Wikiposts

AOS Interview Worries.

Old May 20th 2002, 12:20 pm
Jim Vadek

Default AOS Interview Worries.

Here's the deal. My wife and I have been together 6 years, living together for more
than four years and married for slightly less than two. I don't wear any jewelery
(i.e. no wedding band). My wife has her own credit cards, and I have mine. All we
have listed together is a joint bank account to pay some bills. There is no need to
have shared accounts because she has been living at the same address for the last 10
years - why change the names on the bills, right? And together we each make enough
money that the bills don't make a dent at all.

AOS interview is going to be fun, right? How do we prove our marriage, when true
marriage is not really based on things like names on bills etc... I really need to
figure this out!

Old May 20th 2002, 5:20 pm
Shelley

Default Re: AOS Interview Worries.

Do you have the same auto insurance policy or health insurance? Does either of you
have a life insurance policy with the other named as beneficiary? How about joint tax
returns? Pictures of the two you together? Take Care. Shelley

"Jim Vadek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Here's the deal. My wife and I have been together 6 years, living together for more
    > than four years and married for slightly less than two. I don't wear any jewelery
    > (i.e. no wedding band). My wife has her own credit
cards,
    > and I have mine. All we have listed together is a joint bank account to
pay
    > some bills. There is no need to have shared accounts because she has been living at
    > the same address for the last 10 years - why change the names on the bills, right?
    > And together we each make enough money that the bills don't make a dent at all.
    >
    > AOS interview is going to be fun, right? How do we prove our marriage,
when
    > true marriage is not really based on things like names on bills etc... I really
    > need to figure this out!

Old May 20th 2002, 7:20 pm
Skaternl

I suppose your tax returns jointly ?? That's proof. I suppose you have photos from
your marriage. At least SOME PHOTOS that show you are married since then. You have
both your names on the least contract for your apartment or on the title of your
house ?? You have car insurance with both your names on it ??

See, there are more things you can think about to proof your marriage. Wedding bands
and credit cards are only the tip of the mountain Be creative As long as you
stay honest.

Don't worry and good luck,

Daniel

"Jim Vadek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Here's the deal. My wife and I have been together 6 years, living together for more
    > than four years and married for slightly less than two. I don't wear any jewelery
    > (i.e. no wedding band). My wife has her own credit cards, and I have mine. All we
    > have listed together is a joint bank account to pay some bills. There is no need to
    > have shared accounts because she has been living at the same address for the last
    > 10 years - why change the names on the bills, right? And together we each make
    > enough money that the bills don't make a dent at all.
    >
    > AOS interview is going to be fun, right? How do we prove our marriage, when true
    > marriage is not really based on things like names on bills etc... I really need to
    > figure this out!

Old May 20th 2002, 10:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Jim

My Jim and I were in the same situation as you two and adjusted status without a problem. Also just applied for removal on Friday and don't think there will be a problem with that either.

We live in the same apartment I've rented since 1976; the utilities only in my name; one joint checking account; separate savings accounts; separate healthcare from our respective employers; separate cars; etc.

For the AOS interview we were ready with an explanation regarding the non-joint aspects of our relationship if required. It wasn't. We included:

Joint car insurance; one credit card which I added Jim to; cards and envelopes addressed to us both from holiday and anniversaries; letters from employers stating each other as beneficiaries to life and 401K plans; vacation itineraries and photos; etc.

For the removal I wrote a loooonnnnggg letter describing what our marriage was like. Outlined the reasons why we have separate accounts and cars and often travel without one another. Told them our emotional stability when it comes to trusting and respecting one another's need for individualism as well as our togetherness as a couple, etc. and that we don't have to live in each other's back pocket to have an honest, valid marriage. Advised that our marriage differs from that our young couples because our goals are different, grandchildren vs. children, retirement plans vs. home ownership.

Be creative and prepared to explain if the need arises.

Rita