:38 pm

Thanks and here I am making up immigration forms when I have enough to fill out already!

I bought two folders one to put all the K1 interview stuff in and one to get all the AOS stuff in - I like to be prepared!

Where did you see the fee? You can & should always find the correct fee and mailing address on the form download page.

Oh, look!

Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status
Filing Fee :
$930 plus a biometrics fee of $80; the fee total is $1,010. Exceptions listed below. There is no fee for applicants who are filing Form I-485 based on having been admitted to the United States as a refugee. Applicants 80 years of age or older are not charged a biometric fee; the fee total is $930. Applicants under 14 years of age: - Filing with the I-485 application of at least one parent have a fee total of $600 - Not filing with the I-485 application of at least one parent have a fee total of $930
Special Instructions :

Please note that, if you file Form I-485 to adjust your status as a permanent resident on or after July 30, 2007, no additional fee is required to also file an application for employment authorization on Form I-765 and/or advance parole on Form I-131. You may file these forms concurrently. If you choose to file the I-765 and/or I-131 separately after July 30, 2007, you must also submit a copy of your I-797C, Notice of Action, receipt as evidence of the filing of an I-485. If you filed your Form I-485 prior to July 30, 2007, you must pay the fees associated with Forms I-765 and/or I-131 when you file.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks everyone, I did some research to try and get information about the forms i need etc I guess i missed the bit about no extra fee for the EAD and AP sorry!

Your help is priceless, thankyou all again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.