Reload this Page >

AOS inteview - question

Wikiposts

AOS inteview - question

Old May 22nd 2002, 3:20 pm
Skirrit

Default AOS inteview - question

Hi,

I receive a letter from the INS today basically telling me that I have an appointment
for our AOS interview.

While this is a joyous occasion, it raises a couple of questions :

It tells me to bring, amongst others, the following forms :

- Current medical exam results, form I-693, with supplement I-693 to verify that your
immunizations are current
- Form I-864 (Affidavit of support) must be submitted with the income tax returns for
the past three years from all sponsors.

I'm not sure here. Do I have to get a new medical? My previous medical was done less
than a year ago, and they have it. Same question for the I-864. My wife has a new job
now, do we have to fill out a new form or can we use copies of the old one, or,
better still, will the INS have all that when we go for our interview?

Thanks for any advice you can give. Skirrit

Old May 23rd 2002, 12:20 am
Andy Platt

Default Re: AOS inteview - question

"Skirrit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I receive a letter from the INS today basically telling me that I have an
    > appointment for our AOS interview.
    >
    > While this is a joyous occasion, it raises a couple of questions :
    >
    > It tells me to bring, amongst others, the following forms :
    >
    > - Current medical exam results, form I-693, with supplement I-693 to
verify
    > that your immunizations are current
    > - Form I-864 (Affidavit of support) must be submitted with the income tax returns
    > for the past three years from all sponsors.
    >
    > I'm not sure here. Do I have to get a new medical? My previous medical was done
    > less than a year ago, and they have it.

You should just need the supplement.

> Same question for the I-864. My wife has a new job now, do we have to fill out a
    > new form or can we use copies of the old one, or, better still, will the INS have
    > all that when we go for our interview?

Yes, a new I-864. Lots of things will have changed from the one you filed with - to
be honest, I have no idea why they require it at filing; it should be dealt with
purely at the interview. Luckily it's not a difficult form to
do. You'll need to bring copies of any tax returns you hadn't already filed but you
don't need the ones they already have.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old May 23rd 2002, 10:20 am
Des

If you had your medical already, and it's less than 1 year old, don't redo it - they
should have it in your file. Hopefully, your doctor gave you the I-693 vaccination
supplement for your own files so you have proof of it (but some doctors put it into
the envelope). If you don't have it, you may have your own vaccination records (that
you had updated if necessary during the INS medical?) to prove that you have
complied... but just hope for the best. Worst case scenario, you probably still have
the check you wrote for the medical that is dated less than one year ago.

As for the I-864, I had the same worries before our interview. I got a letter of
employment, and just to be on the safe side, filled out a new I-864 but it turned out
the INS-officer didn't even want it. He did, however, take copies of all the new tax
returns that we had not had available at the time of filing, co-sponsors included.

I simply took a little booklet with all the copies of everything we had ever
submitted to the INS, in case anything was lost and to avoid getting a continuance.

-Des

Old May 23rd 2002, 11:20 am
Skirrit

> If you had your medical already, and it's less than 1 year old, don't redo it -
    > they should have it in your file. Hopefully, your doctor gave you the I-693
    > vaccination supplement for your own files so you have proof of it (but some doctors
    > put it into the envelope).

I had to redo the vaccination supplement here in the US although I went to great
lengths to provide the INS doctor in my home country with all my vaccination records.
Maybe they couldn't read his handwriting or something.

> As for the I-864, I had the same worries before our interview. I got a letter of
    > employment, and just to be on the safe side, filled out a new I-864 but it turned
    > out the INS-officer didn't even want it. He did, however, take copies of all the
    > new tax returns that we had not had available at the time of filing, co-sponsors
    > included.

I get the impression that their main intrest is in seeing that you're not going to
run out of money. All the rest is kind of secundary?

Thanks for your answer.

Old May 23rd 2002, 9:20 pm
Des

> I had to redo the vaccination supplement here in the US although I went to great
    > lengths to provide the INS doctor in my home country with all my vaccination
    > records. Maybe they couldn't read his handwriting or something.

Well, all that matters is that you have it if needed!

> I get the impression that their main intrest is in seeing that you're not going to
    > run out of money. All the rest is kind of secundary?

My impression is that they have to ensure enforcability of the I-864, thus the
collection of the tax returns. THey do not want you to become a public liability...

Good luck! -Des